Finished AFFC, Don't Understand the Hate...

Mormont'sRaven

To be honest, I have to agree, I actually enjoyed Sansa's chapters in this book. Which is saying something because I didn't like them at all in the beginning of the series, then I thought they were just okay. Sam's chapters, I felt, were boring, as were the Ironmen. I'm not a fan of them, so maybe that's why. I feel like I've spent way too much time on ships too. I'm done sailing, can we give it a rest for a bit GRRM, pleeeease? (that's a joke... kind of) We'll see what happens though. I REALLY liked Sansa's last chapter in AFfC....

Whenever characters talk about being seasick and throwing up, I feel sick myself. :ack:

In a world with abject slavery, it would be a fundamental moral responsibility of everyone (especially those with power) to fight against it tooth and nail. To me, Dany deciding to abandon her quest for the Iron Throne in order to establish freedom as a basic human right is among the noblest things any character in any of the books has done.

Of course, this being ASoIaF, her good intentions don't automatically make everything turn out all right. Nor is her behavior totally blameless....

Don't get me wrong, Dany's feelings against slavery are very important - GRRM did a wonderful job of establishing Dany's motivations and hatred of slavery in the conversation she had with Arstan Whitebeard about how she was sold to Drogo and how her life could have been much worse had he been a different sort of man. But that's my point, the reader has already learned why she despises slavery so much, so having her spend and entire book going from city to city fighting against slavery is just too repetitive. Her chapters have become very formulaic...Dany comes to a new city/wants to free the slaves/her council tells her not to but she comes up with a plan anyway/she frees the slaves and then worries about how she will take care of her ever growing group of followers. Even the cities are described as being almost identical to each other.

all i could think of while i was reading Cersei's chapters was: "how stupid can a fucking person be to do that?". really, her being a POV character shows us how imbecile she really is when it comes to strategy. and, i don't know if that was just me, but the sparrows and the warriors of the faith are kind of reminding me of the Catholic Church history of violence. has anyone else had that feeling?

I am thrilled I finished this book. I remember getting all the four books a year ago, and I was obsessed with the fourth book. That was the only book that included chapters titled - The Princess in the Tower, The Queenmaker etc. I thought the fourth book is a blast! Unfortunately it didn't turn out as a thought it will.

Cersei's chapters could've been spiced up a little bit, in my opinion. I could think of millions of scenes between Cersei and Margery, and schemes between them, but the whole Cersei storyline revolved around - accusing Margery! At least everything led up to it. I was strangely mesmerized by the whole Qyburn thing. He is using body parts to do something, isn't he?

The Martells were great. Its a pity the whole Myrcella plot lasted a chapter or two, I wanted to see more... The Greyjoys were boring... Sam's chapters were also a drag. But interestingly I found Brienne's chapters amusing. They were good! Classic adventure... A knight, a dog, an old man, a little boy and a sarcastic companion. So please without spoiling it to me, just tell me does Brienne survives? Or we still don't know about it? I know she isn't a POV in DwD, but still! Its sad for Cat to have killed her. Lady Stoneheart that is.

I like Jamie's development. Its strange how childish he was before. When I read his chapters he sounds like a teenager. A small boy. He sounds lost and scared of the world. Which is GREAT! He is reborn, he is a new person. Although the Jamie we know could never fall for Brienne. He respects her now, that's true, but she is not attractive for him, and never will be.

Sansa, oh, Sansa. In a very strange way, her chapters are always very good. I love them. Pity they were three.

To sum up - I enjoyed the book, and I am starting the fifth one in an hour. I just can't wait to see what's up with Tyrion! Please tell me its good!

Without spilling much, Tyrion is on a road trip and pissed at the world.

Hahaha!

This kind of has to do with ADwD so if you haven't gotten there, I wouldn't read it just in case...

I wouldn't say he's pissed at the world... he's definitely unhappy with his family after all of the news he received about Tysha. However, his storyline has been incredibly interesting for me so far in what I've read! (And I'm not really thaaaaat far... only 180ish pages in)

Archived