Confessions......Say what!

I skimmed through the Dornish/ Ironborn chapters in AFFC because I found them boring.

Before joining he online community I though I was a genius to have unraveled he mystery that is R+L=J.

I want Littlefinger to end up with Sansa, he deserves it.

I'm pretty sure there are more but I'll have to think of them.

I confess that when I first read the books, I was secretly hoping that The Hound would go apeshit crazy and kill the royal family. I had this deep hatred for Cersei, Joffrey, and even drunk Robert. Tommen and Myrcella I hated just for being in that family.

Before reading ASOS, I read on CBR forums that someone quit the series because of an event called 'The Red Wedding', I had no idea what the event was at the time so I imagined something involving Melisandre. I imagined a massive ritual with Shadow Babies being unleashed on the land or something.

When Edmure got married, I got to the last page where Catelyn and Robb died and I was like, "So Robb and Catelyn died......*shrug* meh."

Then I got to the part where a character, I think it was Kevan, who said this line.

"They call it The Red Wedding."

Me: Wait, THAT was the Red Wedding??!

So, I'm not confessing that I did not give two-cents about Robb and Catelyn dying because I'm not ashamed of that. I'm ashamed I didn't recognize the red wedding when it happened.

I prefer the character UnCat to the character Catelyn, and I hope she rains indiscriminate terror down on the Freys and Lannisters in the Riverlands.

I hate the character of Cersei with a burning passion, and I think the idea that the character represents some kind of feminist figure absolutely laughable.

I don't get the Stannis love -- so he gets a few good lines, he's still got a huge burning stick up his fictional arse.

Tyrion needs to be killed off, the sooner the better.

I don't think GRRM is going to finish the series.

I prefer the character UnCat to the character Catelyn, and I hope she rains indiscriminate terror down on the Freys and Lannisters in the Riverlands.

I hate the character of Cersei with a burning passion, and I think the idea that the character represents some kind of feminist figure absolutely laughable.

I don't get the Stannis love -- so he gets a few good lines, he's still got a huge burning stick up his fictional arse.

Tyrion needs to be killed off, the sooner the better.

I don't think GRRM is going to finish the series.

Sadly I have the same fear. Maybe its because I am also a Robert Jordan fan, but I too think GRRM wont finish the books. And I dont think another author could do the books justice :frown5:

I kind of admire Tywin. A horrible father, but I actually think he would have been a good king...

I also don't get the Stannis love. He makes me chuckle on occasion, but I don't think he would be a good king. There is also the whole killing his brother with sorcery thing and then telling Davos he had nothing to do with it. I would respect him more if he had just owned up to it. For such a no nonsense type of guy, I find that kind of self-delusion hypocritical.

I liked the RW because Cat and Robb were finally dead. I just feel bad for the collateral damage and I disliked that their bodies and Greywind's were mutilated.

I wanted Ned to die. I found him annoying. I dislike him more as time goes on.

I read the books later and I was told that I would end up loving Jaimie and Sansa but that never happened.

If Bran and Arya die then I don't care if House Stark is wiped out.

I don't think GRRM is the greatest writer that ever was or will be.

I'll see myself to the Quiet Isle now.

This is my big confession too. I love the story - it's in 'rattling good yarn' territory, but the writing is often uneven. Passages of sheer prose brilliance are too often interspersed with humdrum repetition and cliched writing. And characters like Hoat, Damphair, the Bloody Mummers, half the population of Essos, and every single Fool (save me from hanging myself!) in the book are gross caricatures and not characters. Only Dickens could pull off the over-the-top supporting character and get away with it.

That said - the story is so damned good that I forgive an awful lot.

About his writing that reminds me that I hated AFFC to the point that I don't want to read it the whole way through ever again. ADWD was a disappointment too but AFFC introduced a bunch of characters that I just don't care about. Plus, I was completely disgusted by the Brienne/Biter scene and the Sam sex scene to a lesser extent.

Hmm. Well, I was never especially enamored with the Dothraki culture.

I was rooting for Dany to do well at first but I've pretty much turned against her (she should change her words to "Me, Mine, Birthright.").

I don't like Catelyn, at all.

The Mountain is among my very favorite characters. I like him more than the whole House Stark combined. No, wait, scratch that, that was never a secret I was ashamed to confess.

I've always liked Sansa more than Arya. Ugh, that's not some big secret either...

Damn, this is getting hard.

I never shed a tear for Robb and I felt he dug his own gra... no, not a secret I wouldn't confess either.

Oh, forget it, this is the Internet, the Land of Always Anonymity. I don't have anything to hide and therefore I have nothing to confess.

Gaius has reminded me how wonderful this Forum is. We all come from different backgrounds, cultures etc. and we all bring different expectations to the books. Nor should we ever feel that we must apologise for who we love or hate. Gaius loves Theon. I loathed him, and revelled in the fact that Ramsay took such pleasure in humiliating him. Isn't that horrible? But this is the glory of the books and characters - they all speak to us so strongly that they invoke these passions within us. That's the sign of a writer in control of his characters. Something somewhere will speak to all of us.

As for me - you can all get lost. Daenerys is without peer ;)

ETA: The smilies don't seem to be working.... In fact, nothing seems to be working in the Forum right now....

What the hell, here it goes...

-I really can't stand Tyrion.

-I've always loved Theon.

-I'd much rather read Samwell's POV at the Wall than Jon Snow's.

-I unabashedly rooted for Petyr Baelish until I realized how creepy he was on re-read. Now I only kind of root for him.

-I hope someone kills Dany's dragons. Bonus points if it's Sam or Theon.

-My ideal happy ending involves something along the lines of Sansa and Podrick Payne getting married and being awarded the Dreadfort (or the Twins). Then they prompty paint it pink, redecorate, buy a shitload of puppies, and live happily ever after. Yeah, try not to judge me.

Archived