D and D appreciation thread . .

ServantOnIce

David%20Benioff%20Dan%20Weiss%20Game%20of%20Thrones.jpg

I know folks across the different ASoIaF websites have been giving these guys crap lately, but I want to say again that despite some of the things I don't like that they have done this season, I appreciate the great work and hard work they do overall.

I think as Ron Franklin once said about SEC Football, "Folks need to step back and take a breath sometimes."

I appreciate all the work they have done and GOD willing, I am on their side and looking forward to what great things they have coming in the future seasons.

I talk to folks all the time, who are hooked on what they are doing.

I appreciate you two geniuses, keep it going. Let D and D know how much you appreciate them folks and let's silence the haters!!!!!

Ha! Good luck with this one. For my own part, I appreciate what they have done with ASOIF. The first season was wonderful television and despite some missteps, season two has been better than almost anything else I've seen on TV in the last year (I've never bought into Mad Men, nostalgia-fuelled tripe).

For those who have been critical of season two, I think you can at least be assured that D&D are mindful of fan response. They read these boards and I'm sure the content of the criticism - when it is put forth cogently and intelligently - will be taken on board for season three.

Hear hear.

Overall I like what they have done so far and I'm looking forward to season 3. But as a fervent fan of fantasy literature and culture I think the best thing about them making GoT this popular is that they're making people, who ridiculed this genre before, reading fantasy.

They might just be the biggest trolls in fantasy literature right now.

I actually really liked season 2, probably better than the first one. There are some changes I didn't like, but I was gratefull that Dany got something to do in Quarth, I hated that part of the book, although I have to say I am a big Dany hater and therefore rather biased.

Since the overall story is still the same, every major character goes where he is supposed to, I don't mind if Tywin chats up Arya or Littlefinger turns out to be an even bigger jerk than he already is. The show presents its characters well and the changes to some of them seem consistent within the "universe" of the show. I think the fact that I still root for the same characters (Stannis and Davos) and still hate the same people as when I read the books helps me to appreciate the series for what it is. Not every character is the same, they do behave different sometimes, but the "essence" is still there.

The only thing I'm concerned with is Dany's storyline. I didn't like her from start, but it seems to me that D&D have to come up with more "interesting" things for her to do the longer the series goes. I fear that at some point they will dig themselves a plot hole they can't get out of. I've nothing against Emilia Clarke's performance, but I always found the Essos storyline rather boring and Tyrion won't be there soon enough to make it more interesting for me.

But as a fervent fan of fantasy literature and culture I think the best thing about them making GoT this popular is that they're making people, who ridiculed this genre before, reading fantasy.

I don't really think that fantasy in general is a "niche genre" as it was some years ago. We've had the three LotR movies and every fairy tale gets turned into a glorious fantasy movie nowadays.

Ha! Good luck with this one. For my own part, I appreciate what they have done with ASOIF. The first season was wonderful television and despite some missteps, season two has been better than almost anything else I've seen on TV in the last year (I've never bought into Mad Men, nostalgia-fuelled tripe).

For those who have been critical of season two, I think you can at least be assured that D&D are mindful of fan response. They read these boards and I'm sure the content of the criticism - when it is put forth cogently and intelligently - will be taken on board for season three.

I don't really want to barge in and rain on everyone's parade here, as I have no wish to appreciate D+D, but I'd just like to point out that they have said they're not accepting internet criticism.

There are some changes they made which I hated, mainly what they did with Stannis and the poorly handled Quorin scenes. I still enjoyed the show a lot though and I'm thankful that we have GoT as it's the best television series for years in my opinion.

Just to throw my own voice in here. I've read all the books and LOVE the show. If you compare the TV show to the images you create in your mind from the books, yes - it sucks. But if you instead compare the TV show to ANY other current show, I'd love to hear of anything else that even comes close. At this point, I think it may be the best show ever on TV - but I may have to yield that position to Band of Brothers. Tough call. But BoB was only 1 season and this continues so at least on that front this IS the best continuing show on TV and I, for my part, hail the producers, directors and script writers as the smartest people doing their job on television today.

Just to throw my own voice in here. I've read all the books and LOVE the show. If you compare the TV show to the images you create in your mind from the books, yes - it sucks. But if you instead compare the TV show to ANY other current show, I'd love to hear of anything else that even comes close. At this point, I think it may be the best show ever on TV - but I may have to yield that position to Band of Brothers. Tough call. But BoB was only 1 season and this continues so at least on that front this IS the best continuing show on TV and I, for my part, hail the producers, directors and script writers as the smartest people doing their job on television today.

Exactly what I think.

I want also add the example of The Sword of the truth: the show was HORRIBLE. Just horrible. A lot of the casting choices were wrong, and it looked like some cheap 80's movie.

I give them A for Effort and everything, but geniuses they are not.

Still, even though I don't think their show is the best thing since sliced bread, I admire their passion. Actually, that is more important to me than all the small flaws their show has. They are fans at heart. I wish them all the luck and success with the show, but I also hope they don't forget the source material that landed them this job and made them famous.

Exactly what I think.

I want also add the example of The Sword of the truth: the show was HORRIBLE. Just horrible. A lot of the casting choices were wrong, and it looked like some cheap 80's movie.

Legend of the Seeker wasn't exactly horrible as a TV show, only as an adaptation of the novels. It was still an enjoyable guilty pleasure, and as a fantasy series, it took the genre a lot more serious than Hercules or Xena. It was however all about the action, which wasn't really the main part of The Sword of Truth.

Now compared to Game of Thrones, you can see what a great job D&D have done in adapting the source material. You can say what you will about the changes, but it is very gratifying to see so much of GRRM's world come to life. The show works not only as fantasy but also as drama, Dinklage's awards are testament to that. Game of Thrones and everyone involved takes the source material seriously, the genre and its fans too, and the underlying themes.

I give them A for Effort and everything, but geniuses they are not.

Still, even though I don't think their show is the best thing since sliced bread, I admire their passion. Actually, that is more important to me than all the small flaws their show has. They are fans at heart. I wish them all the luck and success with the show, but I also hope they don't forget the source material that landed them this job and made them famous.

25th Hour made Benioff famous, not Game of Thrones. That movie is excellent and was adapted from a short story he wrote himself. These aren't just fans who liked the books and figured they could turn them into a show, they are recognised members of the film industry and were sent them the books to see if they could adapt them, not the other way around.

Just a note: The 25th Hour is Benioff's novel (his first), not a short story.

It's absolutely true that Benioff and Weiss are both published authors, and have been in Hollywood for a time (though I don't suppose it would be wrong to note that Benioff is, up to now, the more well-known and successful of the two). They got HBO on board based on their credentials and on the strength of their proposal for that first season, their overall pitch. Obviously that's built in large part on the books, but it's not as if the were or will be nobodies without the show.

I give them credit for trying. This is not an easy story to adapt--just think about how many moving parts there are. I think the show could be A LOT worse, and I like that it's attracted the attention of so many who would never have even come across ASOIAF if they hadn't been wowed by the show. At the end of the day, D&D are fans like us, but they have the added responsibility of trying to make good TV while adapting the source material we all love. It's not easy. The backlash for making changes to the story is to be expected. Remember LOTR? Remember Faramir's character in TTT? The fury of the fandom was terrible to behold at the time.

Well I didn't mind most of the changes for season 2 (some were bad, though), as I enjoy being surprised. I think they got most of the characters to where they needed to be without completely destroying their storylines, and ACoK was a super-difficult book to adapt. So I do appreciate their efforts, even if I criticize some of the changes they've made.

I give them credit for trying. This is not an easy story to adapt--just think about how many moving parts there are. I think the show could be A LOT worse, and I like that it's attracted the attention of so many who would never have even come across ASOIAF if they hadn't been wowed by the show. At the end of the day, D&D are fans like us, but they have the added responsibility of trying to make good TV while adapting the source material we all love. It's not easy. The backlash for making changes to the story is to be expected. Remember LOTR? Remember Faramir's character in TTT? The fury of the fandom was terrible to behold at the time.

Oh man, I do remember that. People freaked OUT about Faramir. Oh, memories...

Archived