Could Melisandre resurrect Jon Snow?

YazzyYaz

And if Jon does become the 1,000th LC of the NW, or even regains his current position, wouldn't it be too ironic to have a dead LC Snow fighting the dead Others? Or maybe that's the advantage the NW needs to beat them, but I doubt that b/c I see the dragons beating them in the end

I'd laugh for hours if Jon gets instantly killed again :D

But for some odd reason she burns The Lord of Bones instead and keeps Mance alive as a favor to Jon. Why does she feel the need to gain Jon's trust? We were led to believe that waking a dragon was something Mel believed necessary, yet she passes on the chance to please the young lord commander. Is this because she has seen something in Jon that makes him unique? Or is it perhaps because Mance Rayder isn't a real king? Whatever the reason it just seems very odd.

My memory might be faulty but I thought she actually did that on her own accord rather than a favor to Jon. Jon Wasn't aware of the fact until halfway through book 5. But it is an interesting point. I assumed it was either because he wasn't a real king or because she had already seen Mance in a vision of the future.

But I am not even sure exactly what game Melisandre is playing. I seem to remember there were a couple of POV chapters for her in book 5 in which her thoughts confirmed her dedication to Stanis but such things can be misleading.

As for Mel healing Jon? Quite possibly, but I hope not. I would prefer him to be saved by Bran, some old gods mysticism, the wildlings, Ghost, or simply not having suffered mortal wounds.

I think Jon is dead, and is going to be in an animal (most certainly Ghost) until he is resurrected (by Mel or perhaps Bloodraven or Bran). The biggest clue I get to this is that the preface chapter with the warg who talks about his second life. All of that would be pretty worthless unless it was foreshadowing that Wargs can die and still be alive. The guy even talks about how he'd have his old memories for awhile, but eventually they would go away. So Jon has time, but he's on a clock or he'll "become" Ghost.

Just my 2 coppers.

That's a good point. I read the prologue as a way for us to learn more about Bran and his potential abilities but looking at what you said it makes sense that it could be foreshadowing what would happen to Jon.

I doubt it, for all we know Thoros reviving Lord Bleric was an accident, Mel was even surprised as to how they did it the the show and DnD have privy to the end game of Asoiaf. All her powers besides from fire reading can all come from wizard training which is not necessarily connected to R'hollor, though red priests affinity for magic throws a wrench into that. Shadow binding is specifically Asshai, and her glamour tricks can't come from the Red God, can' it? Her being immune poison could come from her training in the arts of poison.

Although, her not needing to eat nor drink nor sleep really throws me off.

I doubt it, for all we know Thoros reviving Lord Bleric was an accident, Mel was even surprised as to how they did it the the show and DnD have privy to the end game of Asoiaf. All her powers besides from fire reading can all come from wizard training which is not necessarily connected to R'hollor, though red priests affinity for magic throws a wrench into that. Shadow binding is specifically Asshai, and her glamour tricks can't come from the Red God, can' it? Her being immune poison could come from her training in the arts of poison.

Although, her not needing to eat nor drink nor sleep really throws me off.

Mel isn't really alive. Black blood, not needing food , etc. There may be the merest thread of life there... she takes a bit of water , drowses briefly occasionally ... but she's mostly dead ;) ( if not completely).

Mel isn't really alive. Black blood, not needing food , etc. There may be the merest thread of life there... she takes a bit of water , drowses briefly occasionally ... but she's mostly dead ;) ( if not completely).

This means that Stannis had sex with a ehmm corpse than???Yikes!

2) Jon's hand is stiff? I don't think GRRM would make such a distinctive point of having Jon constantly flex his hand every other paragraph to make it coincidentally not work when he needs it most.

3) I haven't seen anyone mention this before, but the way that Wick and Bowen Marsh behave seems amiss to me. When Wick slashes at him he backs away with his hands up as if it wasn't him (could just be self-defense though). Also, why is Bowen Marsh crying? A tough man of the NW and he cries when attacking an oathbreaker that has been continually angering him? (Perhaps just the shame in having to do it?) Could be me grabbing at straws, but I get a feeling they didn't want or mean to do this.

2) This really stood out for me too. Jon seems a bit "all over the shop" throughout the whole event, walking into danger, taken so unaware after all Mel's warnings. And above all, his bloody months of hand clenching fails to pay off.

3) IIRC there's been another reference on the forum to "assassinations" carried out by unwitting culprits. The one i do recall is in the tales of Dunk and Egg.

“Prince Maekar turned to face him. "Some men will say I meant to kill my brother. The gods know it is a lie, but I will hear the whispers till the day I die. And it was my mace that dealt the fatal blow, I have no doubt. Strange to say, I do not recall the blow that broke his skull. Is that a mercy or a curse? Some of both, I think.”
In an earlier chapter, signs pointed to Bloodraven somehow controlling Maekar.

“Rhaegel is feeble-minded. Why, I bear him no ill will, but the man is good as dead, and those twins of his as well, though whether they will die of Maekar's mace or Bloodraven's spells ...”

So to wrap up, I reckon the brother who did the killing may not have been acting of their own volition.

There may be a thread to pull here... That shiny red ruby around her neck look suspiciously like it could be a glamour suit. She isn't dead, but I doubt she is as she appears.

Does anyone think that Lady Stoneheart will be the one to resurrect him... I know it isn't the most popular theory, but I believe it is the most likely. Lady Stoneheart was not resurrected by Thoros it was Dondarrion who breathed life (fire) into her when Thoros refused to try and save her. I think that it would be interesting if she were the one to save him as she has wronged him most of his life. If Howland Reed were to tell her the truth about Jon in an attempt to make her see reason she may make a hasty journey to the wall to let him know that Rob left the North to him and that he is the rightful heir of the Iron throne, if R+L=J is true. When she finds him frozen she will save him to honor Ned's promise to protect him by breathing fire into him. Just a theory...

Does anyone think that Lady Stoneheart will be the one to resurrect him... I know it isn't the most popular theory, but I believe it is the most likely. Lady Stoneheart was not resurrected by Thoros it was Dondarrion who breathed life (fire) into her when Thoros refused to try and save her. I think that it would be interesting if she were the one to save him as she has wronged him most of his life. If Howland Reed were to tell her the truth about Jon in an attempt to make her see reason she may make a hasty journey to the wall to let him know that Rob left the North to him and that he is the rightful heir of the Iron throne, if R+L=J is true. When she finds him frozen she will save him to honor Ned's promise to protect him by breathing fire into him. Just a theory...

This. I like it.

^I like it too. But I think we would have seen UnCat moving North by now if this was going to happen.

We haven't seen Un Cat much at all since AFFC. She is currently trying to kill Jamie, but I don't think this matters much as Jon's body will be frozen and his spirit alive within Ghost (most likely)... It may take a long time for Jon to be revived in the next book (if he is to be "reborn").... I don't think GRRM will save Jon immediately.. I sometimes think that Dany will have to have something to do with his revival because of her dream about a Blue Rose growing from a wall of ice, but I still hope that it is Un-Cat that saves him.... In Dany's chapters she is told "to touch the light she must pass beneath the Shadow." I think that Jon is the "light" AA (She is TPTWP) The shadow is the Wall.... and the others.... idk... just my theories... but I still don't see how Dany could be the one to bring him back to life... I think it has to be Un-Cat....

Archived