[Book spoilers] Sansa

Ser Hippie

I think Sophie is doing a great job with her role. She's nailed every scene we've seen her in this season. I loved seeing her delivery to Tyrion during last night's episode, her scenes with Cersei were great. It was so obvious who the real queen was there.

Sansa is a very internal character but Sophie is doing a great job of getting her character across despite this. I love her.

I'm honestly surprised at the love for Sophie Turner's acting here. Because I think she has been absolutely horrible. Maybe it is the monotony of the emotions Sansa is supposed to convey but I think Sophie Turner has major facial expression problems when acting. And I know that people are going to say she is supposed to have a deadpan delivery of everything because she doesn't really mean anything she is saying but I think she was this way last season too when she had a much larger range of emotions.

With that said she was better in this episode. Her scenes with Cersei probably stole the show away from all the amazing action scenes we saw outside (which were absolutely great too).

What are you talking about? Sophie Turner's facial expressions have been amazing! Especially this season, and especially this episode. Go back and rewatch them when she is talking to Joffrey in the Throne room before he goes out to the battlements. When she says, "your right your Grace, I'm stupid. Of course you'll be in the vanguard. They say my brother Robb always goes where the fighting is thickest, and he is just a pretender". She was truly amazing there. I don't know how anybody could think otherwise. Not to mention her lines with Shae and Cersei.

I hope this does not mean the show is setting her up to be blamed for the coldness of their marriage.'

Unfortunately, I think she's going to get blamed regardless (Tyrion's a popular character to begin with and Dinklage is more or less the face of the show) - so while I agree that the popular view that Sansa is at fault is wrong, I guess I'm just happier with people feeling that way because she's "ungrateful" and views him as a Lannister now and forever and his looks aren't really as big a part of it (at least I suspect they won't be) as that leads to a lot of the "Sansa's a superficial bitch" type commentary.

As a result, I fear it makes no sense for show followers (who have not read the books, like those on the unspoiled speculation thread over on TWOP) that Sansa didn't just go with him. In the books, Sansa has good reasons not to go with him (seeing as he seemed just as likely to rape or kill as to save her) but I'm afraid this didn't come over well in the show.

I'm not sure about this myself either. Some non-readers I've seen have put forth that Stannis was about to win the battle and Sansa preferred to rely on him than a drunken Sandor she doesn't really know. I haven't seen as much hand wringing as I feared, but maybe more will come out once the aftereffects of "wow wildfire!", etc. wear off.

Unfortunately, I think she's going to get blamed regardless (Tyrion's a popular character to begin with and Dinklage is more or less the face of the show) - so while I agree that the popular view that Sansa is at fault is wrong, I guess I'm just happier with people feeling that way because she's "ungrateful" and views him as a Lannister now and forever and his looks aren't really as big a part of it (at least I suspect they won't be) as that leads to a lot of the "Sansa's a superficial bitch" type commentary.

I'm pretty certain this will happen no matter what HBO does going forward. Every person I have talked to IRL who watches the show but has not read the books absolutely loves Tyrion.

I can already see them setting Sansa up to be blamed for not loving Tyrion...

they've already vastly changed the dynamics of his relationship with shae, for example. they have tyrion and shae actually expressing true emotions!

in the books, despite his occasional forays into fantasy, she was his paid whore and he reminded her of her place on many an occasion.

but then again....HBO may decide to have Sansa more sympathetic towards him in the show

I can already see them setting Sansa up to be blamed for not loving Tyrion...

they've already vastly changed the dynamics of his relationship with shae, for example. they have tyrion and shae actually expressing true emotions!

in the books, despite his occasional forays into fantasy, she was his paid whore and he reminded her of her place on many an occasion.

but then again....HBO may decide to have Sansa more sympathetic towards him in the show

Well in real life most non readers don't know the book Tyrion, my wife included she always liked Peter Dinkledge, she was confused when I complained he's too handsome.

I had to give her the true picture of what he looks like in the book and added the whole Lannister family messing with House Stark,then asked her would you marry him knowing what you now know and her answer was a no.

I thought Sophie's acting in season 1 was a little rough but she did a fair job of portraying Sansa the way I thought of her from the books. Season 2 has been a much better round of acting so she's clearly really getting into her role now and of course everything's changing dramatically for Sansa so her scenes have been really much more epic with the near rape, throne room humiliation, and now these fantastic scenes with Cersei over the past few episodes. Just fantastic.

As for fans hating Sansa because she doesn't love Tyrion... I don't think most of you are giving viewers who don't read the books enough credit. Despite a whole lot of Tyrion fanfare, I think most people can easily relate to a young girl's emotions like Sansa in this situation. Particularly considering all the setup they've given her with the many 'wooden face' scenes where she simply parrots the words she knows everyone wants to hear. No one is going to blame her for being even more unhappy once she's forced to wed Tyrion. If anything, it will simply lend even more empathy to her while at the same time giving Tyrion even more mad props.

Good point about her remarks to Tyrion--I think at first he was surprised, as I was, that she would wish him well--but then the bit about Joffrey made it clear how Lannisters really stand in her mind.

As BlueQueen pointed out this is a case of using the same words twice but having the opposite meaning in the two cases. Sansa begins talking cordially with Tyrion, the person who has helped protect her from Joffrey, and sincerely wishes him protection in battle. At that moment Joffrey walks in and she switches to her rote response to also wish Joffrey well, but this has the opposite meaning directed at that sadist. Her best personal outcome for the battle would be Joffrey killed, Tyrion surviving, and Stannis defeated.

I think Sophie owns this role. I agree sometimes she acts a little immature, but I think that's the point of Sansa's character at this stage - Sansa is an immature girl plunged into a very adult situation. She's growing up fast, but it's not going to happen overnight and nor should it.

I did think the scene with the Hound didn't make much sense with the changes. When they removed that sense of threat from the scene, they also removed the reason for Sansa to choose not to go with him. In the show universe, it seems a bit implausible that this man she apparently trusts offers to help her escape, and she refuses for no obvious reason.

I think Sophie owns this role. I agree sometimes she acts a little immature, but I think that's the point of Sansa's character at this stage - Sansa is an immature girl plunged into a very adult situation. She's growing up fast, but it's not going to happen overnight and nor should it.

I did think the scene with the Hound didn't make much sense with the changes. When they removed that sense of threat from the scene, they also removed the reason for Sansa to choose not to go with him. In the show universe, it seems a bit implausible that this man she apparently trusts offers to help her escape, and she refuses for no obvious reason.

I agree. Without establishing Dontos as her "escape route", it makes no sense for her not to go with Sandor. Sandor said he would protect her, and he specifically said he would take her home to Winterfell, and Sansa said "you won't hurt me", as a statement. So there was no reason in the show, for Sansa to not go with him.

I get that we are suppose to think Sansa was counting on Stannis to win, and she didn't think Stannis would hurt her. That doesn't make sense though, Stannis won't hurt her, but he definitely wouldn't take her home either. Stannis considered Robb an enemy, so he isn't going to just send Sansa to her mom. So even though Stannis would have kept her safe, she also knows Sandor would to, and since Sandor specifically offered to take her to Winterfell, it makes no sense that she wouldn't go with him. Especially when you consider Stannis hadn't completely taken the city at that point, so anything could have happened. For all Sansa knows, right after Sandor left, Ser Ilyn could have showed up, or Cersei, you know? There was no certainty that Sansa would ever see Stannis at the point when Sandor made his offer. Also, most young people usually take the fast payout, instead of the longer road, even if the longer roud is the better choice, because young people don't think ahead like that. So again, I say it doesn't make much sense.

I get that we are suppose to think Sansa was counting on Stannis to win, and she didn't think Stannis would hurt her. That doesn't make sense though, Stannis won't hurt her, but he definitely wouldn't take her home either. Stannis considered Robb an enemy, so he isn't going to just send Sansa to her mom. So even though Stannis would have kept her safe, she also knows Sandor would to, and since Sandor specifically offered to take her to Winterfell, it makes no sense that she wouldn't go with him. Especially when you consider Stannis hadn't completely taken the city at that point, so anything could have happened. For all Sansa knows, right after Sandor left, Ser Ilyn could have showed up, or Cersei, you know? There was no certainty that Sansa would ever see Stannis at the point when Sandor made his offer. Also, most young people usually take the fast payout, instead of the longer road, even if the longer roud is the better choice, because young people don't think ahead like that. So again, I say it doesn't make much sense.

:agree:

That's my one gripe with an otherwise 100% stellar episode. In the books it's far more obvious why she doesn't go with him, but show!Sandor is not nearly as socially inept as book!Sandor.

I get that we are suppose to think Sansa was counting on Stannis to win, and she didn't think Stannis would hurt her. That doesn't make sense though, Stannis won't hurt her, but he definitely wouldn't take her home either. Stannis considered Robb an enemy, so he isn't going to just send Sansa to her mom.

I'm not so sure. Stannis did make quite a point of offering Cat Joff and Cersei's heads for what they did to Ned; I could easily see him shipping Sansa back to Winterfell. Robb would be his one ally against the remaining Lannister-Tyrell alliance, no?

Stannis even straight up told Cat that he would send her girls back to her, if either of them were in King's Landing when he took the city.

I'm not so sure. Stannis did make quite a point of offering Cat Joff and Cersei's heads for what they did to Ned; I could easily see him shipping Sansa back to Winterfell. Robb would be his one ally against the remaining Lannister-Tyrell alliance, no?

Stannis even straight up told Cat that he would send her girls back to her, if either of them were in King's Landing when he took the city.

Indeed he did. But, he did name Robb to die when Melisandre asked to name someone. I never forgive him that, although I want him to take the Iron Throne.

It's just too bad that they didn't give Sansa a valid reason to refuse to go with the Hound. I mean; in the books it was obvious why, although I probably would go with him regardless. In the show however, I would totally go with him, there was absolutely no reason why she wouldn't. As Sansa says; He won't hurt her.

I think Sansa's reasoning is that, if she goes with Sandor, she'll end up on the run through the war-torn countryside, her only protection being a man who, while he said he wouldn't hurt her, still admits to finding killing fun. Staying and waiting for Stannis means she would be even as a prisoner in relative safety and security, and probably has more chance of being reunited with her family as part of some treaty than running of into the unknown with Sandor.

Indeed he did. But, he did name Robb to die when Melisandre asked to name someone. I never forgive him that, although I want him to take the Iron Throne.

It's just too bad that they didn't give Sansa a valid reason to refuse to go with the Hound. I mean; in the books it was obvious why, although I probably would go with him regardless. In the show however, I would totally go with him, there was absolutely no reason why she wouldn't. As Sansa says; He won't hurt her.

Yeah, that's true. He didn't even beat around the bush: he says he'd take her home to Winterfell. She's not even "met" Ser Dontos the Fool yet, so it's not like she has anything else going for her other than the (possible) belief that Stannis would treat her well. She's also just spent an evening learning about highborn girls being raped during a city's fall...

Yeah, that's true. He didn't even beat around the bush: he says he'd take her home to Winterfell. She's not even "met" Ser Dontos the Fool yet, so it's not like she has anything else going for her other than the (possible) belief that Stannis would treat her well. She's also just spent an evening learning about highborn girls being raped during a city's fall...

Yeah, I didn't really bought everything Cersei said about rape and so on. Stannis is a just man (cutting off fingers of the man who saved him, afterwards naming him a Lord), he wouldn't let his men sack the whole city and rape every woman etc. like the Lannisters did during Robert's Rebellion.

Anyway, HBO better come up with something good for Sansa, to prevent her from being called the shallow arrogant bitch who should've gone with Sandor.

Archived