A Certain Wedding (MEGASPOILERS)

Christopher

Well, if Renly and Stannis fought in a battle, wouldn't Renly have done the same? I don't think he would have spared Stannis, who might eventually be a threat to his rule. And it wouldn't be just Stannis, but 5000 of his men as well. Renly's assassination saved a lot of lives.

Just so you know, Mel's influence over him starts waning as the story goes, and I think that you'll eventually start liking him.

As for the Freys. the only ones worth saving are Olyvar, Perwyn, Allesander and Roslin.

The rest?

Kill them all, and let God sort them out.

Yes, Renly probably would have done the same.. Hmm, I guess I'll continue reading and see if Stannis grows on me. Mel's influence fading sounds good, I really dislike her. Her blind followers, like the queen, too.

I'm not sure yet which Freys should be saved, I haven't read Roslin's side of the story yet either. If she was forced to marry Edmar, without herself wanting to set him and Robb up, then yes she deserves to be spared. I like Edmar by the way, he has made his fair share of mistakes, but the jokes he cracked about the wedding and the compensation he'd do (for stopping Tywin Lannister at the river when he should have let them pass) were funny and made me start to like him :)

What happened to: presumed innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt?

When we meet Lord Walder Frey he seems to me a very strict ruler of his House.

I doubt he consulted all his sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters about the scheme that became the Red Wedding, and asked their opinion and agreement.

Probably most of them knew nothing about it.

We don't know if they would have objected, if they knew about it and had the opportunity to say something about it.

The only good Frey is a dead Frey, women and children included ... this makes my skin crawl.

What happened to: presumed innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt?

When we meet Lord Walder Frey he seems to me a very strict ruler of his House.

I doubt he consulted all his sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters about the scheme that became the Red Wedding, and asked their opinion and agreement.

Probably most of them knew nothing about it.

We don't know if they would have objected, if they knew about it and had the opportunity to say something about it.

The only good Frey is a dead Frey, women and children included ... this makes my skin crawl.

Actually, all the Freys present at the wedding were in on it. Its only the Freys who were conspicuous by their absence who weren't in on it. By in on it, i mean knew about the plan, not about actually having a say in the matter. Thats all scumbag Walder Frey.

Jaime pushing Bran out of the window was the first and only real shock - it showed that this fantasy is something different. I sort of woke up at that point - the beginning is harsh but still within a normal fantasy narrative. But a knight deliberately pushing a seven-year old kid to an intended death, it ripped up several conventions, not just guest right.

I do admit the Red Wedding still managed to make an effect as well. It was truly cruel, but so epic and in that sense makes a wonderful story. One can see the Red Wedding dividing people in Westeros even after issues concerning the Iron Throne have been settled. I was not suprised, and not much shocked either - if anything I hated them killing the direwolf, though of course they had to.

When I first read this chapter, I was on Easter break. I put down my book and started pacing, thinking 'that did not just happen, did it?" I picked up the book and read it again. It was like reading Ned's execution all over again.

May the old gods and the new punish the Freys (excluding Roslin) Roose Bolton, and Ramsay Snow.

Archived