After Ice and Fire?

Kyle Baratheon

Hey guys. I'm just about to finish aFfC, and Dwd will probably take a week considering i'll be off for summer soon. I'm craving for fantasy series' after Ice and Fire and I need something to read during summer.

I got a sweet deal on eBay for the first 8 Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan (£15.99!) Opinion on this series?

I'm also looking into Malazan Book of the Fallen series aswell. Thoughts on that?

Thanks, much love.

Hey man, you should probably read the pinned threads, they would have answered your question. That said, I haven't read much of Jordan, I honestly thought he was a bit boring and cliche. I've only heard good things about the Malazan series, others will most likely recommend it to you.

First - threads like this cause people to scold you, because there are lots of recommendation threads already.

But - WoT is way slower moving than GoT, although I enjoy them, and the series is nearly done. The "Black Company" is much faster, with a more sparse prose, but has that same kinda epic and ancient back story feel GoT does.

Enjoy your summer....

Both series have people who really love them, who really hate them, and who fall somewhere in the middle. I have no idea where you'll fit in.

I got a sweet deal on eBay for the first 8 Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan (£15.99!) Opinion on this series?

I love these books, though much of that is due to them being the first real hook to get me into reading fantasy. They are a good, traditional sort of epic fantasy and one of the first true mega-series. They do bog down in the late-middle books as the number of plots and characters gets away from things. But I still enjoy those books a lot.

I'm also looking into Malazan Book of the Fallen series aswell. Thoughts on that?

These are really good - it's a great series. It also has its downsides with books that are too long and that get a bit preachy and philosophical (I love those bits, but a lot of people don't). It's a bit more of tough read though that can be quite complex and confusing.

Malazan over Wheel of Time if you're older than 16. If you love descriptions, I mean, just fucking looove hundreds of pages with fuck all going on, with the main character of the entire series getting just 40 pgs of face time out of 1000 pgs, with bitches, bitches, bitches, then I'll say read WoT. If you want epic fantasy on steroids; Malazan.

Okay, I exaggerate, WoT books 1 - 6 were great. After that and over a decade of my life later, not so much. Haven't touched them since I was estranged in book 9 or so, and have since looked back on our relationship with a betrayed eye.

Edit: A good transition from ASoIaF to Malazan would be Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

Malazan over Wheel of Time if you're older than 16. If you love descriptions, I mean, just fucking looove hundreds of pages with fuck all going on, with the main character of the entire series getting just 40 pgs of face time out of 1000 pgs, with bitches, bitches, bitches, then I'll say read WoT. If you want epic fantasy on steroids; Malazan.

Okay, I exaggerate, WoT books 1 - 6 were great. After that and over a decade of my life later, not so much. Haven't touched them since I was estranged in book 9 or so, and have since looked back on our relationship with a betrayed eye.

Edit: A good transition from ASoIaF to Malazan would be Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

Now that really sounds like you're talking about Malazan to me.

If by 'on steroids' you mean dense, small testicles, and poorly written then ya... yer right.

Kyle, considering your profile (from that other thread about Brienne), I'd say you should read both series, WoT first. You will probably enjoy the ride up to Midnight Tides for Malazan and up to Crossroads for WoT.

Read the Belgariad, also, it's great brain candy, good for summer vacations, and you're just young enough to love them. I know I did when I was your age, at least (seriously)

Fine, skip Malazan and try some Robert Newcomb, then Sara Douglass, and then straight to the shining beacon of the genre in a little epic masterpiece called The Sword of Truth.

I see that the 2nd Law of the forum is well in effect - any mention of Jordan or Erikson will bring those eargerly waiting to once again state how much they dislike the respective series. As I mentioned above, some people love them, others hate them and most fall somewhere in the middle - give them a shot and see what you prefer.

Don't worry about my age. I'm a week away from 17, yet since I started reading non-stop at the age of 12 I've been reading texts well beyond my level. I got through Crime and Punishment at 15 without dying! Thanks for the advice though, i think i'm gonna get the first Malazan and read them both back to back, and see which i prefer. I'm sure i'll end up reading all of both series' though. I hear Robin Hobb's fantasy series is very good also.

I hear Robin Hobb's fantasy series is very good also.
She has several and is indeed good, but if you didn't like Brienne in AFFC, I would strongly recommend against buying anything she wrote, you would most likely regret it.

Let’s get the the first law and talk First Law.
Which one? Wizards' or regular?

Though I understand Bayaz could actually punch melon-sized holes in Logen with the judicious use of a chorae, four inutteral sounds, and a machinegun.

Archived