Who is Mance Rayder?

TheLastHero

I don't understand why people want Mance Rayder to be someone else in hiding. His entire story reflects the problems within the Nights Watch and their ideas. He's a really interesting character with an amazing backstory that really fleshes out both the wildling identity and the Nights Watch. Why would anyone want to ruin that?

I don't understand why people want Mance Rayder to be someone else in hiding. His entire story reflects the problems within the Nights Watch and their ideas. He's a really interesting character with an amazing backstory that really fleshes out both the wildling identity and the Nights Watch. Why would anyone want to ruin that?

Because Rhaegar.

Everyone is Rhaegar

Even though the whole reason Mance left the watch was cause of lack of freedom (he was ordered to remove the red cloak) and that makes him far more interesting and a better example of the feelings Jon has (Jon has a bit of Mance in him that he knows things cant stay the way they are and need to change Mance tried to do that change outside of the watch while Jon tries to do it inside the watch)

I dont, I think hes awesome, the idea of a man telling the NW to go screw themselves and leaves and gets away with it AND becomes King Beyond The Wall is just awesome story telling and character development. I believe hes one of GRRM's best written characters.

Some of you guys really need to chill out.

If you don't like the posts or ideas, er... don't read them?!

Angry entitlement issues, me thinks.

Thanks!

For everyone who says "EVERYONE IS MANCE, EVERYONE IS A TARG" "I JUST WOULDN'T LIKE IT" "BAD WRITING" "I WOULD STOP READING," can you come up with something that borders on a constructive debate? You just come off as arrogant. For those who bring up points like "GRRM wrote in a lot of parallels, like he does all throughout the series", and for those who come up with alternate explanations for how Mance could become such a great leader, thank you!

If you are going to post a crackpot, at least you should make sure it is a plausible and original crackpot. Mance Rayder (obviously a pseudonym) is of course the grandson of Aegon V's hitherto unnamed third son, who was sent to the Wall for rebelling against his father, deserted, and married a wilding woman. No crackpot can possibly be considered complete without accounting for Egg's third son. (That's why the Jeyne's Hips theory never worked.)

• 3 months later...

Mance Rayder is a wildling who betrayed his brothers and deserves beheading.

He betrayed his own heritage by joining the Night's Watch, and returned to it when he left the Watch. Rather like Jaime in a way. Which loyalty do you honor? And if they kill him it will only make him mad. That's one wight I wouldn't want to face when the Wall comes down and the dead begin to rise.

Besides, everyone knows Mance is Rhaegar's secret twin and Targaryens are immune to beheading. ;)

Then Mance's son has a claim to the IT.

Did you miss the wink? I was kidding.

But...if they really have to go looking for an heir, Mance and/or his kid could still be in the running. There's actually a decent chance that Bloodraven is Mance's father/grandfather/great-grandfather. More likely he's just Mance, but the only two characters whose clothes are described as "smoke and scarlet" (or was it "scarlet and smoke"?) are Brynden Rivers Targaryen and Mance Rayder.

As long as we're cracking some pots.................

Dalla died giving birth to Mance's son, which puts the future Aemon Battleborn in the same company as Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. The little tyke will eventually sit the Iron Throne. (He will marry Jon and Meera's daughter.)

The sisters Dalla and Val have names that are suspiciously almost Targ-like. (Daella was one of Egg's daughters. Vaella was the youngest child of Aenys, who died shortly after she was born.)

Archived