[Book Spoilers] Stannis the Mannis

Stannis was a good general for Robert. He's a decent general now...although so far in battles he is 0-1. He's unlikely to be a good king. Although in Westeros there's not a lot to live up to, considering the last two kings.

He's 0-1 if you're only counting the TV show.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

That's one of my favorite Stannis quotes and your sig is awesome. Just wanted to pop-in and say that.

Flattery will get you...very far, Ser....very far indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

In medieval times it was common for poorer lords with fewer men at their command to fight. Kings would also fight if the situation was dire, and it was dire, seeing as his field commander had just been taken out. There's always a chance an arrow will hit you, but that chance is always small. It wasn't like he was running 3 metres ahead of everyone. As for going up the ladder first, the wall was hit where the defences were weakest - you could easily see there wasn't space on the battlements for a large number of men to await the defenders, there wasn't even enough space to get a good surround. He faced 2 vs. 1 odds at most and Stannis, as almost any man trained from childhood to be a knight and then a lord would be, is going to be more skilled than random militia / men-at-arms. It would've been a different story if he had happily been cutting away armour-plastered heavy knights, but I don't think this was as unrealistic as people are making it out to be. The fighting was in fact very realistic, I've mentioned it before but I'll say it again: the choreographer did an amazing job getting the actors to display medieval techniques. Caesar and Alexander the Great would be other examples of real-life commanders who also fought.

In the end I can just bring it down to this: Stannis is a BAMF and haters gonna hate.

Well, the medieval techniques weren't all that accurate, since chainmail cannot be pierced by hand weapons. Even couched lances and point blank crossbows have difficulty with that. Its only disadvantage to plate is the need for thick padding. Also, men-at-arms were no less armored than knights.

As for real life examples, Stannis strikes me as a Henry V. Not the Shakespearean version, but the real deal. He's got lots of experience since his youth, he is dedicated to his goals and he doesn't shy away from the thick of fighting (in the books, he was cut off from the walls by wildfire in the river, but likely fought the Lannister-Tyrell horde as he was forced to retreat).

ETA: It just struck me... Stannis is leading a starving, demoralized and disintegrating army while a strong force of enemies is approaching... The battle for Winterfell will be Stannis's Agincourt.

Stannis the Mannis Baratheon for king! Stannis for the win!

This guy is just radiating bad-assery all the time. I absolutely loved how he fought in the Blackwater, and the only scene he had that I disapprove of was the choking of Melisandre.

I do not think Stannis will ultimately prevail. I think that Dany and her Dragons (and Stannis' ultimate hatred for the Targs... and the fact that he was going to kill her) make it hard for him to prevail against that type of opponent.

As I stated before; I think Stannis will attack the Others as King and in doing do preserve the realm long enough for Dany et al to actually beat back the Night.

I hope Stannis gets the opportunity to go out on an honorable and just blaze of Glory.

I agree that it was awesome, and I think Stannis is the rightful and best king for Westeros, but I can't help but feel that him charging in as an action hero just makes him seem like somoene who would be a worse king. He should be a clever and cunning military strategist who stayed back to give orders and be able to improvise with his charge. It proves that he is no coward, though.

*ADWD spoilers*

I'm ashamed to admit but it took me a while before I actually started liking Stannis. I was outraged originally when Renly was killed - It was such a surprise from a series where magic has played such a small part to see magic kill off a main character and after the blackwater I assumed Stannis was finished and didn't think much more of it. But the more I read the books, the more my appreciation for him grows. In one episode of the series he explains why he was compelled to kill Renly with the shadow - his younger brother used his popularity to gain a crown, while Stannis could rely only on his right as the elder brother to rule. He held storms end for a year, ate rats when the food ran out, nearly starved alongside his men and would have were it not for Davos Seaworth. He suffered through all this but at the end of the seige storm's end was taken from him and given to Renly, who hadn't fought for it, hadn't starved for it, hadn't done or achieved anything to warrant it. Yet Stannis obeyed. He gave up his seat and went to Dragonstone like the leal lord he was. His brother snubbed him, but Stannis did nothing because Robert was his King and elder, so he had the right of it and obeyed. But then Robert dies, his "children" the product of incest with his wife and brother-in-law. Stannis knows it is his time to rule. But in spite of this, his younger brother Renly again takes what should be his - the loyalty of the reach and the stormlands. Unlike any other King in the War of the five kings, Stannis has payed his dues - Robb was just a lord seeking vengence, Balon Greyjoy was a brutal rebel seeking glory, Joffrey was an entitled ass-hat, Renly took his crown on a whim because his boyfriend told him to. Stannis is alone in having suffered for the throne. Can you really blame him for what he does to Renly? The culmination of a decade of resentment towards his younger brother who spits in his eye again when he declares himself king.It wasn't really out of character for Stannis - he did show remorse afterward but this really was the only way Stannis could possibly begin his rule and Stannid will do what is necassary.

When Stannis lost at the Blackwater he saw his forces reduced to practically nothing, just the two thousand he had left at the start of his campaign. The whole world seemed to conspire against him - If Edmund Tully had allowed Tywin lannister to cross the river, Stannis would be sitting on the throne. If someone less gifted than Tyrion had been in control of kings landing, he still could have taken the city in time for the Lannister/Tyrell attack. If he had brought Mel with him, he might have killed Petyr Baelish before a pact was made between Lion and Rose. But nothing went right and he was forced to flee. Then in his darkest moment, he sailed for the wall and resuced the kingdom from the wildlings before they could breach it. Now he marches on Winterfell, seeking to claim at least one of the seven kingdoms back. Stannis and Stannis alone is the man to rule the 7 kingdoms. Don't get comfortable Tommen, Euron, Aegon and Dany. He ain't finished yet.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree that Stannis would make a great king, but I absolutely cannot agree that he is the rightful king. The Targaryen empire built the 7 kingdoms, and my loyalty will always be to Fire and Blood!

But Stannis's grandmother was a Targaryen. So he's the only King involved in the war who is notably Targaryen, at the time of Blackwater.

Having a Targaryen grandparent wa s a notable part of Robert's 'right' to the Iron Throne. He was the oldest male leader of the victors with the right heritage.

Stannis, being male, has more right to the Iron Throne than Danerys under the Westerosi rules of succession.

Archived