[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

You guys will keep being disappointed if you are looking for it to be similar to the book series. It's an adaptation. It's going to keep changing and they have their own reasons for it.

D&D are not as good writers as GRRM. Everyone should know this. You should know coming in that the quality of the TV series was never going to match the book.

Yes ofcourse but they change the characters, their motivation and the bahavior not just a little bit, no they have gone to far. And we just are a little nitpick, that's what this thread are for

This is the first episode that has actually really disappoint me. I had has some complaints and nitpicks before but overall I always liked the episodes. This just had me shaking my head in disappointment at so many moments.

Robb and Talisaa. WTF! worst story of the season. Why couldn't they just leave Jeyne Westerling? They turned that story into a horrible hollywood cliche romance. In the books he married her out of sense of duty after a screw up. He thought marring her was the honorable thing to do, he chose her honor over his own. Stupid, yes, but not entirely reckless and irresponsible like in the show. He's breaking his promise and honor, jeopardazing his most important alliance and the whole war just for some hot chick?! They are making it look like he deserves the RW for his incompetence. You are not suppose to go "well he had that coming" when a sword goes through Robb's heart!

Jon. Another character that got screwed up. His killing of Qhorin was just too ambiguous. The non-reader I watch with wasn't sure if he killed him on orders or because he got pissed. Couldn't they had him order Jon to turned and kill him in a more clear way? I don't know if they trying to create drama by making the audience questions Jon's motives but that is just not Jon! he was always loyal and never truly wanted to turn cloak. Jon and Qhorin's relationship was just destroyed here.

HOTU. Ok, so I didn't expect all the visions to be there for budgetary reason and whatnot (although I think the vision with Rheagar and Aegon is important) Fine. I can live with the few (too corny imo) visions they had. But no prophecies either?! It wouldn't had been too hard to have Pyat Pree at least mention the three betrayals and the three heads of the dragon. The HOTU pretty much served no purpose here.

Sack of Winterfell. This wasn't that bad. I wished they had kept the Reek storyline, but since he has been mention he's obviously not getting cut. Maybe he'll be in next season, specially of they don't want Alfie Allen on hold for two whole season. The sacking wasn't as dramatic as I'd hope and it kinda looked like it was the ironborn who did it. I'm hoping next year it will be revealed it was Ramsay. I mean, it has to right?. On the bright side the Theon/Luwin scene was fantastic. Actually, Alfie Allen has been great in all of his scenes. The character of Theon was one of the few that was handled very well.

How will Xaro come back from the vault?

Doesnt Pyatt Pree also show his face again in book 5? Or did I just read the last chapter too late at night?

Edit- yes he is in book 5! Soooo, either she did not kill him and for some reason he just let her go, which makes no sense or he wont be coming back....

Seriously? Was that the fight of the fist? Picking up crap and then running?

Sooooo...... Momont and craster dying?

Urmmm.....

This is making the nights watch look like a JOKE!

Why is Ros the default whore in everything? In fact why is she even mentioned, and if she is mentioned how did she get out of Cersies clutches anyway? "Oh I gotta go back to work" "oh ok then off you go!"

No!

Everyone who hasnt read the books think Jon is a murderer...

Dany is just looking like a nutcase, how will this "new" Dany try to explain how much she cares for her people in books 4 and 5 when she just locks up her followers in vaults? Followers who are DEAD anyway so you just saved the character to make Dany seem more insane....

Where the hell are the WOLVES? More to the point where are Brans dreams?!!

Why just have a burnt out Winterfell?

At least have a Bolton banner flying or SOMETHING!

Little finger is one of the best characters in the book because of how subtle he is

"oh Im gonna get you out of here!" yeah thanks for that....

Hodor still isnt saying Hodor...

No conversations with the Tyrell women at all....

Just looking at Margery's tits all the time

I'm not even going to mention HoTUD as so many people have put it faaar better than I would anyway.

So much of this Episode was filler, which makes no sense because there was so much they could have and needed to put in!

You guys will keep being disappointed if you are looking for it to be similar to the book series. It's an adaptation. It's going to keep changing and they have their own reasons for it.

D&D are not as good writers as GRRM. Everyone should know this. You should know coming in that the quality of the TV series was never going to match the book.

I think the title says it all

WITHOUT REPERCUSSION!

So ummmm

Get out?

Didn't care for Tyrion waking up to be shit talked by Pycelle. That guy deserves no redemption.

Court scene was one of the pretty decent scenes of the episode. My only issue is Margaery being there already, and Loras not asking to serve on the Kingsguard. Didn't care for Littlefinger talking to Sansa, either.

Oh good...return of the pointless Ros scenes. Putting Varys there didn't make it any better.

I think the part where Brienne sees the hanging people and wants to bury them is when the ship shows up to hunt them down? If I'm remembering that correctly, I can see how the budget wouldn't allow for that scene. It's whatever. What bothers me is Brienne randomly killing people all the time. For all her skill, I remember it being a big deal when she killed someone for the first time.

I actually approve of Robb being more angry with Catelyn for letting Jaime go in the show than he was in the book. Him letting it go because he needed her approval for marrying Jeyne was weak. However, I don't like how he's basically spitting in her face. Robb would never talk to/about his parents like that.

Stannis choking out Melisandre...not even going to bother touching that one

I've really grown to like Theon's actor. I like that they've expanded on his deeper emotions. Also lol'd @ him raging over the horn. I didn't even understand exactly what happened with the Winterfell scene until I watched the recap at the beginning of this episode again. So, Roose gave commands to Ramsey to convince the Ironborn to turn over Theon in exchange for letting them go back home. What a lame change. After a pretty compelling speech, too. Also, I heard Wex, but didn't see him.

Severe lack of Pod looking at his feet. Varys and Tyrion was decent enough. Tyrion and Shae was awful. Every time she speaks, I want to mute the sound. I don't particularly care, but this pretty much confirms (if it wasn't already) that Tyrion won't be losing his nose.

Robb and...almost indisputably Talisa (there's no way they reveal her to be Jeyne AFTER this point) being married was short, so I guess I won't complain about the waste of time. My one nitpick was Seven-centered vows. Robb worships the Old Gods. =/

Jaqen/Arya scene was okay. I don't think he comes right out and tells her he's a Faceless Man though. And he keeps talking about the Red God. If he's a FM, shouldn't he be following the Many-Faced God? Felt like the transformation was pretty cheaply done.

Bran and gang coming out of the crypts scene was whatever. Would have meant so much more if they didn't completely give it away 3 episodes ago or whatever it was. Maester Luwin's death was sad. I guess they'll stumble upon Meera and Jojen somehow next season, then the group will split (will probably end up being a forced one to up the drama, rather than an amicable split). I was probably the only one that did this, but was anyone looking at the smoke over Winterfell intently? Heh. I figured there wouldn't be the faintest sign of anything, especially given that it wasn't through the eyes of Summer. I was so focused on the smoke the first time I didn't even notice Hodor pushing Bran in a cart. LOL. Guess it's too much for old man Hodor to carry him the entire way.

House of the Undying was such an indescribable let down. They didn't even try to make it like the book. Not a single damn vision. They brought Jason Momoa back for fan service rather than including visions that have a ton of bearing on the past and future of the series. Wiki paraphrasing of HotU:

1. A beautiful, naked woman being ravished by four of the dwarves who serve the house.

2. A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown.

3. Daenerys' childhood home in Braavos.

4. A throne room with dragon skulls on the walls where a king resembling Aerys II Targaryen sits on a barbed throne.

5. A room where a silver-haired man (presumably Rhaegar Targaryen) names his son Aegon, says the child is the "prince that was promised", then plays a harp.

6. A "splendor of wizards" who falsely claim to be the Undying of Qarth and offer to teach Daenerys the secret speech of dragonkind.

Upon reaching the chamber of the Undying, Daenerys is spoken to in a barely perceptible whisper. The Undying call her "mother of dragons" and "child of three" and tell her some prophesies, saying "three fires must you light... one for life and one for death and one to love... three mounts must you ride... one to bed and one to dread and one to love... three treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love..." The Undying show Daenerys many more visions before attacking her. They are slain by Drogon.

Like, they didn't even try. I assumed we wouldn't get a perfect HotU, but the show basically didn't even need this version of it. I actually liked the Iron Throne room vision, because it's pretty good foreshadowing(assuming). But Drogo and Rhaego? So pointless. Pyat Pree (Dany already using Dracarys...) and Xaro presumably dead? Two characters with parts to play in the future? Along with Doreah, who lived past when she was supposed to just to die in a different, pointless way? Smh. Kind of curious where Dany suddenly got all those followers, too.

They butchered Qhorin's character, and his relationship with Jon so atrociously. It was bad enough that Jon's character in season 1 and 2 leading up to this has been awful. He's extra emo, and makes retarded decisions. I dismissed it earlier, because Ghost going hunting is actually okay...but where the hell is he at this point? He's been gone for half the season, even with Jon in danger, and wasn't there to help take down Qhorin.

So...Sam gets caught out in the middle of everything as the Others and wights are about to storm the Fist of the First Men (which I still can't get over being a field of snow with some rocks...). A White Walker (I believe this makes the 4th time we've seen one in 2 seasons of the show, when 5 books into the series we've only "seen" them twice) comes upon Sam, stares directly at him, and ignores him. Just wow. Because that makes sense. That Other in the opening scene of season 1 let the dude go, too. Pretty peaceable creatures, apparently. I thought they were going to move up Sam the Slayer scene, which I guess would have been acceptable...but they didn't even do that. I can't fathom what they were going for there.

They had so much to work with to make the finale awesome, and they bombed it completely

How did Dany and her "kalasar" of ~ a dozen people take over the house of the King of Qarth? He has no guards?

Sam is just overlooked by the white walkers and their army of zombies?

The wildlings let Jon go because Qhorin attacked him? And Rattleshirt was the one who gave the order with no prompting from anyone else? Why would he seemingly trust Jon more now, than the scenario in the book where Jon asks to join them and Rattleshirt tells him to kill Qhorin to prove himself? Even after that he still doesn't trust Jon. The sad thing is they could have re-arranged the order of events and followed the original story line very closely with the same amount of screen time and budget. Instead, Jon hasn't even said he wants to join them yet and now he is free, at the Lord of Bones suggestion.

Is Pyat the only warlock in the order? We have this long of a build up for the House of the Undying (that doesn't even have any undying in it), and we get none of the original prophesies? Even the prophesy from season 1 was cut, leaving out the part where she is told she will never bear another living child, which argueably was the most important part.

I'm curious why they even bothered with Ser Dontas in episode one and haven't had a scene with him since, while Littlefinger has already offered to take Sansa home.

Did Varys recruiting Ros really warrant that much screen time? I don't think the scene was bad if you have unlimited screen time, but I also don't see what it added considering how one of the main defenses of changes to the book is they don't have enough time to fit it all in. How did Ros get away from Cersei anyway?

Brieene is now a ruthless killer, who seems to enjoy it.

Robb's attitude and actions leading up to his wedding have made me a Frey sympathizer. He abandoned his people and his gods for a hot girl, and all the other reasons were swept aside and they considered this an improvement? Better to just keep the romance off screen if that is the best they can come up with.

Stannis almost chocking Mel out, and her god doesn't save her in any way the way it does with Davos and Cressen? Why not have the gem burn his hands or something? He stops for no obvious reason, and then she is all pressed up against him and affectionate again as if they just got out of bed together or something. No mention of how they lost because Stannis left her behind? And that was one of the better scenes in the episode...

The faceless men now train people so they can get revenge on those who wronged them.

Shae is a confusing mess of a character, who makes it seem like she is insulted that he thinks maybe she only cares about him for his money, and wants him to go over seas with her... So why doesn't Tyrion say that if she really loves him, he will stop paying her?

In the context of the show, what happened to Winterfell, and why doesn't Luwin tell them? Why would Luwin think they would get help at the wall anyway, since the night's watch takes no part?

Why did Pycelle throw Tyrion a coin? Is Tyrion poor or something? I was confused by that. Maybe I missed something.

Didn't like how Brienne killed those Northern men. Yes, she killed three men, but they were bloody BLOODY MUMMERS. C'mon....

Dracarys... :rolleyes: that little puff of smoke sure is deadly against a supposedly extremely powerful warlock who killed most of the 13.

Why isn't Loras KG and why is Margaery dressed like a hooker? I mean she is beautiful, but that dress was a little skanky for a courtroom.

Stannis' scenes were really not memorable...actually, I've already forgotten them. Something about him choking out Mel for really no reason.

ONE OF THE BIGGEST NITPICKS: Jaqen telling Arya she can get revenge on her list of people by becoming a Faceless Man. WHA???

From a Cut Scene"

Lord Mormont: "Edd, Grenn take my steward, go 3 miles that way and find me some frozen shit under a foot of snow!, NOW!"

Mormont's Crow: "Snow! Shit! Snow!"

Why did Pycelle throw Tyrion a coin? Is Tyrion poor or something? I was confused by that. Maybe I missed something.

Why isn't Loras KG and why is Margaery dressed like a hooker?

Tyrion payed his hooker in the episode when he lose his beard, and wasn't Margery dressed like a hooker the hole season?

It's a reference to the scene when Tyrion and the clansmen cut off Pycelle's beard and send him to the cells. Back then Tyrion gave a coin to the prostitute who was in bed with Pycelle and said "For your trouble".

I think the part where Brienne sees the hanging people and wants to bury them is when the ship shows up to hunt them down? If I'm remembering that correctly, I can see how the budget wouldn't allow for that scene. It's whatever. What bothers me is Brienne randomly killing people all the time. For all her skill, I remember it being a big deal when she killed someone for the first time.

It's undeniably different, but it worked. She's more bloodthirsty in the series, but it fits in with her general attitude - she thinks it's her job to defend the weak, and these guys raped and slowly murdered an unarmed woman who's only crime was consorting with the enemy.

The faceless men now train people so they can get revenge on those who wronged them.

This was potentially the biggest shift from the books. Arya's "prayer" of names is how she in effect resists the brainwashing techniques of the FM, which is why they are so eager for her to drop it. Using it as a recruitment tool changes who they are by a lot.

Shae is a confusing mess of a character, who makes it seem like she is insulted that he thinks maybe she only cares about him for his money, and wants him to go over seas with her... So why doesn't Tyrion say that if she really loves him, he will stop paying her?

IMO if he said this to TV Shae she would go for it. TV Shae is very different - she's shown to be willing to take personal risks to protect others (book Shae wouldn't spit on Sansa to keep her from burning to death, TV Shae held a knife to someone's throat to keep Sansa's menstruation secret), and I think it's clear she actually loves Tyrion. I'm very curious to see where they will go with her betrayal.

Any ideas as to why she has never once in the series called him "my giant of Lannister"?

Random & minor nitpick:

OK, so Tyrion is out of the chamber of the hand but is Tywin going to let a Lannister recover in a broom closet? If only for appearances' sake he should have been given a chamber befitting his birth.

IMO the chamber is more comfortable then in the books

Archived