A Thread for Small Questions XVIII

mormont

New thread, same rules. Any question that doesn't seem to merit its own thread can be asked here: factual clarifications, explanations, trivia, minor points. If it takes more than three or four posts to explain or discuss it, best move the discussion to an actual thread. Do please search before asking. :)

Did I miss any stated reason for why Benjen joined the Night's Watch? Is it just because he's a younger Stark?

What are the odds that Aegon will be wielding Blackfyre as he marches through the Stormlands?

Martin has stated that one of his inspirations for ASOIAF was England's War of the Roses. The War of the Roses concluded when (after the many claimants to the throne had mostly killed one another) Henry Tudor left exile in France and crossed the English Channel with a small army. People rallied to his dragon banners and he was proclaimed the Y Mab Darogan (translates to Son of Destiny). After winning the crown, Henry married Elizabeth, the heir of York (her little brothers were murdered...or maybe they escaped a tower and ran to Scotland. Who knows?). There's been prophecies here and there about Sansa. Do any of them still have her becoming queen? Because she seems a likely candidate to marry Aegon if he doesn't take interest in a Dornish princess.

I haven't read the third Dunk & Egg story. Is there anything in it that suggests Bloodraven was worshipping the Old Gods while serving as the King's Hand? Such beliefs would probably have pushed him in the direction of the greenseers. His mother was of House Blackwood, one of the few First Men houses south of the Neck. If R + L = J is correct, then Jon Snow isn't the first mixing of First Men and Targaryen blood.

Did I miss any stated reason for why Benjen joined the Night's Watch? Is it just because he's a younger Stark?

What are the odds that Aegon will be wielding Blackfyre as he marches through the Stormlands?

Martin has stated that one of his inspirations for ASOIAF was England's War of the Roses. The War of the Roses concluded when (after the many claimants to the throne had mostly killed one another) Henry Tudor left exile in France and crossed the English Channel with a small army. People rallied to his dragon banners and he was proclaimed the Y Mab Darogan (translates to Son of Destiny). After winning the crown, Henry married Elizabeth, the heir of York (her little brothers were murdered...or maybe they escaped a tower and ran to Scotland. Who knows?). There's been prophecies here and there about Sansa. Do any of them still have her becoming queen? Because she seems a likely candidate to marry Aegon if he doesn't take interest in a Dornish princess.

I haven't read the third Dunk & Egg story. Is there anything in it that suggests Bloodraven was worshipping the Old Gods while serving as the King's Hand? Such beliefs would probably have pushed him in the direction of the greenseers. His mother was of House Blackwood, one of the few First Men houses south of the Neck. If R + L = J is correct, then Jon Snow isn't the first mixing of First Men and Targaryen blood.

It is never stated why Benjen joined the Night's Watch.

I think there's a chance Aegon will be wielding Blackfyre, up until Daemon Blackfyre it was the sword of Targaryen kings since Aegon the Conqueror. The last known wielder was most likely Maelys the Monstrous, and the Golden Company would have kept the sword for safe keeping.

Sansa has dreamed of being paid homage to as a queen, but that is as far as prophecy goes. Dreams are a form of prophecy in ASOIAF.

I think Bloodraven possibly worshipped both the Old Gods and the new, like Sansa, since he was knighted.

Has it ever been stated who Aegon IV(Egg's) wife and mother of his children is? I tried finding it on the wiki but could not. Isn't it weird that her names not in the Targ family tree? Its only four generations back and its constantly stated that Egg "married for love" but I can't find a name anywhere. Its also stated that he was betrothed to his sister Danea in his youth, and that his other sister Rhae tried to love potion him into her arms but they have their own descendants listed seperate of Aegon. Maybe because it would spoil something in the future D&E stories? Any insight?

Has it ever been stated who Aegon IV(Egg's) wife and mother of his children is? I tried finding it on the wiki but could not. Isn't it weird that her names not in the Targ family tree? Its only four generations back and its constantly stated that Egg "married for love" but I can't find a name anywhere. Its also stated that he was betrothed to his sister Danea in his youth, and that his other sister Rhae tried to love potion him into her arms but they have their own descendants listed seperate of Aegon. Maybe because it would spoil something in the future D&E stories? Any insight?

First, it's Aegon V; as to the main question it is never stated who Egg's queen is in either the series or SSM.

The Blackwoods follow the Old Gods despite being southerners. Brynden's mother was Mylessa Blackwood.

Yes, I know the Blackwoods worship the old gods, but that wasn't my question. My question was where it was said that Bloodraven was knighted.

Sun's Son= Stannis?

As he is a 'follower' of the Lord of the Light (ie, the sun)? Or is it pretty much set in stone that it's Quentyn?

It makes sense for it to be Quentyn. The sigil of house Martell is a sunburst with a spear through it, and Quentyn is the son of the Lord of Dorne, so you could say he is the sun's son.

Yes, I know the Blackwoods worship the old gods, but that wasn't my question. My question was where it was said that Bloodraven was knighted.

The fact that he is called Ser Brynden Rivers; a ser before his name, means that he is a knight.

Sun's Son= Stannis?

As he is a 'follower' of the Lord of the Light (ie, the sun)? Or is it pretty much set in stone that it's Quentyn?

My initial thought was Quentyn. I think a better "codename" for Stannis would have been mentioned if he was part of the prophecy. Like fire wielder, or burnt heart.

This just noticed by me - sorry if it has been answered.

Dany's baby dies in Book I before they get to Qarth. Qarth is the last time Jorah betrayed Dany.

It is stated that Dany knows Jorah killed the infant.

Was he acting under orders and if so, where is his reward (going home)?

This just noticed by me - sorry if it has been answered.

Dany's baby dies in Book I before they get to Qarth. Qarth is the last time Jorah betrayed Dany.

It is stated that Dany knows Jorah killed the infant.

Was he acting under orders and if so, where is his reward (going home)?

I think she means Jorah inadvertently killed her son when he carried her into the tent where Mirri was performing her blood magic.

I don't recall him ever being referred to as "Ser." Could you provide a quote?

I didn't find a quote (I don't have the short stories at hand), but The Citadel refers to him as Ser Brynden Rivers a few times.

For example here : http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Heraldry/Entry/Ser_Brynden_Rivers/Spoilers/ and http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies/Entry/1796/

Don't know how reliable it is though.

Archived