Favorite/Least favorite major house of Westeros and why

StannisBamfatheon

Favourite - House Martell: They have the most interesting family dynamic without turning things incestuous. Doran is a decent father and a wise ruler, Oberyn complimented him well in that he was more likely to act aggressively but still with great cunning. Quentyn was a naive fool but a decent fellow and refused to give up on his duty, he went one on one with a dragon just for the sake of keeping his country intact.

Arianne and the Sand Snakes are of course the most interesting aspect though, strong and smart women are something to fear greatly.

Least Favourite - House Frey: They are made to be hated, if there was to be a set of main antagonists in this series it would absolutely be the Freys. Walder is a petty, conniving and childish old fool; he knows he'll be dead soon and he seems intent on causing as much damage as possible before he goes. None of his children or anyone else in the house for that matter seems to be taking any steps towards redeeming the reputation of the house either, obviously the Red Wedding showed that much but moreso the actions of all his potential heirs, seeking only to eliminate all competitors regardless of familial proximity. When he dies it'll be a bloodbath, and not one of them is fit to hold the title of 'Lord of the Crossing'.

Every aspect of them is meant to incite hatred in the reader against them; The Twins themselves are a symbol of the Freys inherently avaricious and petty nature, not to mention Martin describing the 'look' of a Frey to be akin to a weasel.

Favorite

Baratheon- The real shame of the series is that we never will get to see a scene with Robert and Stannis. The dynamic and differences between all 3 brothers is fantastic. I also enjoy Gendry and Mya Stone a fair amount as well.

HM: Martell. I'm apparently part of that percentage that doesn't hate the Dorne chapters in AFfC. I love Doran most of all.

Minor: Royce. Not so much a fan of Waymar, but for some reason I really enjoy Yohn and to a lesser extent Nestor.

Least Favorite

Targaryen- Words cannot fathom how much I despise them. I dont even find the history all that much to rave about. Most of them were insane, and I really really really dislike Dany.

HM: Greyjoy. They are a bunch of rapists and plunderers, who think way too highly of themselves. Yes, the Lannisters are a prideful house as well, but they've actually accomplished things.

Minor- Frey, I guess. I don't hate the Frey's to the extent some do. If I hate them for any reason other than the RW its because none of their members are particularly interesting.

Favorites:

Starks- honorable, good liege Lords, loved far and wide in their territory, quiet and humble, First Men, wargs, private, well-educated

Baratheon- interesting, strong-willed, courageous, strongly emotional, unboring, focused, stubborn, admirable

Minor Houses: Manderly, Reed

Least favorites:

Targaryen- elitist, unstable, incestuous polygamists. Without dragons, they are a family on the Jerry Springer show.

Lannister- Conceited, deceitful, liars, employ thugs and evil men, heartless. ( except for Tyrion)

Greyjoy- We Do Not Sow. Well isn't that nice.. Then You Do Not Eat. They are the Essos in Westeros. Slavers, thieves and low-lifes ( except Asha and The Reader!)

Minors: Bolton, Baelish

I'm surprised nobody listed the Arryns in their least liked Houses. They're so boring...

I like the Greyjoys, mostly because of Theon and Asha, but also because they're different from the other big houses. They don't play the Game like the others (they don't even seem to care about it), they just do whatever they want to. I like that.

Favorite Houses: Stark- b/c the children are so cute together, esp. that flashback where Robb and Jon try to scare the rest of the kids and Arya just punches the "ghost" Jon. The other Houses' family dynamic seemed so dysfunctional in comparison. Lannister- b/c of Tyrion and Jaime. They genuinely love each other, despite having Cersei for a sister and Tywin for a dad. I also like Genna Lannister-Frey (but not the Frey part)

Most Hated: Bolton and Frey, for obvious reasons. I admire Lord Manderly for not slitting those Freys' throats right then and there when they blamed the RW on Robb!

Faves.....Starks.

Least Faves......Arryns. Nothing against Jon nor Sweetrobbin personally, it is just that they are so....M.I.A and tame, if that makes sense? They have a ridiculously amazing history, with an impressive ancestor, but now they just seem so bleak. Kind of a bummer too.

Another least fave is definitely the Greyjoys. I like Asha, but can't stand the others all that much. Cocky arrogant rapey jerks.

Favorite: Tyrell

I guess I'm in a great minority here, and I can understand people despising their vanity, but I think beyond Mace, the family has a lot of promise. They know how the game is played every bit as well as the Lannisters, but reject the kind of homicidal realism that Tywin and Cerci espouse. Margery is beautiful, smart, and generally interested in expanding her power by gaining the respect and love of the people. Sure, Mace is a moron, but I have to ask, is it worse to be a powerful idiot or a powerful nepotistic jerk like Tywin Lannister? I think Wilas by all accounts appears to be a fairly adept ruler, and would probably make a promising King. By all accounts, the are the second wealthiest house, the second most powerful, and a good deal less dangerous to the realm than the Lannisters

(I plan to expand this later, i'm just a bit tired)

Favorite: Stark. I like the honor they stand for and how they seem to actually care about their smallfolk. They are what nobles should be.

Least: Freys. Traitorous scum.

Tyrell. They stand for nothing, they change sides at the drop of a hat. They will do anything to advance themselvs.

Least Favorites:

Baratheon - Idiots. Good for nothing, full of themselves idiots. And they also lack respect for family. Renly and Stannis... please... and Robert... yeah he is a good warrior and funny to read about, but for goodness' sake, what sort of a person is he? Like a sulking 16 year old, his whole life.

Blasphemy!

Favorite: Martells! and I guess Starks too (not the TV-show Starks though :P)

I guess Quentyn's ADWD arc made me like them a bit less, though I loved every bit of Dorne/Martell that was in ASOS & AFFC. Gotta love the mind + brute power Doran & Oberyn had.

Least Favourite: hmm, not sure.. everyone in the Iron Islands minus Asha? (that doesn't count does it haha). I mean sure I hate the Frey's but its not like they were completely unjustified in doing what they did.

Favorite: Targaryen! If not for the incest there would be nothing to dislike about them and some of them remind me of myself.

Least favourite: Baratheon! The war of the usurper alone is enough to despise them and the existence of Stannis isn't improveing my opinion for them either.

Favorite, Targaryen.

I know that Dany is not universally popular, I quite like her but I can appreciate why others don't. But I cant ignore some of the other great characters to have belonged to this house. Aegon the conqueror, Daeron the 1st (The young Dragon). Aemon the Dragon Knight, The great bastards (Technically and I know there are many of you that love Bloodraven or Daemon) Egg, Rhaegar.

Least Favorite, Frey.

I'm not alone I know, but its not because of the treachery. By that definition the Tyrells are also power grabbing weasels and when your liege lord decides to fight the crown (who you have also sworn fealty too) you have some major polarizing decisions to make, and you probably will not please a lot of people.

Its the lack of any likable characters among them. It says a lot that they are the most numerous house due to lord Walder's seemingly insatiable appetite for breeding, and yet they are completely devoid of a likeable character at all.

I would have mentioned the Boltons but at least they entertain me, albeit in a depraved prolonged torturous kind of way.

Favorite: Targaryen! If not for the incest there would be nothing to dislike about them and some of them remind me of myself.

Least favourite: Baratheon! The war of the usurper alone is enough to despise them and the existence of Stannis isn't improveing my opinion for them.

Reeeeaaaaallllyyyyy? Listen I like a lot of the Targaryens, The Dragonknight is probably my favorite character pre-Game of Thrones, but there's more to be wary of about the Targs then their incestual traditions. They have a capacity for great cruelty and even madness. And I'm sorry but the war of the usurper Robert's Rebellion was totally justified. Aerys was a psychopath who had burned two major lords to death, one who was warden of the North, and was also raping his wife(who was also his sister, family first!) The realm was right in overthrowing him. Now when Dany comes back she's proven to be a compassionate ruler and she may win Westeros back and that's fine. But at the time overthrowing the Targaryen line due to the madness and malice of Aerys(hey remember how he was gonna kill like 500,000 people by burning down king's landing?) was totally the right call.

the second most powerful, and a good deal less dangerous to the realm than the Lannisters

if Tyrells with the thousands and thousands of troops, the majority of the small council and the queen of the 7k are the second most powerful, who is the first?

Lannisters?

My favorite major: Martells, because i love Dorne and the RedVIper, and doran is quite awesome while Arriane is a smart girl with really hot scenes and thoughts.

I belive Doran is hiding his major plan still and that he lied when he told Arriane that they are the weakest Knigdom (off course IronIslands is the weaker). Their castle seems pretty awesome in my mind, same with the watergardens

My favorite minor: Connigtons JonCon for the throne! (i still dont like bratty YG)

My hated major: Tyrells they are so overpowerd, i really want them to suffer a massive deafet from the Ironborn in the sea and a Dornish-JonCon host in the ground.

plus i think Margeary is not that smart, she was just trying to befriend her baby husband by playing with him. She just seems a plotty mastermind in Cersei's crazy thoughts. The same woman thought that Pycelle was now less wise because of the lacjk of his beard!

My hated minor: the freys............... :devil: (they dont deserve to be bold like the other houses)

HM: greyjoys, Tullys and Baratheons are other major Houses that i like.

Arryns suck and Starks are stupid. I don like the Lannisters but i like Tyrion, Jaime, Tywin and Kevan :dunno:

Reeeeaaaaallllyyyyy? Listen I like a lot of the Targaryens, The Dragonknight is probably my favorite character pre-Game of Thrones, but there's more to be wary of about the Targs then their incestual traditions. They have a capacity for great cruelty and even madness. And I'm sorry but the war of the usurper Robert's Rebellion was totally justified. Aerys was a psychopath who had burned two major lords to death, one who was warden of the North, and was also raping his wife(who was also his sister, family first!) The realm was right in overthrowing him. Now when Dany comes back she's proven to be a compassionate ruler and she may win Westeros back and that's fine. But at the time overthrowing the Targaryen line due to the madness and malice of Aerys(hey remember how he was gonna kill like 500,000 people by burning down king's landing?) was totally the right call.

Well the madness is sort of related to the incest and cruelty isn't more common in the Targaryens than in any other family.As for Aerys yes he was insane, not a good person and in the end not capable of being king but that doesn't make Robert less of a usurper or more simpathetic to me.Anyway I simpathise with the rest of the family not with Aerys, he had only himself to blame for what happened to him.

Archived