help with some English please (2)

DirePenguin

more kill them off equally. If one of yours is killed for one of mine I'll still be left with many sons. He's not proposing that they actually fight to the death, just making a point about how many children he has.

row by row (or line by line). If you have a column of soldiers then rather than saying that they stood in rows you can say that they stood in ranks (or in this case marched in ranks).

Does marry has other meaning other than man-woman marrying?

It can also be used as a metaphor for binding things together. In this case, the North is 'married' into the Targaryens project of a united Seven Kingdoms.

Hi Everyone.

Finally I'll say I have completed the first book. :) And understand it the way I never did during my first read (alone). Thank you so much everyone. The amount of help I've received was . . . I don't know what word would be appropriate, but it was unbelievable :bowdown:

Before this thread, I've completed book 2 on my own too and still can't decide if I should skip ahead to book 3, or start another English help thread for book 2 :blushing:

I can't speak for the others but it's been my pleasure, DirePenguin, It's not often a native-speaker gets to think about their language from the outside. Your questions have been fun to answer and in answering I got to think about GRRM's writing style and taught myself a bit about English as well.

Whatever you choose to do next, you'll have at least one person writing back.

• 2 weeks later...

I found your first English thread while searching for something else, and I just read through both. Loved them. If you decide to do this again for another book, could you post here to let us know please? I'll try to help answer your questions too. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived