[Book Spoilers] Qhorin Half-Brain..err I mean Half-Hand

xythil

That's not what happened at all.

- Qhorin tells Jon that one crow in Mances army is worth how ever many outside.

- Jon tells Qhorin that they'll never trust him.

- Qhorin tells Jon that they will if he does what needs to be done and then pushes him down screaming that he's a traitor.

- Qhorin attacks Jon all the while calling him a turn cloak/traitor/etc.

- Jon does as Qhorin instructed. He did what needed to be done.

Just because Qhorin didn't say "Kill me Jon" doesn't mean it wasn't heavily imply that he wanted Jon to do something extreme in order to get in with the wildlings. It was obvious that Jon knew what Qhorin was doing.

Problem is they whispered so quietly and subtly that none of the wildlings could hear. Unfortunately neither could the audience.

The question is what did they really gain by changing it? Other than cutting Ghost, they could have stuck to the original storyline with roughly the same amount of screen time and budget.

Have Ygritte escape Jon rather than be recaptured. Jon meets back up with Qhorin who tells him that the other rangers were killed by wildlings. Have Qhorin tell Jon that he must do anything asked of him talk. Move the fight up before episode 9, and then move Jon and Ygritte walking thru the snow together as fellow wildlings rather than as prisoners for their "bonding" moments this episode and still end with them looking down on the camp about to go meet Mance.

What the hell is wrong with these writers? Jon Ygritte have plenty time to bond next season if they are splitting the book.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, if I hadn't read the book shortly beforehand, it would have just looked like Qhorin having a tantrum and getting iced for it. I certainly didn't pick up any hints in the show that he was doing what he did in the books (sacrificing himself so that Jon can earn the wildlings' trust) - I'm glad I'm not the only one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just rewatched the episode. I must confess that I don't have the blue ray, so I only have the torrented version at my disposal. The scene where Qhorin tells Jon that he must do what has to be done to gain the wildlings' trust (the one they briefly showed in the S2 recap) IS NOT THERE. It's missing.

Was it cut from some airings or what? Could it be that the people who understood Qhorin's behaviour and those who didn't simply watched two different versions of the episode?!

I have just rewatched the episode. I must confess that I don't have the blue ray, so I only have the torrented version at my disposal. The scene where Qhorin tells Jon that he must do what has to be done to gain the wildlings' trust (the one they briefly showed in the S2 recap) IS NOT THERE. It's missing.

Was it cut from some airings or what? Could it be that the people who understood Qhorin's behaviour and those who didn't simply watched two different versions of the episode?!

He hints on that in Ep8, cause from Ep10 you wouldnt know what the hell is happening.

But still, it wasnt well done.

Archived