[Book Spoilers] What is your favorite theory you've seen from non-readers?

sarah.jenice

I think my fave theory is the Blackfish smuggling a pregnant Jeyne out of Riverrun, while her mother parades Jeyne's sister as Jeyne to the Lannisters. This would be a pretty awesome storyline. As much as I love the Lannisters, the Starks need a comeback.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the 2 seasons and then started reading from SOS.

What surprised me was that the shadow that killed renly didn't appear again.

I mean, mel told stannis that she will give him a son, they made it on the wonderfull westeros map.

Then we see mel giving birth to a strange son, which immediately proove effective.

I (and many of my friends) thought stannis was gonna use the shadow in the blackwater.

In the last episode I said, well ok, I understood why he didn't use it.

BUT I thought the shadow was always living with them in some room of the dragonstone until it would be needed again :D

Many people who only watched the shows still expects something from the shadow

im a warcraft player so i dont rly do anything else :)

i have seen both sesons before reading .

few months ago i quit warcraft and that gave me time to read i read all 5 books 1 after another and 3 dunc and the egg storys (incidently i started play warcraft again right after i was finished with the books :)

my new warrior is called Bloodraven .

anyway :

i tought Robb and Stannis will finally get togheter to kick Lanisters butts.

i tought Deny is coming to Westeros .

i tought Tyrion will get respect from his father

i tought Arya will make it to Cat

and i tought Sam isnt getitng attacked by whites becouse he was a coward.

and they dont kill scared people only brave once :P

• 2 weeks later...

*after weeks of me persuading my friend to watch GoT, we're watching 1st episode. The Royal family comes to Winterfell*

Friend: Wow, the king's fat and ugly! I thought he'd be more like Boromir... that Joffrey kid is lucky he got his mother's looks.

Me: *Silently choking*

Friend: WHAT! He's screwing his sister! That's just sick. I hope that Joffrey kid isn't his, that would be just disgusting and awkward.

me:... yeah, you should probably stop watching now.

:D I find this topic quite interesting, am gonna question my non-reader friends and come back later. :)

Okay, let me sum up the expectations of my many non-reader friends:

1. They agree Robb's fucked and will die pretty soon. There are three most common theories about how it'll happen: his bannermen are gonna kill him for treason when they find he got married/Freys will leave offended, leaving Robb weakened, and than he will loose in battle with Tywin and get killed on battlefield/Talisa is Lannister spy send to kill Robb in his sleep, which she will struggle to do, cause she fell in love with him, but she will succeed in the end. Most of people wish for Grey Wind to escape. Talisa is really hated. :D

2. Everyone wants Joffrey to die in a very ugly, painfull way. People mostly agree Sansa will be the one to do it, but there are also some who believe Margaery will kill him after their marriage, cause she wants to rule herself. Than Margaery will have great bitch-showdown with Cersei. ( :D) No one really likes Margaery and everyone thinks she's a first class scheming bitch. I think that's mostly because of Natalie Dormer. She just looks suspicious. :D

3. A lot of people want Sansa to kill Joff and than escape with Hound. Apparently, Hound is a fan favourite (cause you know, he's such a tragic, misunderstood romantic hero with hidden feelings for Sansa). :D

4. It's commonly believed Little Finger will hook up with Cat at some point.

5. Also popular is the theory in which Tyrion tells Tywin his precious twin-syblings are fucking, which will lead to a great heartbreaking re-union of father and son, and they will later team up against Cersei, knock her down and send Jamie to Night'S Watch, cause you know, Daddy Tywin is not so bad after all, he was so nice to Arya! :D

6. Arya is believed to reunite with Cat and live with her and StepDaddy Little Finger. Everyone also wants for her to find her direwolf.

7. Most of them also think Bran and Rickon are now heading south to meet Cat.

8. Widely spread theory also says Jon will join the Wildlings and kill Mance, which will lead to Wildlings making him their new king. He will than destroy the Others with his new wildling army (they're not sure how). When Others are gone, Wildlings can go back to their homes and Jon will return to the Wall, where he'll be named Lord Commander for his achievements. Mostly, people believe Jon will do big. My friend said "Look at the way his hair sway in the wind, and his cheekbones, he's totally meant for something big." :D She also noted something that surprised me: "Basically everyone in there is fucked somehow, but nothing really bad ever happens to Jon. They're totally saving him up so when everyone's dead, Jon rises and takes over the fucking world."

9. Of course everyone believes that now that Dany took over Qarth, she's gonna use their wealth to buy ships and finally head to Westeros. poor them. :D

10. They believe Stannis is gonna end bad because of Mel. They think she will lead him to some kind of disaster.

11. Popular one is also the theory that Renly lives, and continues making sweet love to Loras. (favourite realationship so far. :D)

12. None of them can imagine Jamie returning to Cersei and that they will continue incesting. Most people think Jamie and Brienne will hook up during their journey.

That's all i can remember from the survey I did today. :D

Edited for spelling.

My favorites from the nonreaders I know is that Tyrion will become king in the end and Sansa will marry the Hound, after she turns him into a "good guy"

Some funny things I found out from talking to a non-reader friend is that he didn't realize until I told him that the 2 kids Theon burned and hung were supposed to be Bran and Rickon. He just assumed from the beginning that they were the farmer's kids becuase Bran said they would hurt the farmer if they went there, then Theon and his crew found the nuts, so he just assumed they killed the farmer's kids as punishment. So the dramatic "NOOOO" scream from the maester was weird to him and he was not at all suprised that the Bran and Rickon were still alive.

He also thinks Asha (Yarra) is behind the betrayal of Theon (which is valid considering what has been shown).

He also didn't understand why Brienne immeditely swore and oath to Catelyn after Renly dies and thinks that Brienne has motives of here own.

Also... that Shae is a spy becuase she won't talk about her family during the game and is buddy-buddy with Varys, that Jon Snow is really Benjen's kid, and that Arya will be the first female to join the night's watch.

• 4 months later...

A lot of non-book readers have assumed that Dany is going to westeros, and that the Others (or White Walkers in the show) are marching on the Wall.

A lot of non-book readers have also been told by book readers that:

a) GRRM is ruthless with his characters. Hence the number of non-book readers who assume Robb is a goner, as much as they hope he isn't.

b Something really intense happens in book 3.

I watched the first two seasons before reading the books. As a non-book reader I:

- Believed the wildlings were camped out in the region because Mance was looking for an artefact. Not far off I guess, but I thought the artefact would be some kind of mystical sword that only a "true king" could wield. So in other words I thought GRRM had included the classic Excalibur/Gram motif like Jordan did with Callandor in WoT. Of course I believed Jon would be the one to find and wield the sword, not Mance.

- Thought that when Tyrion told Littlefinger he would be the "centerpiece of his next deception", they had hatched some plan together that was yet to come to fruition, and that Catlin releasing Jaime was somehow part of it. Way off, I know. Told this theory to my cousin, a book reader, and I could tell he wasn't impressed. All he said was that Tyrion in the books doesn't trust Littlefinger an inch.

I also assumed Robb would die, but it still shocked me when I read it in the books as I'm sure it will the TV audience when they see it. Nothing can prepare you for THAT.

Ok, at times I'm ashamed to know this person...

Jon will be excused from the NW, and head south to join Robb and Catelyn (who is overjoyed to see him, as Ned is dead and Jon has Ned's blood in him... :stillsick: ) Jon runs into Bran and Rickon on the road and takes them south with him. Y'know, because they all have wolves, and wolves have tracking devices for each other or something.

Arya makes it to Riverrun, and is there for Jon's arrival.

LF fulfills his promise to Sansa, taking her (somehow not getting killed in the war that is, y'know, in full swing) by road to Riverrun, and as a result, hooks up with Cat. Sansa gets with Gendry. Arya and Jon play swordfighting, and all the direwolves are united (because Sean Bean didn't really kill Lady!)

The big happy family unite and destroy the Lannisters, apart from Tyrion, because he is friends with Jon, who vouches for him. Tyrion explains what really went down with the whole trying-to-kill-Bran thing, that practically every other Lannister was involved. But not him.

But, oh no, the Others are coming! Dany has sailed to Westeros, her Dragons then toast the others who melt away. The Wildlings now have nothing to run away from and so retreat home. Jon and Dany fall madly in love :ack: and rule together, with Tyrion as Hand (who is happily married to the genuine, kind Shae) and the dragons (sweet giant lizard pets, dontchaknow) live in KL with them. Stannis cooperates because he was practically defeated already. Robb goes happily back to Winterfell with his family, and everyone is happy.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

that poor summer child still thinks there is hope

This thread was fun to read.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who watches the show or reads the books.

Anyway, my theories were (most of these are theories for after season 2, but some were before certain episodes, you should be able to tell which ones are which):

-Stannis and Renly would join forces and take King's Landing. Boy was I wrong there... :(

-I honestly thought Arya would tell Jaqen to kill Joffrey, Cersei, and probably Tywin, but when I saw that she was naming these random people, I stopped guessing that.

-Jon would stay with the wildlings

-Bran would reach the Wall, but Jon wouldn't be there because he's off with the wildlings

-Robb (and only Robb) would receive some kind of punishment for breaking the marriage pact the Freys, but what actually happened hit me so hard and fast that I didn't see it coming (didn't even pick up on any of the clues at all)

-Talisa is actually a spy... could still be possible

-Arya would continue north to the Wall or Winterfell

-Sansa would remain in King's Landing for a whlie (which turned out to be true)

-Tyrion would just become some small council member since Tywin arrived

-Brienne and Jaime would actually reach King's Landing (well I was right on that one as well)

-I didn't have a clue on what Dany was going to do next. I figured she wasn't going to Westeros yet because she didn't have an army.

-Davos, poor Davos. Everybody kinda forgot about him. Including me. But he's one of my top POVs now

-I had no theories for Joffrey because I knew the PW was coming thanks to Youtube comment spoilers

I liked the one about how Cat might be having Brienne take Jaime somewhere safe like Riverrun to hold him so Karstark wouldn't kill him, but not actually to King's Landing. I mean, dude - this is show CAT. As if she would think of something that makes that much sense.

Book Cat isn't much more capable of something that makes that much sense, either.

Another great entry from the TWOP site where a poster said there was no difference between Tywin leaving Arya with Gregor and Jaq leaving her with Gendry, the implication being that Gendry and Gregor weren't too different to be left with.

Oh and that Tywin was a good father figure as he was mentoring her between right and wrong. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My friend just started reading SoS, so he really has no idea yet what's happening, and a theory he mentioned the other day which was amusing was the Orell is the three eyed crow (cause, you know, he's the only other warg we know of and he's north of the Wall) so Bran and co are making their way to the wildling camp where Bran will once again be united with Jon and learn to fly via the eagle Orell commands etc

:drunk:

• 2 weeks later...

My boss is the only person I know who only watches the show and we discuss it sometimes although he's made it abundantly clear that I am not to spoil him. However, we did get into an argument over who was the rightful heir to the throne. He insisted it was Gendry and will not believe me that he's not in the succession as he's illegitimate. I snapped one time that it was Stannis and that was how I figured out that apparently I subconsciously support Stannis. But it is really hard not to ruin things for him. Like he really likes TV Shae with Tyrion and I just have to be noncommittal and go "oh yes, she's lovely." He still insists that Gendry will sit the iron throne though.

Archived