So what is the best fantasy book / series?

rumple9

I loved ASOIAF series - the first fantasy books I've ever read. However on recommendation of the classic fantasy books to read I tried the Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb and the Magician - Raymond Feist and hated both. In fact I gave up on magician halfway through. So what is a really good read other than Lord of the Rings?

Attempting some kind of objective measure yields Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie to be the best fantasy novel given that it won the Booker and Booker of Bookers.

One of my personal contenders would be Beloved by Toni Morrison.

Best fantasy series...haven't read enough Murakami, but aren't some subset of his books interconnected?

ETA: My person contender would be Moorcock's Eternal Champion Series.

ETA II: Also, don't know if it counts as a series, but the Bas Lag novels of China Mieville.

What I cant understand is books like Magician and assassins apprentice come so highly recommended as a fantasy classics but I found both frankly boring, coming no where near ASOIAF

What I cant understand is books like Magician and assassins apprentice come so highly recommended as a fantasy classics but I found both frankly boring, coming no where near ASOIAF

like anything else, YMMV. But I think there are several series better than those two, there's like six rec thread stickied with a variety of opinions.

Read this thread first:

But given that you seem to think objective truth does exist and that those who don't share your opinion are wrong, I recommend The Sword of Truth series.

Jesus Grack, learn the fuck how to spell. ;-)

eta: Ha, and it just hits me that the no/know error has no mispellings invovled misspellings involved. Looks like we've both been reading too many damn tie-ins. ;-P

eta II: Did I just misspell two words while complaining about spelling? Fuck I just got served.

you know an awful lot about her life for someone that's not tracy hickman

There is so much wrong with that comment I don't know where to begin.

And I don't know what the hell is wrong with my..er...grammar lately.

But yeah, she's a breast cancer survivor, been married/divorced at least twice, and her son died unexpectedly(that's all thats publicly known) back in 2002ish, so, yeah, her life has been shitty.

I really like ASOIAF and Hobb's Farseer, but they are very different so I'm not surprised that you'd have this reaction. I haven't read Feist and won't, but it sounds even less GRRM-esque, to me.

Perhaps you should consider Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora? Certainly less "high fantasy" than Martin, but gritty with very real-world stakes and some nice plot twists.

Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight is a contender (Though the title and the rough plot outline would probably have people turning up their noses at it...just trust me). Anything by Lord Dunsany as well. The first three Earthsea books have some beautiful writing in 'em. Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner is also a favourite, though it's only just barely a fantasy novel.

Archived