Who Lives, Who Dies? (Possible Spoilers)

Who do you think will live and who do you think will die in 'Winds of Winter'?

My bets are:

Lives:

- Jon Snow

- Arya Stark

- Tyrion Lannister

- Theon Greyjoy

Dies:

- Sansa Stark (potentially)

- Euron Greyjoy

- Aegon Targaryen (I just don't see him making it, I also don't find him a very sympathetic character)

- Jaime Lannister (becoming more and more superfluous)

Thoughts?

Well, Daenerys and Jon surely won't die (anymore). Arya, Bran, Sansa, and Rickon will make it, since "the wolves will return."

Hopefully Victarion dies. I still want to know what Euron knows, and Aeron might become interesting if he leaves the Iron Islands and goes north or something. Asha will live. Don't know about Theon.

Lives:

Jon

Arya

Bran

Rickon

Sansa

Samwell

Melisandre

Aeron

Davos

Tyrion

Daenerys

Brienne

Arianne

Jaime

Old Nan

Hodor

Meera

Margaery

Petyr

Varys

Loras

Jorah

Jaqen as Pate and other people

Gilly

Jeyne Poole

Jeyne Stark

Brynden Tully

Dies:

Victarion (wishful thinking)

Daario (wishful thinking)

Jon Connington (wishful thinking)

Aegon (wishful thinking)

Sandor

Gregor monster

Cersei

Bronn

Theon

Barristan

Jojen

old greenseer

I think Bronn's going to live throughout the series, and become a powerful lord in the King's Landing area. He's already Lord Stokeworth, and he's got a claim on House Rosby as well (or rather, Lollys does).

This is a little out there, but recently I've been thinking that Littlefinger is going to die in book six. GRRM has been priming the Stark children to get into places where they can start really shaking things up in the major story. Presumably we haven't been following Arya and Sansa just because they're going to do one important thing at the very end of A Dream of Spring. Bran is seemingly already there, with his ability to influence events through the ravens and thus coordinate the activities people as disparate as Jon and Theon when he needs to. Arya has already killed somebody for the God of Many Faces, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for her to get sent out on a contract or something. That only leaves Sansa, and what's stopping Sansa from becoming a major player is Littlefinger. So he needs to go.

And everything about Sansa killing Littlefinger has already been set up: marriage to Harry the Heir would give her a position in her own right, without reliance on LF being Lord Protector (provided, of course, that she can get Harry under her thumb); the impending death of Robert Arryn by sweetsleep could easily be the motivation for her to do so--as a step too far--even assuming that she never discovers Littlefinger's role in her father's death; and she still has the hairnet with the strangler in it, giving her the means to do so. And that would leave "Alayne Arryn" as the power in the Vale, ready to commit their troops to whichever side she wishes.

I could also see Jaime and Cersei dying in the sixth book, in each other's arms as predicted many times. But perhaps GRRM means to continue their story into book seven. I do think that Aegon will be ruling the south by and large by the end of book six, which presumably means bad things for Tommen, Myrcella, and various Tyrells. I suspect too that Doran is going to die, so that Arianne can take over and Dorne will stop being so cautious.

As I've said in other threads, I'd literally bet money that all of the Stark children (including Jon), plus Tyrion and Dany, will make it to the last book. They're just too interconnected with the larger plot for anything else to happen. I'd be surprised -- but not shocked -- if Jaime and Cersei died in the sixth book. I could definitely see Littlefinger biting it, likely somehow because of Sansa. Aegon will either die at the end of the sixth book, or the beginning of the seventh (and I absolutely believe Dany will be the one to do it). I'd be surprised if Stannis, Ramsay, and Roose and made it to the final installment.

I thought there was an interesting line in the show that I do not remember from the book. Can someone confirm if it was in the book or not? Varys is talking to Ros about LF (obviously he does not talk to Ros in the books, but maybe he said this to someone else?), and he says something like "he doesn't hide his weakness as well as he believes." It's left unsaid what that is, but I suspect it's a reference to Sansa. Makes me wonder what Dave and Dan know.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting too, and there's something to it. Littlefinger would see through Sansa, if she was somebody else; but because he's so wrapped in his father/lover Chinatown fantasy, he won't see her resentment build until it's much too late.

I could also see Jaime and Cersei dying in the sixth book, in each other's arms as predicted many times. But perhaps GRRM means to continue their story into book seven.

I'd go with your original inclination on this. There was nothing in the prophecies at the House of the Undying about Daenerys taking on Lannisters or even Tyrells. She seems on a pathway where Aegon, Stannis, and that smoke monster are her primary foes and I can't see what purpose it would serve to have the Jaime and Cersei storyline (which is rather self-contained) continue on until the seventh book.

I don't know if Cersei's story is self-contained, but it does seem to be moving toward its final act, with Cersei taking her insanity back to Casterly Rock--depriving the Tyrells of Lannister support at a crucial moment--and Jaime killing her to put a stop to her rampaging out of control. Like with Littlefinger and Sansa, it seems as if a lot of the pipe has already been laid here.

Perhaps I'm being rather cut and dry about this issue but my assumption is that the final book in the series will largely concern combating the Others. And, last we've heard, the author still thinks it plausible that the seventh book will be that book. In light of that, it would seem to me that storylines that have nothing to do with that theme will be resolved one way or another in the coming book.

This makes me think that the most likely characters to die or to have their stories concluded are the following: Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Aeron, Areo, Littlefinger, Catelyn, Euron, and Victarion. I can also imagine Jon Connington dying and Arianne Martell taking over POV duties for Aegon's story. Barristan might also simply disappear as a POV or die (since he was a last minute addition in the first place).

That leaves Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Asha, Davos, Arianne, Sam, and Melisandre as POVs going forward. That's 12 POVs left over, which seems about right to me.

Dies (kills):

Stannis (Brienne ftw!)

Victarion (Dany/Drogon)

Cersei (Jaime)

Jaime (Jaime)

Littlefinger (Sansa)

Melisandre (Catelyn)

Roose (Mance)

Ramsay (Theon)

Theon (Ramsay)

Walder Frey (Catelyn)

All the other Freys (Catelyn/Umbers/Nymeria's wolf pack)

I think Bronn's going to live throughout the series, and become a powerful lord in the King's Landing area. He's already Lord Stokeworth, and he's got a claim on House Rosby as well (or rather, Lollys does).

This is a little out there, but recently I've been thinking that Littlefinger is going to die in book six. GRRM has been priming the Stark children to get into places where they can start really shaking things up in the major story. Presumably we haven't been following Arya and Sansa just because they're going to do one important thing at the very end of A Dream of Spring. Bran is seemingly already there, with his ability to influence events through the ravens and thus coordinate the activities people as disparate as Jon and Theon when he needs to. Arya has already killed somebody for the God of Many Faces, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for her to get sent out on a contract or something. That only leaves Sansa, and what's stopping Sansa from becoming a major player is Littlefinger. So he needs to go.

And everything about Sansa killing Littlefinger has already been set up: marriage to Harry the Heir would give her a position in her own right, without reliance on LF being Lord Protector (provided, of course, that she can get Harry under her thumb); the impending death of Robert Arryn by sweetsleep could easily be the motivation for her to do so--as a step too far--even assuming that she never discovers Littlefinger's role in her father's death; and she still has the hairnet with the strangler in it, giving her the means to do so. And that would leave "Alayne Arryn" as the power in the Vale, ready to commit their troops to whichever side she wishes.

I could also see Jaime and Cersei dying in the sixth book, in each other's arms as predicted many times. But perhaps GRRM means to continue their story into book seven. I do think that Aegon will be ruling the south by and large by the end of book six, which presumably means bad things for Tommen, Myrcella, and various Tyrells. I suspect too that Doran is going to die, so that Arianne can take over and Dorne will stop being so cautious.

I agree with pretty much all you have said except I think that LF is Sansa's training. Bran is becoming a greenseer thanks to BR, Arya an assassin with the Faceless Men, and Sansa is learning political intrigue from one of the masters.

Pretty much anyone could die. I think Sansa is safe. Probably. Arya might go full-out No-one, never going back to being Arya Stark, but I doubt that, and I'm still not counting that as death, so I think she's safe too. Other than those two... anyone could die, though probably not everyone.

On the flip-side, pretty much anyone could live. I think Ramsay is doomed, Connington is already dying, and Un-Cat&Gregor will probably die finally, but other than that... Cersei, Roose, Theon, Euron, Littlefinger; they're more likely to die than not, but they could all easily live. Brienne, Aegon and Melisandre don't even seem likely deaths to me.

I think Tyrion's going to die quite suddenly. It'd be unfair to not have him get grey plague, though he could live.

My list.

Live:

Bran

Rickon

Arya

Alayne

Robert

Davos

Wyman

Theon

Mance

Stannis

Shireen

Jon

Nymeria

Summer

Ghost

Shaggydog

Meera

Jojen

Wylla

Myrcella

Tommen

Tyrion

Die

Ramsay

Roose

Walder & his kin

Lady Stoneheart & Gregor Clegane for the second time

Gendry while protecting Cat of the Canals or whatever she calls herself now

Petyr Baelish

Harold Hardyng

Daenerys Targaryen

Victarion Greyjoy

Euron Greyjoy

Patchface, while protecting Shireen from some or other Other.

Cersei & Jaime (both killed by Tyrion)

Margaery

Trystane

Die

Ramsay

Roose

Walder & his kin

Not sure who ends up gutting the Twins and killing Lord Walder, but I want it to be the most epically badass scene ever. Like the Shrike wielding Callandor and being backed up by a small army of Fremen that have been smoking PCP. Or at least the damage equivalent. You get the idea.

I can imagine Jaime being forced by the BWB to deal with the Freys. Jaime could be sent to the Twins to check up on whether the prisoners have been sent to King's Landing and manages to free the Greatjon and Marq Piper. It could be Weasel Soup all over again! In more than one way!

I've been saying for months that Robert Arryn will somehow be the downfall of Littlefinger. Either due to the fact that LF never really considers him a threat in any light (which he shouldn't and it might somehow come back to bite him in the ass), or his treatment of Robert will be what pushes Sansa to do the deed.

Archived