232 replies to this topic

#41 YouKnowNothing

YouKnowNothing

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

From reading the books I really don't want to like Stannis, but watching the episode tonight really has changed that. /dry.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' /> At certain points I got chills watching. Oh yes, and the head chopping scene was gnarly. It reminded me that Stannis is a battle veteran.

#42 sagaz

sagaz

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

"But your Grace, hundreds will die!"

"Thousands."

The face of Dillane before he says "thousands" was epic!!! I'm searching for the meme right now! (I'd do it if I know how....)

Edited by sagaz, 28 May 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#43 Dragon of Valyria

Dragon of Valyria

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Eh. Stannis was behind until his field commander went boom. The situation changed, and unlike Joffrey, Stannis knows how to make men fight for him.

Seems to fit quite well.

Don't you all get it? There is no "rightful king." The only defensible society is the democratically elected Wildlings or perhaps the Night's Watch. You don't derive supreme power from some aquatic tart.

...and not the Freehold of Volantis, or the other semi-republican Free Cities?

And what about fire-breathing winged tarts? /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Edited by Dragon of Valyria, 28 May 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#44 salt

salt

Branana Tree

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

I'm a big fan of Stannis, but I still would have said that him being the first one up the ladder and being right in the thick of the front line combat was a little over the top- EXCEPT that it balances out some terribly lame non-book stuff from the earlier episodes, namely his 'OH GEE A SON? REALLY MEL FOR TRUE GRUNT MOAN SEX' scene.

#45 The Smiling Eye

The Smiling Eye

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Imagine if Stannis had Melisandre with him? How do you guys think the tide of battle could have been turned?

He was incredibly badass. Seeing him fail to take the city was heart wrenching. Damn Lannister scum!

#46 Hear Us Roar

Hear Us Roar

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

I love that they did not keep him on the sidelines

#47 Triskele

Triskele

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 28,652 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

From reading the books I really don't want to like Stannis, but watching the episode tonight really has changed that. /dry.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' /> At certain points I got chills watching. Oh yes, and the head chopping scene was gnarly. It reminded me that Stannis is a battle veteran.

That was my initial reaction in the books too...I didn't really want to like Stannis at first (rooted for Renly in the early-going of CoK), but as time went on he kept listening to Davos, kept keeping a level head, and kept going up against folks I didn't care for.

#48 xythil

xythil

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

It doesnt bother me because it makes sense...

#49 Lies And Perfidy

Lies And Perfidy

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Stannis getting dragged away from the battle by his own men was such a splendid added moment.

One realm, one god, one king.

#50 kimo333

kimo333

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

he's always been my favorite king

#51 Harrad

Harrad

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

Eh. Stannis was behind until his field commander went boom. The situation changed, and unlike Joffrey, Stannis knows how to make men fight for him.

Seems to fit quite well.

...and not the Freehold of Volantis, or the other semi-republican Free Cities?

And what about fire-breathing winged tarts? /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Semi-republican as in the rule of the rich? O wait..that's what we have. But seriously how can any of those "kings" have a better claim? Stannis is the rightful heir to a usurper over a conquering foreigner who ruled by right of dragons (i.e. fire-breathing winged tarts). Lets leave out rightful and wrongful. The only distinguishing characteristic is a continuum of "honor" that leads to self-destruction on on end (Ned) and dynasty-destruction on the other (Joff). Who has just the right enough?

#52 tolthar

tolthar

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

I thought this very vividly and subtly illustrated just who stannis is. What martin did was forfeit the idea that Stannis is a rear commander and show us that his sense of honour and righteousness would drive him to recklessley charge into battle in order to attain what he wants. Hence his men having to drag him from the battlements as they are losing. it doesn't really ruin his character. I could very possibly imagine Stannis doing this which is why i liked it.

#53 The Halfhand

The Halfhand

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

That was my initial reaction in the books too...I didn't really want to like Stannis at first (rooted for Renly in the early-going of CoK), but as time went on he kept listening to Davos, kept keeping a level head, and kept going up against folks I didn't care for.

This. I first started liking Stannis in the books when they went back to Dragonstone and he kept on letting Davos off the hook.

#54 DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

I agree that Stannis would make a great king, but I absolutely cannot agree that he is the rightful king. The Targaryen empire built the 7 kingdoms, and my loyalty will always be to Fire and Blood!

They're called the 7 Kingdoms because the Kingdoms were already well and built and had 7 kings long before the Targaryans came along. All Aegon did was conquer them. If Daenerys has right to the throne cause Aegon defeated everyone, then Stannis does because Robert made everyone bend the knee and swear to serve him as well.

But in the books, doesn't it mention that during the Greyjoy Rebellion, Stannis was the first one through the castle wall?

I thought I remembered that being mentioned by a character. Admittedly, that was when Robert was King and he was just a commander, but if that's Stannis's personality, it makes sense he'd try to lead the assault on the gates.

Thoros of Myr and Jorah were the first ones over the Wall at Pyke, Stannis was busy handing Victarion his ass in naval combat and taking Wyk.

#55 Keep Shelly in Athens

Keep Shelly in Athens

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Stannis wanted that stupid city so badly...it was riveting to see. I think this "throne lusty" Stannis was an improvement over the books because there he was kind of apathetic about ruling, like lawful zombie, just following the rules (that conveniently benefit him, but he never seemed jazzed about it, just bored). He's so much classier when Show Mel's not around to tempt him with bastard sons that he would never legitimize anyway by his own honor code...*ahem*

I worry that they will only have a short time to show Stannis' camp, post-defeat in the next ep, which will most likely be jam packed. The scene I'm dying to see in S3 (4?) is his big epiphany about "protecting my kingdom to win my crown." That line right there has always made me think that GRRM is on Team Stannis (EAT IT, Weiss).

Edited by Keep Shelly in Athens, 28 May 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#56 Eggplant Wizard

Eggplant Wizard

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Another thing they did really well was Stannis speech before the battle, if you want to call all four words of it a speech. He said something like "let's go get em" ... not the most inspiring words ever spoken. Basically, it reinforced what Renly said: people don't like Stannis. He isn't inspiring. It was such a great character moment.

#57 Independent George

Independent George

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

Stannis kicking ass was a great addition from the book. That was one thing I never got from the books was that he was a great soldier - you heard it but you never saw it.

But jeez stannis if you are going to be first off the boat, first to the wall, and first up the ladder - could you put a freaking helmet on?

The helmet thing is the same reason why the Night's Watch won't wear hats, and the pilots in BSG had those ridiculous lights inside their visors - it's so viewers can see their faces and react to their emotions. I like realism, but if it's a choice between realism and drama, I think you have to go with drama.

It might be a deviation from the books, but we needed to see why people fear Stannis. Until now, all we got was gossip from people; we gradually came to see his inner strength once he was separated from Melisandre, but now we got to see the war leader that even Tywin was wary of.

#58 Stannis is the Mannis

Stannis is the Mannis

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

Good topic title.

Also, I agree. Great episode for Stannis.

#59 Zappotack

Zappotack

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

So maybe in ADWD he will march on Winterfell with a war hammer...

not complaining

#60 Stag's Fury

Stag's Fury

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

I would have gladly lay down my life for Stannis. He's actually the only character in the book that I like enough for me to fight for lol.