[Book spoilers] Loras's armour?

Apoapsis

Was it Renly's? I couldn't tell, but since no one made a point of it I suppose it wasn't. Also, there wouldn't be much need for it as a morale-booster in the TV version of the battle since they basically just rode in and slaughtered everyone in a couple of minutes.

I rewatched this part a few minutes ago since someone mentioned the armor as it were Renly's... it can be, but Loras's cloak hides the most of it. But yeah, not so important, most of the soldiers seem to be Lannisters and city guards as I see.

It was indeed Renly's. The HBO Go interactive notes features it. As Loras also fought famously at the Blackwater, second only to his brother Ser Garlan, I don't see the issue. The Knight of Flowers is indeed one of the badass warriors of the Seven Kingdoms, as Martin's taken care to note more than once.

Right. As someone pointed out Renley's ghost could be thought as an "easter egg" for book readers. Still it could have been emphasized without too much trouble and a bit different editing.

In the books, Garlan wears the armor because he's closer to Renly's size than Loras, who wouldn't be able to pull it off. In the show that's not the case, so they can have Loras wear it (which I think is more dramatically satisfying anyway).

I've only watched the episode once, so I don't remember everything, when do we see Loras fighting like that? I imagine it is in the confusion surrounding Tyrion getting wounded, but I don't remember it.

It's after Tyrion gets his head almost split, and he's in a daze while Cersei's story is in VO. Tyrion sees a group of horsemen charging, a knight in Renly's armor riding a white horse in the forefront, and then from there on there are several shots. Tyrion's last vision before he goes unconscious is Loras killing someone or other.

It was indeed Renly's. The HBO Go interactive notes features it. As Loras also fought famously at the Blackwater, second only to his brother Ser Garlan, I don't see the issue. The Knight of Flowers is indeed one of the badass warriors of the Seven Kingdoms, as Martin's taken care to note more than once.

I think issue here is if it makes any sense within the show that Loras wears Renly's armour at all? In the books, Renly's armour had three uses.

Firstly, it made the common people think that it was Renly himself, very much alive, that had come to save Kings Landing from Stannis. When Dontos presents Sansa with these news, the reader makes a mental exclamation point, as the reader has seen Renly being slain half a book earlier. I remember my own confusion over this many years ago.

Secondly, as Renly is firmly dead, it gives birth to the legend of Renly's Ghost, which is a great part in the public reconciliation of the Baratheon, Tyrell and Lannister factions.

Thirdly, the discussion about who actually wore the armour gives a lead-in to Garlan Tyrell.

The first point seemed to be ignored in the show, as Dontos and Sansa's interaction has been kept to an absolute minimum. The legend of Renly's Ghost may still float, but as Loras gave it away in public, I doubt very much it will become a common myth. Thirdly, if Garlan has been saved away, there is no need to give him a lead-in.

So, in conclusion, to me Loras wearing the armour is rather meaningless. At most a nod to the source material about what could have been, but nothing more than a superficial gesture.

I expect George put it in there as a gesture to it, in fact, and with the added spin that it was sort of Loras's way to honor Renly. And it may be that in the next episode we'll hear that some of Stannis's men threw down their swords rather than fight against "Renly", I suppose, but really, it doesn't much matter. Small detail.

I think issue here is if it makes any sense within the show that Loras wears Renly's armour at all?

To scare the shit out of Stannis' soldiers. For a few moments, and if very lucky, for the duration of the battle. Really no reason to try very hard to keep it secret afterwards, as there's no need to maintain a legend of Renly's ghost. Since the Tyrells and the Lannisters now sing the same song: all hail King Joffrey, it would be politically awkward to support a legend of Renly, who did try to snatch the throne from under Joff's ass.

Also, it was personal for Loras.

So someone help me get this straight as Im only halfway through acok. Since stannis killed rely more or less, loras vowed revenge. But loras supported renlys claim that joff wasn't the rightful heir. So he joined up with tywin to get that revenge. however tywin is a lannister, and supports joffs claim to the throne. So wouldn't that make loras' allegiance fairly conflicting?

So someone help me get this straight as Im only halfway through acok. Since stannis killed rely more or less, loras vowed revenge. But loras supported renlys claim that joff wasn't the rightful heir. So he joined up with tywin to get that revenge. however tywin is a lannister, and supports joffs claim to the throne. So wouldn't that make loras' allegiance fairly conflicting?

As we havent had a Tyrell POV in the book's we can't be 100% sure of Loras' inner belief's, I always thought of it as Renly could have been spurting whatever shit he wanted to Loras would have supported him because he loved him, If Renly would have claimed he was King of the North, Loras would proberly have backed his claim.

In this instance he is going for the Iorn Throne, Loras in the show (can't remember in the books) convinced Renly that he could be King because he is loved by the small folk who would rather him than Stannis. The Tyrell's sensing this pretty much back Renly as they have one of the largest army's, after Renly's death they are weekend by some of the houses joining Stannis.

The Tyrell's know that they cannot join forces with Stannis so they take the next best thing after Renly, The Lannisters. There is some more political wrangling (but I dont want to ruin that for you).

So the Tyrell's pretty much are not fussed about what is right or wrong the rightful heir or the pretender, for them it's a massive power play, but the Lannister's are not stupid either so both side's dont entirley trust each other but they need each other.

Loras basically convinced Renly to claim himself a King in the first place. I think it goes a little deeper than the Tyrell's using Renly in this case, though that's basically what it is. Much like the Lannister's did in Robert's Rebellion, the Tyrell's pick whichever side is going to win.

Archived