top 5 things you liked and top 5 you hated in season 2
Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:12 AM
5- battle of blackwater
4- Briennjaime scenes in 2x08, 2x10
3- The winterfell story arc
2- Balon Greyjoy
1- Stannis's speech : 'first we ate the horses...'
5 Jaime killing Alton
4. Weasel soup?
3. Stannis-renly scene
2. the general dumpdown in terms of strategy, the whole season was like: Robb moving around, Tywin waiting, blackwater BOOM
Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:18 AM
1. Portrayals of Tyrion, Tywin, Theon, Catelyn, Arya & Jaqen H'ghar
2. Beheading of Ser Rodrik
3. Tyrion's speech during Blackwater battle
4. Arya & Tywin dialogues
5. Varys face when LF is given Harrenhal
Dislikes (in no particular order)
1. No Renly's Peach (!!!)
3. Robb & Talisa story
4. House of Undying
5. Jon Snow's arc
Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:31 AM
- Theon's arc.
- Jon's arc ending (loved Yigritte, though, but hated the way they handled things with Qhorin).
- Talisa: boring.
- Harrenhal not dangerous enough.
- Bran's storyarc was quite useless except in the end.
- Not enough Davos and Stannis.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:39 AM
Dislikes: everything pointlessly cut out from the books, also scenes in the books which were better.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:54 AM
I loved Cersei so much
I loved most of King's Landing
Theon scenes in the beginning of the season
Measter Luwin's death scene.
What I didn't like:
Doreah being sortoff evil? Irri and Rakharo dying?? Xaro Xhoan Doxos dead?? House of the Undying is manned by only 1 warlock??
Brienne slaughtering knights? Loras not doing that?
Jaime killing his cousin... WTF??
Winterfell was kinda weird at the end.
Edited by what-is-dead-may-never-die, 09 June 2012 - 07:02 AM.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:54 AM
Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:12 AM
Gwendoline Christie ... I didn't know how they were going to pull this off, but Gwen is spot on as Brienne.
Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H'ghar. I had a suspicion that Tom would work, I did not expect him to be great in such a short amount of screen time. (I puzzle, another case of an actor who is more commanding on the screen than the page. In theory we should not see him again , until , god knows when.... which leads me to think we will be worked into season 4, if there is one!)
I had trepidations as to how the heck they were going to work with Arya's story at Harrenhal, since it has only one real actionable scene. The extremely fine verbal confrontation or Arya and Tywin was my high point of the season. I am ready to give Maisie Williams an Emmy right now.
D and D never figured out how to handle Qarth, but that was a worse problem for the producers than Harrenhal. Except for the 'action-ed up' E10. Show how what's on the page takes some very great creativity as adaptation and I don't think , sorry to say, D and D, had the time to do it.
A Global problem, except for E9, (and I'll say it again) how to pound 100 pounds of prose fiction into a 10 hour teleplay bag. It as if one had there beautiful gems of individual scenes strung together so they made a flawed necklace.
We shall see if this problem can be solved with a season 3 and 4.
(We only have the vaguest hint that D and D will get two more seasons.)
Edited by boojam, 09 June 2012 - 01:15 PM.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:19 AM
In the books , just me, when I re-read them, three threads I follow, in order are, Arya, Dany, and Tyrion.
George seems to have more fun with these.
Tho I am partial to Brienne and Davos's stories too.
Actually Arya's story in SoS is , for my money, the best, had more fun with it than any other.
Especially 'travels with the Hound'.
By the by, I was not one bit disappointed with Arya's story this season, it was one of the one that worked best.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:30 AM
I am one who thinks that Gemma Whelan and Carice van Houten got shorted by D and D.
Why D and D had Carice so underplay Melisandre in the first few episodes is a mystery.
Why D and D decided to have Asha/Yara mirror Balon Greyjoy so completely was a mistake.
Gemma Whelan is an attractive woman and a good actress, it's like they totally missed a beat there.
Interestingly Carice got better and better with the E10 scene being her best.
Gemma finally got to show her range in her last scene with Theon, so redemption at last.
Seeing her as an action hero is going to be interesting.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:42 AM
For one thing!. FOR GOD'S SAKE! Send Ian Whyte back to being a White Walker. Find somebody who can play Gregor Clegane!
Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:53 AM
Seeing her as an action hero is going to be interesting.
I so agree with you; she was BRILLIANT in that scene and so was Alfie Allen.
1. Macie Williams/Arya scenes and storyline. Yes, it was different from the book, but it was great.
2. Sandor/Sansa scenes. GRRM's writing of the Blackwater/Sansa's bedroom scene between the two characters was a great explanation of the dynamic between these two characters. He seemed to simply want to help save her if he could.
3. Jaime/Brienne interaction. The actors and writers captured this perfectly.
1. The storyline with Catelyn sending the Kingslayer w/Brienne before the news of Bran/RIkon's deaths. This made no sense to me and made her seem selfish/flaky.
2. Shae's supposed 'goodness' and her constant tough girl/waving the butter knife around . Whatever
3. Some of the wildling/Night's Watch scenes seemed a bit slow to me, but I do realize they are having to set the stage, so to speak.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:45 AM
Anyway, my picks are.
Things I liked:
- the Blackwater battle.
- most of the "newcomers", Stannis and Davos in particular.
- the story in King's Landing. Tyrion, Cersei, Joffrey and co. were awesome.
- the final scene with the Others (even though it didn't make sense to spare Sam).
- Theon's story up until his men betrayed him.
Things I didn't like at all:
- Arya's stay in Harrenhal.
- Jon's story.
- Dany's story. The coup in Qarth in particular.
- Jaime killing his cousin.
- the removal of the grief in Robb's decision to sleep with Talisa and Cat's to release Jaime.
There are probably more things to mention but these are off the top of my head.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:09 AM
2. Theon's betrayal of the Starks
3. Tyrion as Hand of the King
4. Arya as Tywin's cupbearer
5. White Walkers attacking the Fist of the First Men
1. Jon killing Qhorin in anger/Qhorin being less of a badass and getting captured
2. Robb and Cat not grieving for Bran and Rickon when they acted like idiots
3. Cliffs Notes treatment of parley
4. Jaime's nonsensical escape attempt.
5. House of the Undying (can be salvaged if Dany receives the prophecies from Quaithe later)
Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:00 AM
1. BLACKWATER . .. entire episode is TV perfection ..
2. Dracarys . . I am one of the few Team Dany fans on this website and loved it.
3. Jaime killing Alton and getting out of dodge
4. Brienne and Lady Catelyn's friendship
5. Theon's story arc, brilliant . .. . and Epic
Five DISLIKES (only five?)
1. Ros, she adds nothing other than carnal flesh to the TV show.
2. Not explaining the destruction of Winterfell. I got asked so many questions about that when I got to work on Monday.
3. Robb's Story arc, I think they deviated too much and harmed his perception.
4. Jon Snow's Story Arc with the Halfhand. No one cared about him being killed, it meant nothing, it was poorly developed.
5. Miss Development. Overall they developed things that didn't work like Littlefinger tossing himself at Catelyn, and Catelyn releasing Jaime before she hears about Bran and Rickon . . just so many things I didn't like that didn't IMO work.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:36 AM
Davos and Stannis
Tyrion and Cersei's dynamic
The scenes at Renly's camp (Renly, Loras, Marg, Brienne)
House of the Undying
Qhorin and Jon Snow
Too much Tywin and Arya (at first it was brilliant but it got a little tiresome)
Talisa and Robb
Littlefinger's character development
Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:52 AM
1. Davos (and Stannis to an extent, but mostly Davos)
2. The Luwin scene at the end of episode 10
3. Theon's Arc
1. Talisa. I dont hate her as much as most, but she was a bit meh for me. The Wedding was awkward and didn't fit in much
2. Jaime's escape (well, attempted, at least)
3. Too much focus on LF (he's my favorite character for sure, but he was supposed to be mostly absent from Clash of Kings)
4. Ros, and the Joffrey whore scene
5. Qarth (the Spice King is the only thing that kept me watching. Then when he died I kind of failed to pay attention)
Edited by Mr Motte, 09 June 2012 - 10:53 AM.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:53 AM
handling of theon's story arc
margaery getting bigger part then in the book (actress was fantastic), renley also and loras
brienne (again, actress was fantastic)
differences from the book , in season 1 it was handled far better
change of characters and their motivations for many characters from the book
melisandre, they totally missed her looks
jon snow story was so-and-so, igrytte was casted good though
catelyn story, littlefinger being suddenly not-so-subtle
asha/yara - terrible casting, terrible change in charactre from the book (we got this bland bully instead of fierce pirate) ,terrible actress
robb's story arc - they massacred his character, someone should be severely punished for this
house of undying
Edited by Giskard Reventlov, 09 June 2012 - 12:17 PM.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:40 AM
1. Limited Arya/Tywin scenes
3. Rose Leslie as Ygritte- Much more interesting than books
4. Jhaqen Hqar
5. Drunk Cersei
Bad- So many complaints to be honest.
1. Killing off The Tickler and Amory Lorch instead of saving up for their glorious deaths
2. No further characterization of the Mountain
3. The watered-down version of the Hound- The bedroom scene was a disgrace. I want him to demand a freaking song and almost kiss Sansa and then run off at the slighest sign of affection from her. Not be a nice guy, offer her to leave with him, and then leave it ambiguous as to what happened.
4. Pretty much everything in Winterfell- No Reeds, no little Walders, and especially NO FREAKING REEK.
5. No Weasel Soup, no Arya vicious murder of the guard using the Valar Morghulis coin, basically no independence and strength from Arya.
6. Too little Gendry and Hot Pie. I wanted the battlecall of "HOT PIE!!!" going into the battle with Lorch.
7. Robb and Talisa was just stupid, makes Robb the idiot look even dumber.
8. Bran/Rickon fakeout was weak as hell. Nobody thought they were dead.
9. Terrible casting choice for Asha- I wanted a really hot, violent pirate with a softspot for Theon.
10. Making Davos lead the attack on Blackwater and making him look like an idiot.
Edited by Tagganaro, 09 June 2012 - 11:41 AM.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:55 AM
2. Arya & Tywin chats
3. Stannis & Davos chemistry
4. Margaery lovely boobs
5. HotPie close-ups
1. "purist" readers' reviews. "purist" readers' comments. "purist" readers.
2. Kit Harington. what a dog of an actor.
3. Kit Harington. what a dog of an actor.
4. Kit Harington. what a dog of an actor.
5. Arya's lack of one murder. don't care about the victim, canon or not, but for her characterization i would have preferred at least one real killing