[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

All of Dany's Dothraki handmaidens are dead. WHO WILL SAY "IT IS KNOWN" NOW?!?!?

They maybe didn't want that sexscence between her and one of her handmaiden, [sarcasm] could be to provoking for the viewers [/sarcasm]

What Cat SHOULD have said if there were ANY internal logic to this series.

"Jon, if you marry this girl, you will be breaking your vow to the Freys. Beyond the honor stuff we have discussed, the Freys will immediately turn on you, taking their troops back to the Twins. Umber will fight Frey, Karstark will side with Frey against the Manderleys. You will then have insufficient troops to do anything. you will be figting a civil war within your own army when you need to be concentrating on beating the Lannisters. And since the Lord Walder Frey is a prickly bastard, he will likely become an enemy and not just a hostile lord. In addition, many of your lords will consider turning on you, by breaking your vow to the Freys you are signing your own death warrant-you dumbass!"

HBO Meeting

"I have a good use for my men on the Fist"

"Lets have the soldiers walk around in the snow digging up frozen animal crap under a foot of snow!"

I have tried shovelling a driveway with 6 inches of snow-It took me several hours, busted by back and I never found a dog poop.

At least the writers finally realized that camping an army atop a iceberg will be problematic after a few days, weeks, months....

psst there are reasons why GRRM wrote the story the way he did.

HBO Meeting

"I have a good use for my men on the Fist"

"Lets have the soldiers walk around in the snow digging up frozen animal crap under a foot of snow!"

I have tried shovelling a driveway with 6 inches of snow-It took me several hours, busted by back and I never found a dog poop.

At least the writers finally realized that camping an army atop a iceberg will be problematic after a few days, weeks, months....

psst there are reasons why GRRM wrote the story the way he did.

Don't forget Sam and Gilly [sarcasm] I'm starving to see their true innocent love [/sarcasm]

What I had problems with:

Daenerys - Not the HotU, surprisingly. The show can do what it wants there, since a lot of the prophecies would be given away by *us* knowing what actors look like but *Dany* not. It was the scene with Xaro and Doreah, locking them in an empty vault. Methinks Xaro had a lot more money than... none, and I thought his return in book five was pretty important for Dany's development. Oh well.

Robb - If you are calling yourself "King in the North," you don't have a marriage under a septon. Since your new wife is supposedly from Volantis, she doesn't have that Andal religion, anyway. You get a freaking marriage at a weirwood a la Ramsay and "Arya."

Jon - Might have been unclear based on the two line conversation between Qhorin and Jon that him killing Qhorin was necessary to gain the Free Folk's trust. Kinda just felt like Jon had no idea what was going on and killed Qhorin to save his own life from an attacker.

Sam and the Fist of the First Men - Zombies too over-the-top, I think they were done better first season.

Varys - Why the FUCK are you making Ros appear to be important AT ALL? I was okay with her as a side character, but if she becomes a main character, as this scene implies, I'll be pissed.

Varys - Why the FUCK are you making Ros appear to be important AT ALL? I was okay with her as a side character, but if she becomes a main character, as this scene implies, I'll be pissed.

At the end we don't get a myrish swamp, we get a northern, or she accompanie Tyrion or Sansa after the PW/trail :bang:

I was pretty disappointed overall. Theon's storyline was the best adaption from book two, the rest was pretty bloody awful.

Robb - I don't even know where to start. He's horny and mad at his mom so that's why he is getting married? The books were much more in line with his character. I can not wait for the red wedding! I am really looking forward to that episode, it can not come soon enough. I never thought HBO could make me hate Robb, ever. I was wrong.

Brienne- Killing her first man was a big deal. Now she kills three and makes the third one die slowly? WTF?

Dany- - Her whole plotline was one big hilarious joke. We could have just written her out of season two and the show would not have suffered. I don't see the point of the HotU, especially after the build up all season long. I was hoping this would be a longer part of the episode.

Frankly, there were a LOT of things that really pissed me off about this episode, as I can probably call myself a reluctant purist at this point - maybe just because all of these unnecessary changes have thrown me for a major loop. But I'll try not to reiterate what everyone has already said. I liked some of this episode - the King's Landing sequence was mostly really perfect, I quite liked the Drogo scene (just because it was really enjoyable and I'd missed him a lot), the visuals on both the HotU and the Others were impressive, but...

I just have a couple things to point out that I really couldn't deal with. First, the wedding scene. Never mind that it was the cheesiest thing to hit my screen since someone made me watch Killers, ROBB GETS MARRIED BY A FUCKING SEPTON? I genuinely had to rage about this. They even made online videos about the different faiths and everything! This has driven the final nail in the coffin for me - he's been a completely different character for a while now, this just cements it. As a big fan of Book Robb (and yes, I do believe we need that distinction for most of the characters now, possibly barring Tyrion), this fucking hurt.

The second thing was the HotU - I was really looking forward to seeing the visions, and though I agree that a lot of it had to be omitted, it felt like they just wanted to use the sets they already had. A couple visions would've been nice, Pyat Pree telling her to always go to the first door on the right, shade-of-the-evening, the Undying's last scene... Burning Pyat Pree just kind of wasn't enough there, and hell, it would've made for a great visual anyway. Hell, the whole chapter in the book was so chilling - it could've translated so well to the screen. Just like Robb, some of what Dany did in this episode really sets her apart from Book Dany - I like Book Dany quite a bit - unlike most people on this forum, it would seem - and this is not her. The Doreah thing shocked me - was I the only one to remember she told Doreah to sleep around with people in Qarth a few weeks ago? I know this could be interpreted as a betrayal, but just dragging her, kicking and screaming, to a sadistic death without even hearing her out? This is what Viserys would have done.

And lastly... This isn't a big thing for me, but I feel compelled to mention this just because no one else has for some reason. I didn't mind the last scene, it was pretty good and stunning visually, I loved the way they designed the Other (very much like I would have pictured them and very menacing). I don't even mind that he didn't kill Sam, it's a necessary change. But it bothered me that Grenn and Edd just bailed on Sam like that. I mean, sure, White Walkers are scary as fuck and all... But in the book, they lugged him around for a while even after the attack, they stuck with him until he just wouldn't move anymore, and I thought that was very powerful and good characterization for them. Here they just fucking ran as he screamed and begged at them to wait for him. Not even a look back, guys?

Phew. Sorry, that was long. I don't usually post about these kinds of things, but I had to get all this off my chest.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that the first time Brienne actually kills a man in the books is in AFFC (at least, I'm fairly sure that's the case.)

She just comes across harsher in the tv show because of this extra uncaring nature towards killing.

Am I the only one who fear a Sansa Tyrion Shae threesome is coming next year?

EDIT: no sarcasm

Sophie will still be underage. She just turned 16 in February. Thank R'hllor for that.

As an episode of a TV series, it was great.

As an adaptation of the book it fracking sucked. I honestly don't want to put things into words because it's been done so eloquently before me.

I'm very very frustrated, as I'm sure we all are. I feel like they've taken something that I loved and pooped on it.

I wasn't even this mad at Harry Potter adaptations!

Sophie will still be underage. She just turned 16 in February. Thank R'hllor for that.

Or a sort of threesome which is childproof?

Something else: Did the WW apear at daytime? They don't do that in the books

I don't post much in this particular thread but after this episode...

How the hell could you have left such an ambiguous ending to Winterfell? So the Ironborn take Theon to the Bolton men. Cool. And the next thing we see is Winterfell burning? No explanation who did it or why. Luwin was just chilling under that tree the whole time and he didn't once think to tell Osha, "oh be carefell because the Northmen lead by Bolton's Bastard completely destroyed this castle and have apparently turned against the Starks." No, he doesn't even mention it. I'll just be an asshole, die right here and let you guys figure what happened out.

The whole Jon/Qhorin scenes were just god awful compared to what happened in the book. I'm not being a purist, but why change such a dramatic series of events for Jon to just wonder around getting blue balled by Ygritte? Jon is a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.

House of the Undying..WTF did I just watch? When Dany walked past the Wall would it have been hard to have a blue rose growing out of it? Or how about her opening a door and quickly closing it when she sees dead men on the floor and a man with a wolfs head staring at her on a throne? Instead we get D&D telling us that in Book 6 or 7 Dany will burn Kings Landing down during Winter. Thanks guys.

Tv-Littlefinger...you just can't keep anything to yourself can you? You had to tell Sansa that you would help her escape. I guess her finding a note under her pillow wasn't good enough. We have to get all of Littlefinger's plans shoved down our throats instead of letting them slowly come to fruition.

Also, how many more lines is Littlefinger going to steal from the hound? If he says "strong arms and sharp steel rule this world" next season I'm gonna pop a blood vessel.

Archived