Tyrion Post Battle (Book Spoiler Alert)

JonBran

I think they've played up the Kingsguard armor enough over both seasons to make clear that it was Mandon Moore.

They have, but the Kingsguard armor isn't exactly flashy. I'm sure they'll have Tyrion vocalize it later on, but still I wonder how many missed that.

i dont mind, at least this way we dont have him whining about his nose 24/7

They have, but the Kingsguard armor isn't exactly flashy. I'm sure they'll have Tyrion vocalize it later on, but still I wonder how many missed that.

Yeah it wouldn't have hurt to have Tyrion say something like "what are you doing?"

i dont mind, at least this way we dont have him whining about his nose 24/7

Yeah it wouldn't have hurt to have Tyrion say something like "what are you doing?"

He's a good enough actor that he didn't have to say it, his facial expression communicated it pretty clearly.

The extent of the wound is irrelevant. Tyrion is "a mishapen dwarf" from the get-go. Peter Dinklage wasnt and isnt. The only thing that the wound accomplishes is to lay up Tyrion for some time, so that he loses credit for his part of the battle and is undercut among the KL victors as in the book.

I think it'll be fine. They have Joffrey ordering the two Kingsguard to stay close to Tyrion and a shot of Tyrion smiling at him. People should definitely know for sure it was a friendly slashing his face, and, to me, they gave enough hints. I think the best part was them cutting to Cersei right after.

It was definitely obvious enough that he was attacked by a member of the Kingsguard. I watch most episodes with my brother and he picked up on it (he was shocked). This is coming from someone who didn't know who the wildlings were and needed me to tell him, BTW.

You can definitely tell the people who are book readers but don't understand television. Nose CGI is out of the question. Facial prosthetics followed by makeup painted on top would be a significant investment to daily shoots. Peter would need to show up at 4am every morning to get all that makeup done, ala Michael Dorn when he played Worf. Plus remember that he's a dwarf; any makeup team needs to be careful about making him look like a cartoon character or alien. This is fantasy, not sci-fi. HBO deliberately chose not to make the Tyrion character look grotesque with mismatched eyes, as there are practical considerations.

He'll get some light scar makeup to note the permanent disfigurement, and move on. Maybe 25-30 minutes in the makeup chair instead of the usual 15.

I will be fine if he's left with a big scar on his face. He needs to have a remarkable mark to be 'noticeabble' among all the other dwwarfs.

Talking of Varys, I never really got why he talks of Daenerys to Tyrion in the last episode, while he's is supposed to be a Targ supporter and work for her. Anyway. Great episode.

In the books, it is unclear whether Mandon Moore was sent by Cersei or Joffrey. I go back and forth on this, but there's evidence and arguments to be made each way.

But in the show, I think it's pretty obviously Joffery. Tyrion hasn't done anything to really warrant murder from Cersei. He didn't kidnap Tommen and threaten him with rape. He didn't poison Cersei to keep her out of Council meetings for a while, and as far as she knows, she has great leverage over him by kidnapping his whore/girlfriend. Cersei has been generally less ruthless in the show as well than in the books.

Joff on the other hand, is more willing to kill and order people killed. He did it to Ned, he did it to the bastards, and he loves ordering people to fight to the death. Tyrion slapped him several times in public and talks down to him constantly. Joffery does not abide this sort of slight. I think he's clearly the prime suspect in the show.

Like the book, I imagine we won't find out who sent Ser Mandon Moore. But I think it's a little odd that people are pointing at Cersei as if she's obviously the one. If I were coming to the show for the first time, I'd say Joff is clearly the guy.

Like the book, I imagine we won't find out who sent Ser Mandon Moore. But I think it's a little odd that people are pointing at Cersei as if she's obviously the one. If I were coming to the show for the first time, I'd say Joff is clearly the guy.

Yes, based on what we're given in the show, Cersei doesn't like him but this act would be a stretch. Joffrey being upstaged by him, slapped and insulted multiple times makes more sense based on what they have had Joffrey do to others to this point.

That said, I do hope we don't see him til next year. Would love that as a cliffhanger.

I'd always assumed it was Cersei who set Ser Mandon to dispose of Tyrion in the books as well. The show plays it more as either commanded by Joffrey or inspired by Joffrey. What was it he said, "Ser Mandon and Ser Boras will represent the King on the battlefield"? That sounds pretty laden with innuendo to me, like Joff's just ordered Tyrion's death without Tyrion knowing it.

Working against that thought is the idea that Joff himself was so overwhelmed with cowardice from seeing some of the realities of war that he wouldn't strike me as having the confidence to order a hit. He talks big but when it hits the fan, he's nowhere to be found.

Well if you have read all the books Varys either was using Dany from the start or changed his mind when he found out she actually had Dragons.

The Epilogue from a Dance with Dragons makes it clear who he wants on the Iron Throne.

Working against that thought is the idea that Joff himself was so overwhelmed with cowardice from seeing some of the realities of war that he wouldn't strike me as having the confidence to order a hit. He talks big but when it hits the fan, he's nowhere to be found.

Exactly my thoughts. Tyrion is a hindrance to Cersei's regency. She has more to gain from Tyrions death than anyone, and makes it clear how she hates her brother. She blames him for Joffrey in the battle, Myrcella's departure to Dorne, etc. She wants Tyrion dead before she can due further harm to her children.

I really want them to chop off half his nose. He is so ugly in the books. TV Tyrion does not even have mismatching eyes and ugly ears. Also why aren't his hair white? (It does seem important for a possible *ahem* future revelation).

No, he's not 'that' and I'm pretty convinced that there will not be such revelation.

Archived