Rains of Castamere

Mixta

This.

I think I'll be crying when they start singing this at a certain wedding...

EDIT: Just saw the thread does not have the book spoiler warning.

Do they actually

sing it at the wedding? I thought the band/crossbowmen just played the instrumental.

And who are you, the proud lord said,

that I must bow so low?

Only a cat of a different coat,

that's all the truth I know.

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

And mine are long and sharp, my lord,

as long and sharp as yours.

And so he spoke, and so he spoke,

that lord of Castamere,

But now the rains weep o'er his hall,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,

and not a soul to hear.

I have never quite understood the narrative voices in the song. I thought that "the proud lord" is the Lord of Castamere, and his is the voice of the first two lines, then he is answered by Tywin, who starts with "Only a cat of a different coat" and finishes with "as long and sharp as yours". But then the very next lines say "And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that Lord of Castamere", which implies that the voice preceding him was Tywin; which to me, does not make as much sense.

Have I got it all wrong? Is the "proud lord" who asks "who are you" Tywin or the Lord of Castamere?

And who are you, the proud lord said,

that I must bow so low?

Only a cat of a different coat,

that's all the truth I know.

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

And mine are long and sharp, my lord,

as long and sharp as yours.

And so he spoke, and so he spoke,

that lord of Castamere,

But now the rains weep o'er his hall,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,

and not a soul to hear.

I have never quite understood the narrative voices in the song. I thought that "the proud lord" is the Lord of Castamere, and his is the voice of the first two lines, then he is answered by Tywin, who starts with "Only a cat of a different coat" and finishes with "as long and sharp as yours". But then the very next lines say "And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that Lord of Castamere", which implies that the voice preceding him was Tywin; which to me, does not make as much sense.

Have I got it all wrong? Is the "proud lord" who asks "who are you" Tywin or the Lord of Castamere?

The proud lord is indeed the Lord of Castamere, and the monologue is all his; there are only two voices, the Reyne and the narrator. It's "you are only a cat of different coat", and "my claws are as sharp as yours" - all spoken by the Lord of Castamere, challenging the Lord of Casterly Rock. By the way, the Reynes' coat of arms was a red lion, hence "a lion" and "a cat of different coat".

Love the National's version, especially the subtle instrumentation. Don't like any of the ren faire versions, especially anything remotely peppy. It's a dirge, and even if Lannister soldiers might pep it up in their drinks, almost all the you tube versions are too fast, too high pitched, completely unaware of what emotion the song is supposed to convey. Plus, the musical complexity of these is pretty simple, and the first one in particular is hopping around on the vocal melody for no apparent reason.

Perhaps the accent sounds out of place to non-Americans, but I love the modern but not anachronistic feel of it. It's a nice device.

Lastly, while I can respect anyone's opinion that doesn't like it, the National is a pretty fantastic band. Great musicians, great songwriters and absolutely incredible live.

So George wrote the lyrics and did it say that Ramin Djawadi wrote the music and the arrangement?

To answer my own question the published liner notes indeed say that Djawadi did write the music and arrangement.

I don't think it says George wrote the poem.

The proud lord is indeed the Lord of Castamere, and the monologue is all his; there are only two voices, the Reyne and the narrator. It's "you are only a cat of different coat", and "my claws are as sharp as yours" - all spoken by the Lord of Castamere, challenging the Lord of Casterly Rock. By the way, the Reynes' coat of arms was a red lion, hence "a lion" and "a cat of different coat".

Thanks, mcb; I didn't remember the Reynes' coat of arms. It makes sense as a monologue.

I loved when Bronn was singing the outro during the episode, but I have to admit, I wish they would have left the whole song played at the end for the RW. It sounded great, and fit well, but it would have brought us to tears after the screen went black next year with Cat screaming bloody murder.

Was I the only person sort of scared by the end credits version of the song? Reminded me a Tom Watts song. The Gods are away on business :D.

The difference here is that the National did a stirring and emotional anthem of a song, whereas Tom Waits has the voice of an archangel in the midst of battle. You know, the kind that come down and smite your ass.

Archived