Whispers Underground aka the Peter Grant thread

Darth Visenya

• 2 months later...

An excerpt of my review of Whispers Underground:

First - ignore the description on the back cover of the book. It's one of the worst I've ever read – it does not in any way reflect actual events and feelings in the book. Yes, there is an American FBI agent and yes she seems to be a conservative Christian. However, that is a tiny tangent and not really much of an issue at all - in fact, she's rather likeable and I wish the synopsis had not made me predisposed to disliking her. It's really unfortunate that the publishers did such a disservice to the book with this synopsis.

In Whispers Underground Peter is called to investigate the murder of an American art student and the son of a US Senator. The murder takes place in a subway tunnel, which of course leads Peter deep into the Underground, often guided by a particularly untrustworthy informant. The murder plot itself is not terribly interesting and the eventual solution is a bit unconvincing. However, the strength of Aaronovitch's writing is more in the police procedure and the interlacing of the supernatural with the reality we all think we know as told from the point of view of a well-created and out-right interesting main character. In many ways the murder simply doesn't matter as the main investigation and a few tangents further real the reality of Aaronovitch's London.

Whispers Underground continues in the direction that Aaronovitch has set for the series – it may be focused around a single investigation, but further groundwork is laid for growth of the Folly (the team of 'supernatural' investigators), for future confrontation with a particularly nasty bad guy, growth of Peter and Leslie's (potential?) relationship, and more hints of the wider world of magic.

Full Review

First - ignore the description on the back cover of the book. It's one of the worst I've ever read – it does not in any way reflect actual events and feelings in the book. Yes, there is an American FBI agent and yes she seems to be a conservative Christian. However, that is a tiny tangent and not really much of an issue at all - in fact, she's rather likeable and I wish the synopsis had not made me predisposed to disliking her. It's really unfortunate that the publishers did such a disservice to the book with this synopsis.

I'd forgotten about that, but I agree the blurb was misleading. When I first read the blurb I thought it implied that she would be antagonistic to Peter's magic because of her religious beliefs, but in the book itself the only real culture clash is between their different methods of policing they otherwise get on reasonably well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the subsequent books' U.S. editions have been altered or edited like the first one was? I went out of my way (and off of my preferred reading device) to get the Brit ebook of Rivers of London, but it would be so much easier to just Nook or Kindle the rest.

(I know I could just buy the physical book, but my life involves a lot of travel right now and my spine is not that strong.)

Does anyone know if the subsequent books' U.S. editions have been altered or edited like the first one was? I went out of my way (and off of my preferred reading device) to get the Brit ebook of Rivers of London, but it would be so much easier to just Nook or Kindle the rest.

(I know I could just buy the physical book, but my life involves a lot of travel right now and my spine is not that strong.)

I think - though I could be wrong - the only changes to the first book were the title and the ridiculous cover art. So far, the rest of the books have kept the same title and the third even kept the UK cover art.

I think - though I could be wrong - the only changes to the first book were the title and the ridiculous cover art. So far, the rest of the books have kept the same title and the third even kept the UK cover art.

There were other changes in the language - football to soccer for example

I don't recall having issues in the subsequent books like I did in the first, but I do tend to treat these books rather like candy, just enjoying them.

According to Locus Forthcoming Books, Broken Homes will be published by DAW in February 2014.

Interesting...it would seem that Del Rey dropped the series. I may have to look more into it.

But, on a personal and selfish note, that sucks. Daw is not very friendly to bloggers, where I've always had a good relationship with Del Rey. I may not get this one early.

• 3 weeks later...

I find this news extremely pleasing. If the production qualities are similar to that of Ripper Street and Luther, with eight episodes per book... it will be amazing.

Yes please :D.

Also I've seen the next book is out oh the 25th of July, so I will be looking forward to that.

• 1 month later...

I suppose this is the general Peter Grant series thread?

I finished Broken Homes the other day and it was another pretty entertaining read although it did feel kind of like it was rushing up to the end though. Having said that though the end was pretty dramatic I certainly didn't see

Lesley going over to the dark side coming although in retrospect there were obviously some hints

My copy arrived this morning. The covers are just attractive enough that I buy them in solid form. Really looking forward to starting it, but must get through at least one of the seven I am currently reading first. Eight on the go seems a little excessive

Archived