Anyone read the Star Wars novels?

urrutiap

They banned people who had simply posted reviews critical of her works.YodaKenobi's huge,hilarious reviewof her Revelations went down because it was apparently offensive for criticizing her writing skills. All to protect the celebrities. Honestly though I put that as much on TFN going crazy with their new VIP policy.

Really? That's bad, I never saw anything about her being raped.

That said, that doesn't really affect a lot of the criticism. No one here has ever called for her being raped. If they did they'd be banned We don't know the people that did but I doubt that they were the majority. We cannot control their actions so bringing them up in this context...does nothing. It could have been anyone. Sure, it must truly suck to be on the receiving end of that but it isn't a reflection of people bringing it up here.

I was unaware of all the review deleting/banning that went on. That is definitely, as they say a DickMove.

The threat stuff got, really, really nasty at one point, but you are correct, it was one or two people. I'm projecting from other forums on this but whenever I see people even remotely suggest it's justified I tend to go off.

The other thing that gets me is the whole idea that Lucas retconned Clone Wars specifically to get her fired/make her quit. As far as I know Lucas had absolutely zero to do with that part of the Clone Wars story, and come on, if Lucas wanted to get rid of someone, he would just fire their ass. That whole storyline was someone else's creation. (I forget who exactly, one of the main writers on the show). Quaitity of said show is another matter I uh, do not always agree on. But that's another thread,

Also, cynical me talking, but if you think people on this board wouldn't call for someone to be raped, you don't visit the other areas of the forum much.

Certainly Bobba Fett wasn't unusually popular until she came along.

This is certainly not true. Star Wars fans have been drooling over Fett since 1980, and it's rather telling that the Expanded Universe was barely off the drawing board before someone made Fett's survival of the sarlaac canon. Fett's popularity was such he was added into the Episode IV Special Edition for absolutely no discernible reason in 1997. Fett also played a notable (if not as huge) role in the books long before Traviss came along: Traviss's first book was published thirteen years after Zahn resurrected the franchise and after Fett's fate was retconned in the Dark Empire comic books.

Also, cynical me talking, but if you think people on this board wouldn't call for someone to be raped, you don't visit the other areas of the forum much.

If that happened, that person would be immediately suspended, if not perma-banned on the spot. If that has happened and the person got away with it, it's probably because it was not reported.

You can't judge the people on Other Lit by the madness that goes on on the book boards, to be fair. They're basically two different communities, there's a reason why few of us down here venture North of the Miscellaneous very often.

I just got finished with the last in Fate of the Jedi. Really left a bad taste in the mouth. The charecter of Ben Skywalker has serious potential but why are they still focusing on Leia, Han and Luke? plus I hear the next book to be released in July is going to focus on the old gang. I'm sorry are they going to chase after the forces of evil in Wheelchairs?

I just got finished with the last in Fate of the Jedi. Really left a bad taste in the mouth. The charecter of Ben Skywalker has serious potential but why are they still focusing on Leia, Han and Luke? plus I hear the next book to be released in July is going to focus on the old gang. I'm sorry are they going to chase after the forces of evil in Wheelchairs?

How old are they all now, 65-70? I know it's different in Star Wars because it's a more advanced society with better medical technology, but they're still getting old.

I don't know why they keep focusing on them, except maybe to draw new fans to jump into the series. Many of the EU-only characters have plenty of fans, so why can't they just make novels focusing entirely on them?

How old are they all now, 65-70? I know it's different in Star Wars because it's a more advanced society with better medical technology, but they're still getting old.

I don't know why they keep focusing on them, except maybe to draw new fans to jump into the series. Many of the EU-only characters have plenty of fans, so why can't they just make novels focusing entirely on them?

Because the EU is really deep by this point.The Big Three are the easiest for new fans from the movies to latch on. EU fans are already EU fans. You have their money already.

I had thought that with the premise of FotJ they were trying to phase Luke out but he played a huge role. Maybe this is a step in that direction, I don't know I haven't read any of the recent books.

This is certainly not true. Star Wars fans have been drooling over Fett since 1980, and it's rather telling that the Expanded Universe was barely off the drawing board before someone made Fett's survival of the sarlaac canon. Fett's popularity was such he was added into the Episode IV Special Edition for absolutely no discernible reason in 1997. Fett also played a notable (if not as huge) role in the books long before Traviss came along: Traviss's first book was published thirteen years after Zahn resurrected the franchise and after Fett's fate was retconned in the Dark Empire comic books.

Ha yes, I know. I was being sarcastic but sometimes I actually forget that that doesn't come through on the Internet.

Because the EU is really deep by this point.The Big Three are the easiest for new fans from the movies to latch on. EU fans are already EU fans. You have their money already.

I had thought that with the premise of FotJ they were trying to phase Luke out but he played a huge role. Maybe this is a step in that direction, I don't know I haven't read any of the recent books.

That sounds almost like it would make integration worse, not better. "Hey, it's Luke . . . wait, why does he have a son?"

That sounds almost like it would make integration worse, not better. "Hey, it's Luke . . . wait, why does he have a son?"

Except you can say:"Hey, that's Luke!" It might even be kinda cool that his life had moved on. Without them you go:"Hey! That's a Muun I don't know. And some weird Lizard lady! And a Hutt I've never seen before! Daala? Who's Daala? Oh...there's Luke's grandson!Who I know nothing about and have no emotional attachment to...oh.".

Besides, you can't run in place forever,you'd piss off writers and EU fans.

Many of the EU-only characters have plenty of fans, so why can't they just make novels focusing entirely on them?

It'd be interesting to see what the sales are like of the novels not focusing on the movie characters are like. The X-Wing books sold well for many years and Luke and Leia had only a couple of cameos and that was it. The highest-profile movie character to appear regularly was Wedge, and he is fairly obscure to the more casual movie audience. There was also the Star Wars: Legacy era, which was supposed to take the whole EU more than 100 years further into the future, when the movie Skywalkers and Solos and even their kids are dead and move on with all-new characters. The Legacy comics were quite popular, as I understand it, but the setting as a whole never took off and there weren't any novels in the sub-setting.

It'd be interesting to see what the sales are like of the novels not focusing on the movie characters are like. The X-Wing books sold well for many years and Luke and Leia had only a couple of cameos and that was it. The highest-profile movie character to appear regularly was Wedge, and he is fairly obscure to the more casual movie audience. There was also the Star Wars: Legacy era, which was supposed to take the whole EU more than 100 years further into the future, when the movie Skywalkers and Solos and even their kids are dead and move on with all-new characters. The Legacy comics were quite popular, as I understand it, but the setting as a whole never took off and there weren't any novels in the sub-setting.

I loved the X-Wing series when I was younger, but then again I loved the Tie-Fighter and X-Wing games and the books were like a nice expansion I could play anywhere.

If anyone is interested, I quite a few EU books I'd love to give to a good home.

I'm actually a fan of what I've read of the EU.

Admittedly, that isn't a ton.

I've read-

Deathtroopers (fun read, but not if you like your reading to have substance. Also, lame cameo towards the end.)

Attack of the Clones (kind of blah)

The Cestus Deception (actually don't think I finished it)

Labrinth of Evil (pretty damn good if I recall correctly)

Revenge of the Sith (not afraid to list this in my favorite books list.)

The Rise of Darth Vader (don't really remember much of it at all)

Fatal Alliance (An Old Republic book that I actually quite liked)

Revan (which I also thought was pretty good.)

I also remember reading a couple of books about young Boba Fett. And a series about Obi-Wan and Anakin between episodes 1 and 2.

I am now, after reading through this thread, dying to read Shatterpoint. I had no idea that Stover had wrote another SW book.

Archived