D and D appreciation thread . .

ServantOnIce

yeah, my jaw was in my lap during that sansa scene, but after a few seconds of processing it i absolutely loved it. especially now that a lot of unsullied think sansa is a mastermind and actually interesting. From what I've scene, a lot of them are completely rethinking how they thought about her for the last four seasons and realizing that she maybe wasn't as stupid as they all thought all along. Its nice to hear good things about my girl.

I was laughing so hard because it was like "ooh, shit, Littlefinger just got told!" It was great to see that finally.

yeah, my jaw was in my lap during that sansa scene, but after a few seconds of processing it i absolutely loved it. especially now that a lot of unsullied think sansa is a mastermind and actually interesting. From what I've scene, a lot of them are completely rethinking how they thought about her for the last four seasons and realizing that she maybe wasn't as stupid as they all thought all along. Its nice to hear good things about my girl.

Yeah man, that scene was one of my highlights of the show. Beautifully done in all aspects.

• 2 weeks later...

D&D are as much artists as GRRM! They are under a lot of pressure taking on such a popular piece of literature and sticking to the book bit by but would limit them creatively and make it very predictable for fans? If George was happy enough to give D&D the privilege of doing this so should everyone else.

I'll throw in here too....

The books are great... G2RM is a fantastic writer, and I love the world he created, and the pictures he paints with words

The show is great ... D&D have done an amazing job adapting the source material, and they've created my favorite TV show, ever.

... any criticism I may have ever had --regarding the book or show-- is voiced with this in mind, and ultimately, in the grand scheme of things... is petty, and self important.

• 1 month later...

Here’s something for all of you D&D haters who think that D&D are deliberately butchering the adaptation of ASOIAF:

Benioff:

“I think sometimes in an adaptation from a book, there are certain things you’re gonna lose and one of the problems is we don’t have access to the characters’ minds, so there’s an amazing back story for Tyrion which we learn about basically because we are inside Tyrion’s skull and we have pages and pages where we learn exactly what happened and it’s a really powerful moment of the story. Problem is the only way for us to do it in the show would be either through dialogue or through action. We’re not gonna have a flashback showing that scene – we haven’t had any flashbacks yet – and we didn’t wanna have voice over so unless we had a long scene with dialogue explaining what happened all those years ago, which just felt like it wasn’t gonna work, that fell by the wayside and there are all sorts of these cuts that are incredibly difficult for us, because oftentimes they are bits from the books that we love the most and for some reason it just doesn’t seem to work on screen when we’ve got 540 minutes to tell a whole season.

And just, you know, this kind of goes hand in hand with that call before for extra episodes: believe us, from a storytelling point of view, we would love to have thirteen episodes. That would be fantastic. The problem is we can’t. We actually finished post-production and we’ve already started up pre-production on the next season. There’s absolutely no downtime between the end of one season and the start of the next. There’s just no time for us to shoot more episodes and maintain the kind of quality in terms of production value, going to all those different countries and getting all those locations, having the visual effects guys creating those dragons, all that stuff, so…

I think that’s, you know, George said before, read the books, that’s one of the things that we always hope that people who haven’t read the books but watched the show then might be drawn to the books, which we think is true for a lot of people, and then they can learn a lot more about these characters than they ever would watching the show alone and get much more depth and time to spend with those characters and learn all about them, so, unfortunately, as hard as we try, we can’t possibly match the amount of detail and storytelling in a 1200 page book over the course of the season.

And I guess the last thing I would say is that when we first talked to George, when we first got the books, they were sent to us to adapt as feature films and the idea was that each book would be one feature, so if you can imagine that Game of Thrones as a two and a half hour movie – just think of everything that would have been mutilated and cut out of that story. And one of the reasons we really wanted to do this as a show, when luckily George agreed with us, was even though we couldn’t have everything, at least we could have ten hours for each of those books and in the case of Storm of Swords 20 hours and even then we’re amazed to find out how much of the detail we just can’t get in there.”

Weiss:

I think it was Jim Thompson*, the great crime novelist, who had a reporter ask him ‘How do you feel about what Hollywood has done to your books?’ and he pointed to his bookshelf and said ‘Hollywood hasn’t done anything to my books. They are right there’. And the books are always gonna be their own pristine world.“

(D&D during the 2014 Comic Con Game of Thrones panel)

* This quote has been attributed to many writers, but the earliest (and most likely) one was James M. Cain.

First I just wanted to add my compliments to D & D. The show is terrific, engaging, and they got so many things right! The books are wonderful, and I think the show is wonderful. They are two different things, but I am okay with that. If the show leaves something or someone out, I can just go re-read the book.

Is that why Almost Human got cancelled, yet Helix get a second season. Damn! Now I know! Thanks boojam. :lol:

HELIX is incomprehensibly bad :-)

I think it was Jim Thompson*, the great crime novelist, who had a reporter ask him ‘How do you feel about what Hollywood has done to your books?’ and he pointed to his bookshelf and said ‘Hollywood hasn’t done anything to my books. They are right there’. And the books are always gonna be their own pristine world.“

* This quote has been attributed to many writers, but the earliest (and most likely) one was James M. Cain.

I'm certainly not an appreciator, so my visit here will be short :P I just wanted to say that despite that I absolutely love this quote. :thumbsup:

Here’s something for all of you D&D haters who think that D&D are deliberately butchering the adaptation of ASOIAF:

Just finished watching the ComicCon GoT panel and I must say that D&D went up a couple of notches on my Respect Totem. (I especially loved how they sat the Hound smack dab between Arya and Brienne, but that's for another thread, I guess. :lol:)

They kept so calm and polite throughout. Kudos to them!

HELIX is incomprehensibly bad :-)

Too right! My mouth dropped when it was announced that they'd been given a second season. :cries:

• 9 months later...

Say what you will about the show and the exec producers, BUT D&D MADE THE BOOKS MAINSTREAM!!! This series is popular because D&D did such a good job translating GRRM's story to tv. I get how people who read the books before the show aired feel like their opinion and understanding of the books carry more validity than the opinion of show watchers that started reading the books after the show, but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong GRRM's story created the opportunity for D&D but HBO ALSO DOUBLED THE SELLS OF 4 BOOKS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD OTHERWISE. I just hate it when book purist get offended because the show deviates from the books. Let's be real, the show can't spent 30 minutes describing the the texture of the pork Jon Snow is eating, so they give the audience what they want, PLOT PROGRESSION!!!

I am grateful D&D got me into this series and introduced me to GRRM's work! As a result I have now bought and read all of his books. In fact, up until the show, I had never read a sci fi, fantasy, or non biography book, hell I had never seen LOTR or Star Wars. (And yes, I now know the only people who haven't seen Star Wars are the actors, and that's because they lived them Ted, they lived them!) Since watching the game of thrones I have read Wheel of Time, Joe Abercrombie's series, all the books based on Robin Hobbs Edlerlings realm (BTW FITZ IS RHE MAN!!) and the hobbit. All this from a guy that only played sports iN HS and would have NEVER considered watching a movie with magic in it.

In my opinion D&D has done great things for GRRM's books, and the fantasy genre overall, so I hate to see them getting bashed because they didn't live up to the standard established by the traditional fan. You guys should be happy they have brought so many people to the books and genre as a whole, not pissed because they didn't translate the books according to your "head cannon"!

Say what you will about the show and the exec producers, BUT D&D MADE THE BOOKS MAINSTREAM!!! This series is popular because D&D did such a good job translating GRRM's story to tv. I get how people who read the books before the show aired feel like their opinion and understanding of the books carry more validity than the opinion of show watchers that started reading the books after the show, but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong GRRM's story created the opportunity for D&D but HBO ALSO DOUBLED THE SELLS OF 4 BOOKS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD OTHERWISE. I just hate it when book purist get offended because the show deviates from the books. Let's be real, the show can't spent 30 minutes describing the the texture of the pork Jon Snow is eating, so they give the audience what they want, PLOT PROGRESSION!!!

I am grateful D&D got me into this series and introduced me to GRRM's work! As a result I have now bought and read all of his books. In fact, up until the show, I had never read a sci fi, fantasy, or non biography book, hell I had never seen LOTR or Star Wars. (And yes, I now know the only people who haven't seen Star Wars are the actors, and that's because they lived them Ted, they lived them!) Since watching the game of thrones I have read Wheel of Time, Joe Abercrombie's series, all the books based on Robin Hobbs Edlerlings realm (BTW FITZ IS RHE MAN!!) and the hobbit. All this from a guy that only played sports iN HS and would have NEVER considered watching a movie with magic in it.

In my opinion D&D has done great things for GRRM's books, and the fantasy genre overall, so I hate to see them getting bashed because they didn't live up to the standard established by the traditional fan. You guys should be happy they have brought so many people to the books and genre as a whole, not pissed because they didn't translate the books according to your "head cannon"!

This had to be said.

There may be some valid criticism and a lot going over the top but you have made fans aware of what they actually got.

Archived