Twists that got you again on a re-read

Seasick Drake

I have only just started a re-read from the beginning so I imagine there's going to be a lot I missed first time around.

I remember being shocked by Jorah's betrayal of Dany later on in the series yet, in the first few chapter of GoT he is mentionned by Robert as someone who is feeding info to Varys. Completely missed it on the first read.

Exactly! I'm in the middle of AGOT re-read and this is what totally struck me. I missed it on my first read, too.

I was surprised, again, that it was Sansa who told the queen about Neds plan to leave Kings Landing.

i didn't pick up on this my first time through. i'm in the middle of ACOK right now, but when i read that in AGOT my 2nd time through i was furious. it made me hate Sansa so much more.

As to the Reek comments, i just read that part again and it is still confusing haha.

I definitely think that the Red wedding was seen in the house of the undying, and i think her vision of Rhaegar talking about how he needed another child makes the R+L=J argument stronger.

another that I just thought about, Renly asks Catelyn if Barristan Selmy had joined Robb, saying that he vowed to join the true king. He then anticipated facing Selmy if he rode with stannis, but we see him show up books later with Dany, which i thought was pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Something else that I picked up on this read through - Stannis tells Davos that Melisandre had a vision of his army being defeated at Kings Landing by "Renly in his green armour". This ends up happening anyway, although Loras is in the armour instead of Renly.

Something else that I picked up on this read through - Stannis tells Davos that Melisandre had a vision of his army being defeated at Kings Landing by "Renly in his green armour". This ends up happening anyway, although Loras is in the armour instead of Renly.

It's actually Loras' brother Garlan!

I just finished my first read! There are many things I could only fully understand thanks to the wiki of ice and fire. Others I don't get at all, like Rhaenys' cat.

It's actually Loras' brother Garlan!

I just finished my first read! There are many things I could only fully understand thanks to the wiki of ice and fire. Others I don't get at all, like Rhaenys' cat.

Cheers, I couldn't remember properly, just that it was Renly's armour (also, that is a great name you have).

SOOOO many things. Basically, any foreshadowing.

I'm re-reading by POV, and just finished the Eddard chapters. First time around, I kind of just breezed through any and all mentions of the ToJ, or his promise to Lyanna. R+L=J didn't even occur to me until after I spent times on the forums here.

Anyhow, re-reading those chapters, it all seems so clear!

And there is this one Jon chapter, either in GoT of CoK, where he is talking to Mormont, and his raven jumps on his shoulder repeating the word "king" all while staring at Jon. Also in another Jon chapter, right after they leave to go North of the Wall, Jon teases Sam that the only word he was able to teach his ravens was "Snow", making the set-up of when Jon is elected Lord Commander that much more obvious.

I didn't think it possible, but re-reading is even more enjoyable than the first time around. I can't believe how many clues and little tid-bits there are to pick up on, and really can only be picked up on once someone knows the whole story.

Had to have been all the evidence(to my mind) concerning Rhaegar and Lyanna(and Jon), especially how Robert's was the only negative opinion of Rhaegar. That and it seemed that Robert loved Lyanna, but Lyanna was less enchanted by him. totally missed that the first 3 times I reread the books. Ned's secrets and promise and more keeping secrets and a few more ominous, forshadowy seeeecretssss.

Another, subtle, very subtle “Loras, stay and help me pray..."

The black tom that Arya chases through King's Landing is Rhaenys' Cat, Balerion, right?

I caught that on my reread too. I bet the fact that cat escaped [the murders in Maegor's] could bolster some theories about the baby swapping. Did Varys save the kitty too? - or did kitty scat fast!? I bet that kitty SAW everything, so when Arya returns to Kingslanding, she wargs that cat and learns what REALLY happened with babyswapping, raping, and head cracking.

Archived