Joe Abercrombie - Thanks ! [Book Spoilers]

Prince Aegon VI

Wait, how does Prometheus lead to Abercrombie? You lost me there.

In Abercrombie's review of Prometheus (which I saw yesterday afternoon), he compares...something, to China Mieville. And I found it kind of hilarious. So as soon as I saw a China Mieville novel, my mind went to Prometheus/Abercrombie, and then his books, which I've been meaning to pick up for ages.

EDIT: His review (it contains many a spoiler)

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/06/04/prometheus/

I know he occasionally posts on here, maybe even lurks from time to time. If he reads this post then good. If not then still good. Just felt I had to comment on The First Law trilogy, having in the last hour finished the 3rd and last book. Brilliant !!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way here. Abercrombie is a great storyteller and an awesome writer. Btw, the chapter in the Heroes titled 'Casualties' is the best depiction of a battle I've read in years. It's gritty, it's dark and it's real. You should pick up Best served cold and the Heroes. Both are great books and will keep you busy until A red country is released this fall.

You should pick up Best served cold and the Heroes. Both are great books and will keep you busy until A red country is released this fall.

Yep. Read the first 80 odd pages of Best Served Cold. Good so far. As you say a great storyteller.

Reading his Blog he sounds full of himself but so what. So is GRRM.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way here. Abercrombie is a great storyteller and an awesome writer. Btw, the chapter in the Heroes titled 'Casualties' is the best depiction of a battle I've read in years. It's gritty, it's dark and it's real. You should pick up Best served cold and the Heroes. Both are great books and will keep you busy until A red country is released this fall.

He writes well but it's all so damn depressing.

I mean the characters are well done but they're all such unlikeable arseholes. There's like one guy who isn't a total knobhead, and life predictably shits all over him.

I guess Eejit's referring to Collem West. Poor bastard.

The guy who left his own sister with an abuser, then turns into one himself? Oh ya, the likable one.

I think Ardee is the only likable one, once you relize that most her bad traits are seen through the eyes if Jezel's selfish butt.

The guy who left his own sister with an abuser, then turns into one himself? Oh ya, the likable one.

Hey, don't you be dissin' on my buddy Collem. I hold that man near and dear to my heart. I'm still even holding out a tiny bit of hope that he didn't

die after all. I mean, we never saw the body, so we don't absolutely KNOW that he's dead ......

I'm not the biggest fan of Abercrombie in the world, but A) He seems to become better and better for every book and B) He can look at his own books and say "Yeah, that was kind of shitty." Both are things that should be prized in an author.

I haven't read any of Abercrombie's works yet, but on the basis of the earlier positive comments I saw on this board I recommended to the English professor at my university (who is a fan of ASOIAF and who teaches a course on Tolkien and Rowling) that he ask the university library to order Abercrombie's books, and remarkably he took that advice. So soon they will be available to a bunch of students in Nebraska, at any rate. :)

I haven't read any of Abercrombie's works yet, but on the basis of the earlier positive comments I saw on this board I recommended to the English professor at my university (who is a fan of ASOIAF and who teaches a course on Tolkien and Rowling) that he ask the university library to order Abercrombie's books, and remarkably he took that advice. So soon they will be available to a bunch of students in Nebraska, at any rate. :)

Speaking seriously for once -- the First Law trilogy was a very striking listening experience for me. One of those things that just kind of makes you giddy with enjoyment. Where you keep thinking to yourself "lookit that! lookit how he did that! Wow, isn't that GREAT??".

OTOH, when I finished Last Argument of Kings -- before I had even found this board and its subversive participants -- I emailed Our Illustrious Abercrombie just so I could call him an Evil Bastard to his face (or at least his computer's face). I meant it then, and I still mean it now. ;)

eta -- oh, and incidentally -- the only reason I found this forum in the first place is that I was searching the net for discussions of Abercrombie's books. So, added on to all his other sins, you can also blame him for my presence here. ;)

Archived