The Others/Wights

Drunken Bard

Were any of your non book readers a little confused as to the difference between a white walker(other) and a wight. The majority of my friends just assumed they were all zombies, and said "The walking dead is coming" in that AMC voice your always hearing.

There were White Walkers and then dead people that they had raised to fight for them, I could clearly see the difference.

I thought the "Others" were the ones who turn dead men into "White Walkers"? I honestly thought the visual adaptation was marvelous. They did an excellent job in creating the Others and I loved it.

I thought the "Others" were the ones who turn dead men into "White Walkers"? I honestly thought the visual adaptation was marvelous. They did an excellent job in creating the Others and I loved it.

nah others and white walkers are the same. i think they stopped using others as much for the show was because of lost.

Correct. The Others of the books were renamed White Walkers so ss not to be confused with a show called Lost. The white Walkers animate dead, even animals, who are called wights. The thing that tried to kill Lord Commander Mormont was a wights, a dead man come back to life. Burning bodies is how the Wildings prevent more Wights from coming back from death to fight them.

Perhaps more confusing then using the somewhat ambiguous term "Other" would be if the HBO folks called them "White Walkers", even though they are frequently depicted alongside creatures known as "Wights." People unfamiliar with the books could mistakingly hear White Walker, Wight Walker, Whites, Wight White Walker, White, White Walker; even more confusing for some (most?) non-readers because they wouldn't know what the term wight means, in it's real world context.

Oh wait.

Perhaps more confusing then using the somewhat ambiguous term "Other" would be if the HBO folks called them "White Walkers", even though they are frequently depicted alongside creatures known as "Wights." People unfamiliar with the books could mistakingly hear White Walker, Wight Walker, Whites, Wight White Walker, White, White Walker; even more confusing for some (most?) non-readers because they wouldn't know what the term wight means, in it's real world context.

Oh wait.

I know right? They didn't use the word 'Others' to avoid confusion with fans of Lost, but now the term they chose directly tangles with the main term (Walkers) in the new popular show 'The Walking Dead', which ironically I would imagine shares a strong percentage of the fan base.

....so can we just go back to Others??

Was no one else incredibly disapointed by the Other's? All I've heard is praise for them. They're meant to be inhuman and unknowable by humans, (if I recall correctly they look like they're made of ice). They just looked like blue guys, not threatening in the least.

No I am quite satisfied for reasons I've expressed some other place (dont remember where).

The funny thing is that if you look closely at the wights on the last shot, you will see some of the guys have been duplicated in different movments (mostly the half-naked long-blond-haired guy), we see the same wildling shield that has been used in other scenes, and sometimes, some of them are poorly incrusted in the image (look at their feet)... but otherwise, great shot.

No I am quite satisfied for reasons I've expressed some other place (dont remember where).

The funny thing is that if you look closely at the wights on the last shot, you will see some of the guys have been duplicated in different movments (mostly the half-naked long-blond-haired guy), we see the same wildling shield that has been used in other scenes, and sometimes, some of them are poorly incrusted in the image (look at their feet)... but otherwise, great shot.

Ahh give them a break its only TV!!!

Yeah I know, that is why I'm saying I am very satisfied of this scene, but I found it amusing to spot the little flaws, but just for fun, otherwise, great scene !

SPOILERS

The one on the horse directing the others was a White Walker (the WW formally known as Benjen Stark) right? Those following were wights.

Cold Hands is a wight, not a White Walker. White Walkers are an actual race of creatures. Wights are just reanimated corpses that White Walkers use for battle. I believe Benjen was killed and turned into a wight before the children of the forest returned him to his own mind (tough he's still a wight).

The one on the horse directing the others was a White Walker (the WW formally known as Benjen Stark) right? Those following were wights.

My friend pointed this out to me, I was under the impression that he was floating around somewhere, has this been confirmed? or just a theory?

As far as we know from the books, the White Walkers/Others are a completely different species of beings so a human cannot become a White Walker. The ones you saw on horses with the ice swords are White Walkers and the reanimate the dead human bodies that become wights. If Benjen Stark is dead and was in the army approaching the Fist of the First Men, he would only be a wight.

My friend pointed this out to me, I was under the impression that he was floating around somewhere, has this been confirmed? or just a theory?

If you really, really want to know:

Up until A Dance with Dragons, there has been no official confirmation on what happened to Benjen. There is a character that appears in A Storm of Swords and is still around in A Dance with Dragons that many people believe is Benjen, but it has not been proven as his face remains covered the entire time he is seen.

Archived