111 replies to this topic

#101 ross1983

ross1983

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

This may have been discussed but I'm to lazy to really check. At the end of brans last chapter in adwd, he dreams of the blood sacrifice that we assume happened long ago. He tastes the blood as it reaches the weirwood roots. Is it possible the knowledge of the person sacrificed could also enter the weirwood as the roots absorb the blood? Kind of similar to how those who sing the song of earth go into the weirwood when they die. Is that why bran wants theon sacrificed at the weirwood? Possibly to know and understand all theon knew? If u think about it theon has lots of knowledge of the boltons inner workings. And that could be of great value to someone who s home was taken and loved ones betrayed by boltons.

#102 ross1983

ross1983

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

I know we're not sure if bran wants him sacrificed at all. Just suggesting that it may be bran and bloodravens intention.

#103 evita mgfs

evita mgfs

Lady Evyta Upon Broadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Bran definitely could warg Theon, but for what purpose? Why would he want to be Theon? It would be a stretch for people who hear Theon speak to believe that another “voice”, namely a Stark lord, is communicating through Theon, IMO. Bran can speak through the ravens – and maybe Bran will speak through the mouth of the heart tree! I think I would rather see talking trees than Bran in Theon. I want Bran to warg someone “cool” – or with the equipment to be someone cool, like Hodor! Bran even suggests this to Maester Luwin when he bemoans the fact that he can no longer be a knight. I think there is more foreshadowing for Bran achieving his dreams of being a knight through Hodor.

Bran and his ravens witness the wedding. So Bran knows all. He and BR have a purpose for Theon, but I do not think it is warging, per say.
Asha being burned is interesting – since in her name we have ASH-A. It would be ironic if nothing else!

#104 BearandMaidenFair

BearandMaidenFair

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I was trying to think of how Theon could cause the most trouble (because that's what he does) and I keep landing on him possibly killing Stannis. I'm not too worried about how practical this could be, I'm just interested in how it would effect Westeros

(If he's alive) Jon Snow would be trapped with Melisandre at the Wall with Others marching from the north and the Boltons marching from the south (which is unfortified). Davos would be tracking Rickon with no plan once he finds him. Plus: infinitely more flaying

#105 firepoet

firepoet

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

I'm not sure about killing Stannis, but I do like the idea of him not being mentally stable, causing something to get royally screwed up.

#106 WakeTheDragon

WakeTheDragon

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

I don't think Stannis will kill him. No idea how it will play out but I'm positive he'll live.

#107 ICRYRAGE

ICRYRAGE

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Theon Greyjoy 1000 Commander of the Night's Watch

#108 Slayer of Lies

Slayer of Lies

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

My big problem with Theon being executed (besides being one of the most complex and interesting characters) is the big deal GRRM made out of Asha's revelation right before she abandoned Deepwood, that the Kingsmoot was...moot and Euron's crown is false. I feel like Theon still has a part to play in all that.

/agree.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':agree:' /> This. Asha's arc seems entirely too dependent upon returning to the Iron Islands - with Theon - to simply watch/let him die immediately after his escape.

Furthermore, her understanding of - and apparent - respect for godswoods and northern powers appears to increase significantly throughout The Sacrifice. Example:

“What has your southron god to do with snow?” demanded Artos Flint. His black beard was crusted with ice. “This is the wroth of the old gods come upon us. It is them we should appease.”

“Aye,” said Big Bucket Wull. “Red Rahloo means nothing here. You will only make the old gods angry. They are watching from their island.”

And later:

A raven was perched atop one [of the Peasebury corpses], pulling at the tatters of burned flesh that clung to its blackened skull. The blowing snow had covered the ashes at the base of the pyre and crept up the dead man’s leg as far as his ankle. This old gods mean to bury him, Asha thought. This was no work of theirs.

For me, the notion of Asha's increased understanding about the old gods is effectively corroborated by her interjecting the "request" in Theon I that Stannis send him to the island, especially after hearing Theon's old gods "reveal" to Asha:

"The heart tree knew my name. The old gods. Theon, I heard them whisper. There was no wind but the leaves were moving. Theon, they said. My name is Theon."

I'm more or less banking on an event significant enough to "change the course" of Theon's current imprisonment. But we'll see.

#109 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

I see Theon on a great frozen lake, sacrificing himself in a way that will be destined to become Iron Born legend.
Perhaps he lures Roose, Ramsey, a significant vanguard, or a large portion of the Bolton host onto the lake to see it collapse under the weight.
Theon killing the Boltons and dying by drowning would be awesome.

#110 Miriel

Miriel

more prone than you to believe in magical mumbo jumbo

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Theon Greyjoy 1000 Commander of the Night's Watch

NIce first post. I think this idea is working for me. I have gone from extreme hatred of Theon and wishing him every sort of cruel death to now feeling sorrow for him and hoping he can find some sort of redemption.

#111 Big Daddy Dave

Big Daddy Dave

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I see Theon on a great frozen lake, sacrificing himself in a way that will be destined to become Iron Born legend.
Perhaps he lures Roose, Ramsey, a significant vanguard, or a large portion of the Bolton host onto the lake to see it collapse under the weight.
Theon killing the Boltons and dying by drowning would be awesome.

That's...that's actually REALLY cool.

#112 Petyr Patter

Petyr Patter

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

I suspect if Stannis and the North learned Bram and Rickon were still alive, Stannis would be willing to hold onto him for a bit longer. Especially if it meant a Kingsmoot could be summoned again with a chance to get the Iron Isles under this thumb. Euron would have to respond, and would have his captains return to the Islands with him. Of course, the captains would never vote for Theon over Euron unless he did something absolutely disastrous as a leader (which he might), but more likely he'd show up to end the farce and make sure his legitimacy remained strong. At which point, ambush! Maybe Stannis, maybe Aeron, maybe Asha.

Thats how I would play it out.