The Weird Events Thread: supernatural stuff

Sci-2

Sleep paralysis is quite an interesting experience. I used to suffer from it occasionally a few years ago, when my sleeping patterns were a bit messed up. I usually experienced hearing a low humming sound, seeing strange lights, sensing a malicious presence in my bedroom and a palpable sense of dread. Rationally I always realized it was merely sleep paralysis, but in the beginning it was still somewhat unsettling, especially since you can't move a finger whilst experiencing it, After a few times I just closed my eyes though and went back to sleep.

One wonders what the other little girl did to upset the forest spirits to the point that they didn't feel like forewarning her of her impending rape and murder.

Assuming such things exist, there are numerous possibilities as to why.

Inability or capriciousness seem to be two options.

I get terrified of sleeping on my back because that is when I get sleep paralysis and that used to be pretty often and always horrifying lol even though I knew what it was. But yeah, there is nothing supernatural about it even though it scares the shit out of me every time.

I've never had sleep paralysis, but layered dreams 6 deep (only happened twice) were pretty distressing at the time. Same with dreams I wake fully from multiple times and fall back into them, although those tend to be hungover or feverish and don't seem particularly mysterious - just unpleasant.

I get terrified of sleeping on my back because that is when I get sleep paralysis and that used to be pretty often and always horrifying lol even though I knew what it was. But yeah, there is nothing supernatural about it even though it scares the shit out of me every time.

This has happened to me alot. It started in my teens and got really intense after I had my son at 18, It's scary but I did figure out that if I could muster the tiniest of sounds it would break it instantly. Not easy to do but it works.

A few times it got really weird. Once it started as a regular dream, I was at a gas station with my husband (in the dream) I passed out, faded to black, and I was thinking in the dream "I hope someone calls an ambulance..." then I realized I was dreaming.

Then I realized I was "awake" but paralyzed, I could see but only where my eyes were looking (couldn't move my head) so I did my usual thing, tried to say my husbands name....I was trying really hard and then I heard a female voice whisper my name in my fucking ear....I could feel the vibration of it's speech. Then I was frantic and made enough sound to break it.

Another time that was particularly freaky I was in my sisters house sleeping in her room, she has alot of weird shit happenings also btw...I was paralyzed and hoping nothing would happen before I could snap myself out of it and my dog lets out this low growl....she was definitly scared, she's not a chump either:) when I woke out of it she was definitly freaked out (hair standing up, ect) she was in attack mode and she's not an aggresive animal, there wasn't anyone there...disturbing to say the least

Anyway, there's and extremely cool book called "Terror that comes in the night- an experience based study of paranormal assault traditions" by David J. Hufford (?) IIRC It's an awesome read even if you don't buy into the paranormal....It goes into the lore of the "Old Hag"

I have so many "weird shit" dream stories I could literally write a book. Waking dreams, dreams within dreams, lucid dreams blah blah blah.

I'm more used to it now. If I'm asleep I'm dreaming... I have noticed the paralysis happens more often when I'm troubled before I sleep.

ETA::::: Here's a few kooky hoodoo tricks to for protection while sleeping. A glass of water beside your bed w/camphor rinsed out 3 times and replaced each night, a bowl of mustard seeds under your bed or beside it, Angelica root, a broom across your windowsill or even just broom straw, scissors (this one is trixy) under your pillow (sounds dangerous right?)

hehe :eek:

Anyway, there's and extremely cool book called "Terror that comes in the night- an experience based study of paranormal assault traditions" by David J. Hufford (?) IIRC It's an awesome read even if you don't buy into the paranormal....It goes into the lore of the "Old Hag"

Thanks!

Will definitely look it up. I mentioned it in another thread, but I also like the free online magazine Paranthropology.

=-=-=

TWO SYNCHRONOUS EXPERIENCES CONNECTED WITH A DEATH by G. W. LAMBERT

...Instead of the hair coming towards me it literally pulled me head first through the TV screen. The moment I went through the screen my heart stopped beating and I no longer had to breathe. I literally floated through. I had an instant glimpse of a golden yellow light above me. Apart from this I cannot recall seeing or hearing anything after passing through the screen. (I have tried to remember but cannot do so—I was then virtually unconscious and have no reckoning as to the lapse of time). I do remember thinking—this (communication?) is so easy—I must do it again. The next thing I knew I was lying in my bed and felt my heart coming to life again—only with a difference. My heart felt burning hot with love and joy—words cannot describe it. I felt my heart being filled with liquid divine love—an exquisitely heavenly experience...

...I then opened my eyes and saw a luminous cloud about 18 inches or so from my face. I hoped it would form into my mother's face but it just seemed to disappear...

...I switched on the bed light and looked at my watch, it was 2.55 a.m. I felt a very strong urge to go over immediately to the Kensington flat to my sister Constance. It was so strong I got out of bed to get dressed. On reflection I realised how absurd it would be to waken her at that hour of the morning and then went back to bed...

When we got over to the Kensington flat we found that my youngest sister, Lily, and her husband had called in and Constance had already told them of an experience she had had in the early hours of that morning. (Up to this time neither Constance or I had any knowledge about each other's experience and we had both related the details to other persons before this meeting.)

Constance's experience was as follows: She had been very unhappy the previous evening, alone in the flat—crying and reproaching herself. She took a strong sleeping tablet and went to bed about midnight— this usually makes her sleep heavily and soundly. She was woken up by having her head or hair pulled and then heard our mother's voice speaking—she heard the message, opened her eyes but could see nothing in the room. She then called out 'Mummy, darling' and my mother repeated the message, only much louder this time, and with more emphasis on the 'anything'. This was as follows:

‘Nobody need reproach themselves for anything. All my children have been wonderful.'

The voice did not seem to come from any particular direction but went right through the flat.

She said it sounded like our mother's voice when she was much younger, perhaps 30 or 40 years ago. It was very strong and clear.

Sleep paralysis isn't always scary. I had sleep paralysis for ages and just thought I was half hovering between being asleep and awake but not moving because I was really trying to get to sleep. Then one new year's night (early morning) I managed to kick all my covers off and lie there freezing for hours. I told myself that I just couldn't be bothered to get up and put them back on the bed. In the morning I thought about it logically and realised even I am not that lazy as to lie there freezing for the couple of seconds it would take to pull a duvet on top of myself. Rather I hadn't been able to move but my concious mind didn't like that fact so made up the excuse of "I can't be bothered to move". Needless to say I have since found that heavy drinking is often a trigger of sleep paralysis for me. I also have my first out of body experience after drinking a large amount of wine on top of beer. OBE are related to sleep paralysis. If I think I am in sleep paralysis now I usually do my lucid dreaming trick of holding my nose and seeing if I can still breathe. If I am in paralysis I am pulled out of it my the slight moving of my fingers or I am sent back into dreams if I manage to get my "hand" to my nose and realise it am not actually holding my noes as there is still air going through.

I was talking to one of my work mates and as a child she had experiences where in the middle of the night where a man would stand at the bottom of her bed. She told me she was always too scared to open her eyes or move so she would just lay there until he went away. Needless to say there was no way she could have known that a man was in her room if she never opened her eyes and this is another case of the concious mind explaining away sleep paralysis rather than admitting that it can't move and doesn't know why. Interestingly my friend now has the usual frighting, experience of sleep paralysis so at some point as she grew older her brain stopped coming up with the false explanation.

I would guess that the forest story above is also probably a version of this. I remember a story in Fortean Times where a man, who had never heard voices before, was walking alone in a wood then suddenly heard a voice telling him to get out of the way. He did as he was "told" and then a huge tree branch fell down on where he was standing which would have killed him. He however did not assume it was spirits. He looked at the tree and it was obviously rotten and he realised that his subconscious had probably seen that as he had walked up to the tree and heard it creaking in a dangerous way. His subconscious couldn't get him to move away quickly enough by just giving him bad feelings so it shouted. It may well be that the girl in the comment above subconsciously heard low voices, saw unusual tracks or something else to tell her she was not alone so she was told by her mind to get away quickly in the form of voices.

There was an experiment done where people were sent into room where some were played a subliminal audio message to open a window. Almost all of the people played the message opened the window while none of the people who didn't hear the message did so. The interesting thing was the reasons they gave for opening the window. They said they were to hot, they wanted fresh air, they heard something outside. No one said they just felt like opening a window, they all had a logical, sensible reason for doing so. However these logical, sensible reasons were all a load of BS made up by their brains to justify the fact they were actually taking orders from a subliminal message which their concious mind didn't know about. The concious mind doesn't like not knowing why it so it makes up a reason.

The worst case of this I ever heard was a rape victim who told herself during the attack that she was just going to let him get on with it as she couldn't be bothered to fight back. What had actually happened was that she had been paralysed by fear (the playing dead instinct we all carry which works great against animal predators but is useless against human attackers) but her concious mind didn't understand why it couldn't move so it told her she just couldn't rouse the effort to fight. She had gone years thinking she has let it happened to her when in truth once her brain had released the chemicals to freeze her she couldn't have done much to counteract it until they subsided. Basically sleep paralysis without the sleep. When it was explained to her that this was probably the case she couldn't quite believe it at first, partly because she couldn't quite believe she wasn't a fault but mostly because she didn't want her subconscious to have had that much power over her or for her own mind to have been so cruel rather than to admit it was helpless.

It is not only the people who have weird things happen to them who have their brains making up things, we all have our brains doing that on a daily basis. Usually it is for quite mundane things (maybe a bit of mob mentality or seeing a pile of clothes as a sleeping cat) and the reasons your brain comes up with are not overly fantastical (it seemed like a good idea at the time) so the only times they stand out are when they go against what we "know" to be true. In some cultures it would be considered more likely to have a spirit sit on you in the night than for you to wake up unable to move so the former is thought of as normal, maybe even a sign that you are a spiritual person, and the later is thought of as weird and unlikely and would probably result in you having to undergo an exorcism.

Ooh sh*t. After reading all of this I don't know how I'm going to fall asleep tonight.

Still, I'm going to share some stories I know (thankfully, my life is boring so none of it happened to me ;))

I live in a village in which people were pretty superstitious until technology came somewhere in the 50's , 60's and later. The people in my culture used to believe in witches (some were actually known to be among the folk), moras (a physical form of a nightmare - sleep paralysis nowadays), creatures that used to live in forests or ruins, curses etc. (all sorts of crazy sh*t). Even my mom told me she used to jump over the bonfire every St. John's Eve along with her sister and all the village kids, but it was purely for fun and the elderly at that time still believed it will protect them from the evil spirits.

There is this one story (which i can't remember completely so don't trust me completely) about a kid who lived in a nearby village. I know this because my mom's friend was a cousin of his mom or something like that. Anyway, he went on a stroll through the woods with his mom and she left him to play a bit. He wandered away and was never seen again. IIRC I think something happened to his mom as well, but later. She returned to the village without her kid. Today they say it was the Whirlwind that took him, whatever it was. My mom used to tell me that it just took him in the air or something. I was a kid when I heard this story so I can't remember much of it.

Now, there is this old lady that is still alive and she once told me that a witch tried to kill her son who is now a grown up. She supposedly teleported from place to place and tried to devour his soul. I suppose it was just a stupid story because she is a bit too old to be reasonable. My grandpa used to know this 'witch' and he told me she was always a good woman. One thing that stuck with me was that she always used to pinch her cheeks to look more red in the face, which was considered pretty back then. Her abandoned house still stands, half collapsed. Just a few years back half of it went tumbling down. Now you can see the furniture and letters and stuff inside it, but nobody dares go inside because it could collaps at any time. Still, it always sorta creeps me out when I see the place. You can feel something when you're near that thing. :/

Now, in the folklore the mora is a type of witch that comes to your room at night and sucks your life energy while you're asleep. My grandpa, who used to sleep in one room with his brothers and parents was supposedly visited by her very night. She would come to his window all in black with horrifying eyes and stared at him. And he would stare at her unable to move (i guess it was sleep paralysis). If he would fall asleep, she would supposedly turn into a moth (its familiar) and suck his life through his nipples. My grandpa used to say he would always find his nipples swollen :ack: after it happened. Really makes you wonder what was really happening to him. Better not think about it :drunk: The house in which they slept is my family's property now and a few metres away from my own house.

This one is really f*cked up. Near my house there is a barrel. I dunno why. It just is.

Anyway, this one time after a stormy night I went outside and saw the barrel was filled with rainwater. And inside of it was a severed rooster's head. Severed rooster's head! I dunno how it got there. My family was uncomfortable as well. Who wouldn't be? I immidiately thought it could be somebody's notion of prank or a curse. So we checked online how to get rid of those kind of things and decided to burn it. You wouldn't believe how many examples of similar things are on the internet. So we burnt it and sprinkled it with holy water :bowdown: I'm not weird. Just what would you do if that happened to you? You never know, if you believe in stuff like that it might be a problem.

Another tale is that my dad found a hank of wool full of nodes near the base while he was building a house. It is a bad omen and you can tell that somebody put it there deliberately and made the nodes.

After he threw it away, a roof tile (or a brick) detached itself from the roof and almost hit him in the head. It would have surely killed him if he hadn't mvoed away in the last second. Strange, huh? Another one I found on Friday 13th a few years ago. IIRC the same year my dog was hit by a car and died.

My brother told me something that happened to him a few years ago. While he was on some kind of a trip he saw this kid that was running across the floor in a church. Then he, surrounded by his friends pointed his finger at the kid and said 'Fall!' (he had this wicca phase). The kid stumbled and fell down. They all laugh about it now. A strange coincidence though.

That's about all I can remember right now. Not much of it is paranormal, as I wonder how much of it is really true.

Thanks for sharing #Turncloak. Also like that you're quoting one of the Ice King's Penguins!

Thea...you might want to skip over the next bit:

Owls and the UFO Abductee

No idea how many, or if any, of the tales recounted are true but the whole thing is interesting/creepy:

From stories like this, seeing through the big night vision eyes of an owl should be no big deal for the UFO occupants. I speculated with an abductee on this sneaky use of owls and he spoke with clarity on the pragmatic implications. He stated that the owls could be employed as an advance scout before any actual abduction. Their ability to fly and to see in the dark could be used to send back images of their intended landing spot and the exact location unsuspecting abductee. Plus, the owls could fly around and make sure there weren’t any sneaky intelligence agents from the Air Forces pying from the bushes. Could this be true? I have no idea, but I really like the practicality of this concept.

That bit seems like someone just psyching themselves out. Also, I've not read the whole thing yet so many maybe the back half is lame. It also seems like some of the people have weird experiences with owls and then "remember" some alien contact. The most dubious cases, IMO, are the ones where people get hypnotized. My understanding is that using hypnosis to remember things is really unlikely to produce real memories?

Here's a weird one that's short enough to quote:

One evening I was playing a replica of the arcade version of pac-man. I was alone in a room in our house with all the lights off.That's a little unusual because I have been scared of the dark for most of my life and was especially so as a child. I remember as I was playing the game something very unusual happened. In an instant I felt like time slowed to a crawl and then I snapped out of that sensation almost immediately to find my nose absolutely flowing with blood. This was not a typical nosebleed, it was really running. I calmly walked into another room where my mother was and she was beside herself at the sight of my bloody face.

I have decided to contribute. These are experiences from a house we lived in 11 years ago. We were there for about 3 years. So this may be lengthy.

I also acknowledge that happenings in this house could be easily explainable. And much could be attributed to being a new mother of a very unwell baby. Which led to severe sleep deprivation. Not to mention high and consistent stress levels. And we all know how that combination can play havoc on the mind.

The night we moved in.

Although I wasn't aware. I would have been 2 weeks pregnant by this time with our first child. (perhaps not relevant in this case. But for time line context ) So it was just myself, my husband and our cat.

It wasn't until late afternoon that the movers finished unloading our furniture and boxed belongings. We decided to go out for dinner. Then set up the bed. Tackle the whole unpacking thing the next day. So the only thing I opened that evening was the boxes with sheets and blankets and towels.

So we got back from dinner. My DH assembled the bed and I took a shower. He had a shower while I made the bed. The only thing that was in the bathroom now was shampoo and conditioner on the shower floor and soap in the soap dish. Two towels on the towel rack.

We were so tired we just fell into bed. And crashed.

It felt like only moments had passed though. When we were shocked from sleep by an explosive crash coming from the bathroom. It rattled the wall and windows.

We both launched out of bed. Got to the bathroom and switched on the light. Everything was covered in safety glass. It was in the bath, over the bench and in the basin. In the shower, on the window sill. Glass made it out into the hall. There was glass on top of the door frame, the wall mirror above the basin, the top of the shower screen. Over the towels. And there was the cat, on the window sill, all puffed up looking like this. She even had safety glass in her fur.

Nothing in the bathroom was broken. The mirror was intact. The shower screen was whole. Not even a crack. The window still the same as before. The light fixture was also just fine. It was like broken glass dropped from the ceiling. There was no liquids or any other material. Just the glass.

Over a year later there was a boom that came from the bathroom and when we went to investigate. Everything was covered in a fine dark dirt. When we walked across it we left foot prints. It was thick but not piled. It was even on the ceiling light cover.

Both clean ups were a pain.

The middle bedroom.

3 bedroom house. There was the main bedroom then progressing up the hallway the bathroom then toilet. The second room and the 3rd bedroom at the end. It was the second bedroom that had an unwelcoming vibe. And I know how stupid that sounds. I kept closing the door to that room. And every time I'd go past it the door was open wide again.

So I now knew I was pregnant and we had to choose which room we'd make the nursery and which the spare bedroom/study. 2nd bedroom would have been the natural choice. But I couldn't do it. So the furthest room from ours became the baby's room.

This meant that to get to his room I'd have to go past the middle room.

As the door was always bloody open I would often see movement in there. Or a tall shadow figure standing back from the door.

I'd taken to running past that room holding one hand up to my face to block the view.

One night as I was trying to quickly pass the room to get to my screaming son. I had this intense feeling that someone was right next to me. Looking at me. Despite myself I looked over. And the tall shadow was right up in the door way. I screamed and swore I leapt backwards against the wall and moved quickly along the hall right up against the wall like a frightened mouse.

Got to my sons room closed the door quickly behind me. My knees gave way and I fell to the floor. I was shaking so badly. I just kept telling myself I'm over tired and stressed. Nothing is there. A trick of the light and my mind.

Of course I never told any one. I thought it was crazy.

But whenever we had someone stay over. I'd put them in the middle room. (After all we went to the trouble of buying a comfortable spare bed for visitors.) Only to come out in the morning to find them sleeping on the couch in the lounge room.

My husbands relatives stayed with us for a few nights. His Aunt and Uncle were given the spare room and his cousin the couch. Come out in the morning and they are sleeping on the lounge room floor. They said there was something wrong with that room. So I set up a blow-up mattress in the lounge for them and the cousin said he wouldn't turn down a proper bed. So the next night he went to spend the night in the middle room.

Came out in the morning and he is sleeping under the dining table on a blanket. (his parents had covered the couch with their belongings).

The cousin told us that there is a man in that room. And he felt like this man wanted to kill him.

The voices.

There often were times when I'd hear talking. I mostly dismissed it as maybe the neighbours were talking loudly.

There were a few times that it was too clear, too close or at a time when it couldn't have been the neighbours.

I just put my son down for a nap after lunch. Had the baby monitor next to the computer in the lounge room. (never did set the computer up in the middle room). Then over the monitor I heard a male voice saying "Hey little fella. Look at you. You're so tiny."

I ran down to his room. Burst through the door. The side of the cot was down and the mosquito netting was open. But no one was in the room and my son was still asleep. So I put the side up and closed the netting and left, my heart still pounding in my ears.

A few times in the middle of the night coming down the hall I'd hear a conversation between two females.

And one night after spending all day at the hospital with my son. My husband went in to stay with him at night and I came home for some much needed sleep. Only to be woken up by my bed shaking and my name being called next to my ear. At first I thought it was my husband. And I panicked thinking something must be wrong. But I was still alone in the house.

Our Cat and the Doors

Our cat seemed to be in a constant state of puffed up stress. I lost count of the amount of times she'd come skittering out from the hall way or some other room. And she'd hide in some dark corner or under the couch. She lost her appetite and she had small bald patches. I took her to the vets and she got a clean bill of health. The vet said she could have some kind of stressor in her life. Previously she was a happy indoor cat until we moved to that house. I started letting her out and she improved quite a bit.

The doors in the house would open and close on their own. Including the front and back door. After the door shutting and locking me out of the house twice with my baby boy inside. I took to wearing a house key like a necklace. For times when I went to hang out washing and actually wanted to come back inside.

There was a storage room by the car port that I kept locked. Well tried to. It was outside access only. So I didn't want someone to be able to just walk in there and help themselves to our stuff. But there were times I'd pull up in the car and it would open a crack and then close. Or a visitor would tell me that the door opened as they walked up and then closed again.

I had a friend swear that as she went to use the toilet. She reached for the handle. But before she touched it the handle turned and the door opened. I remember she came out and told me she could wait until we were at the shopping centre. And that she hates my house.

So one fine day the cat was meowing at the back door to be let in and fed. I opened the door and I picked her up. She was all purrs and snuggles.

Then it was like the mood of the air shifted. There was a cold breeze on the back of my neck and a chill down my spine. At the same moment the cat went stiff. her tail puffed up. She scratched my chest badly while trying to get away and did an epic parkour over the out door furniture. Bouncing off the trellis across the back yard and over the fence.

So bleeding I turned to go inside and the door shuts and locks on me. It's just lucky I had the key.

All that was probably just weird coincidence. But it was just another in a long list of them.

The electrics.

During our time in this house. The lights would flicker or go out through some rooms and not others. The power would surge. We went through a microwave. Two TVs. Three vacuum cleaners. about 6 toaster and probably just as many kettles and when our nice sound system blew. We still haven't replaced it. There were times I'd be holding the remote while watching tv and the volume would go up and down or the channels would change. (obviously without me touching any buttons.) The tv, stereo and computer and once the microwave would take turns going on in the middle of the night.

I complained and the defence housing sent over an electrician to check it out. He said everything was fine. He couldn't find any problems. And the safety switch worked fine when he tested it. Later we got in an electrician ourselves who gave us the same answer.

The cot.

There were so many times that I would swear that once I had put my son into the cot. I'd pull the side up until it clicked and the close the netting. Only to come and check on him to find the netting open and the side of the cot down.

This is the thing that seriously made me think I had lost my mind.

It was at the point when he was getting big enough to roll and pull himself up a little that I took the netting away. And I would lift the side up until it clicked and then I would jiggle it and push down on it. And I would say out loud to myself. The side is up. Only to come in and see it down again.

So in desperation I said out loud to the room. But mostly because I was hoping a declaration would cut through the fog and maybe I would stop forgetting to put the side up. "This has to stop. The side needs to be up! Otherwise the baby can get seriously hurt."

And it didn't happen for a good long while after that.

All that isn't even going into the weird day to day happenings.

I was so happy to move out of that place. I have never felt more threadbare, on edge and like I had lost my mind.

And I have never had that kind of trouble since. Even with my second son being a terrible sleeper and me being extremely sleep deprived. I never felt that way again. But I'm also aware that there were extra stressors the first time around that may have sent me over to audible and visual hallucinations.

We are now back in the area. Just a few minutes down the road from that house. I wanted to ask the current tenants what they thought of the place. Because what happened there still bugs me. But it's no longer there. All the houses along that street have been torn down.

.....Whoah.

Thanks for sharing Warg.

I'll need to buy a candle, but I told a friend I'd try something called a psychomanteum. I guess you have a candle and a mirror that you hold at an angle away from you in darkness. Apparently you see the dead in the mirror if you wait long enough.

I'm guessing it's just the mind playing tricks on you, despite some interesting stories out there on the net. Makes me nervous, as I think even seeing a hallucination of a specter would fuck me up in the head....but ideally I've got enough skepticism in my bones to make me go through with it.

And some people actually said it's comforting, if you focus on someone you loved that's passed away...

That was great, Warg.

Sci, there is absolutely no fucking way I would do that. And if I went to someone else's house and they were doing it, I would leave immediately. Mirrors freak me out and always have. If I have any weird, irrational hang up at the age of 30 that is a hold-over from childhood it is that I do not like mirrors. When I need a mirror to get ready or something I don't really think about it, like I can brush my teeth and stuff without even thinking about it, I even have a pretty big one in my bedroom.... but in any other non-functional context I don't like them. I don't like having them in my peripheral vision and I don't like being around them when it is dark in the room. I have an innate fear of seeing something other than my own reflection and I don't think I've got the stones to actually attempt that on purpose.

Ew yeah, that mirror thing sounds petrifying; I am already terrified by the v idea of ghosts and sleep paralysis is enough for me; have had hallucinations during that but they don't ruin my life because I know theyre not paranormal. Even the possibility of seeing something other when im fully awake makes me feel a bit woozy. Lol. You're crazy sci :P

So nothing from the psychomanteum stuff so far.

But I used a hand mirror and apparently you should have a full length mirror while relaxing in a comfy chair.

Seems like a way to induce your brain into making things up more than a way to contact the dead?

=-=-=

Filmmaker Joe Kane on the doc Ghosts on the Underground

Christopher: I like how the late Vic Tandy was a significant part of the documentary. Tandy, for those readers who aren't familiar with him, was a proponent of exploring infrasound as a potential explanation for "haunting" experiences, particularly when people catch a glimpse of an apparition in the corner of their eye and feel unsettled, as if there were a presence in the room. How did he become so key as a way to delve into why certain parts of the tube are connected to eerie experiences?

Joe: Vic was great. He was the perfect balance of not rubbishing anything but also keeping his scientific mind looking for an explanation. His infrasound theory is really good and applies to quite a lot of situations. He explained infrasound to me as a leftover from prehistoric years when we could hear deep rumbles like animal roars and it would trigger fight or flight responses –hair standing on end, etc. – and that we still hear those sounds, we just don't consciously recognise them as audio, so we get the effect without the sound. Once I heard his theory I thought he was perfect to balance out the film and keep it credible.

Christopher: And Tandy's theory is still widely discussed. Yet you don't suggest that it is a blanket explanation for the hauntings. You present a variety of stories that firmly fall outside of how Tandy explains infrasound effects on human physiology. Did you, yourself, experience anything ghostly while making the film?

Joe: The nearest thing was Pages Walk. It's really creepy place to be and we were told by the station staff that all our batteries would run out when we got down there. Sure enough they did, we had four of them go flat on us which is a bit strange. We also had a shot down there where we were filming a tracking shot of the tunnel, and as we started recording I said to the cameraman that what we needed was the door to slam shut to make the shot more interesting, and as soon as I said it, it did. The perfect 'stage' door slam; creaking door followed by a slam. The shot made it into the film.

This one's for you Sci :)

Today is Aug 14, 2014. At approximately 1830, I went into the camera on my 5 year old phone that has had no issues with taking photographs. I was at a morale event for work and wanted to take a picture of the scoreboard. After taking the picture, I went back to look at the photo to make sure it came out OK. The photo was there, but so was this. http://i.imgur.com/2Z12uAI.jpg

According to the media stamp in the phone, the photo was taken at 1947PM 13Aug2014. I was at home posting on FB and doing some online shopping. I would have stepped out on my patio to smoke a cigarette occasionally. The only thing my boss and I could identify on my little LG Rumor screen was the blue jeans. I emailed it to myself and opened it up when I got home and my jaw dropped.

It is a picture of me. On my back patio. Those are my old sneakers that I wear to do yard work in. I'm wearing jeans and one of my t-shirts that I got in Salem in 2011. I can identify my porch railing. The bar running from the bottom to the top is the frame from the sliding glass doors.

I've done my share of 'ghost-hunting' in the past and can usually find a normal explanation for photo anomalies. However, there are many issues with this photo. Let me start with a couple of pictures taken from the same phone.

These are the vertical blinds that go to the patio. I very seldom open them and just slip between them when I go outside. This is how they normally look. http://i.imgur.com/RmJ9tJw.jpg I haven't pulled them all the way open since May when I cleaned them.

This is a picture taken from 8 ft away of the blinds open. http://i.imgur.com/iB4j3fw.jpg?1 And this is a picture of me reflected in the glass from 6ft away. http://i.imgur.com/7ztYunf.jpg?1

I couldn't totally replicate the pictures in the same light--at 1947, it would have still been pretty bright out here in GA. I did turn the patio light on and this was the closest I could get to the same quality as the original. http://i.imgur.com/9b4R3nU.jpg The difference would be that in the original photo, there would not have been the level of reflection from within the apartment...which gives me an idea :idea: So here is another attempt at replication with most of the lights out inside and the patio light on. http://i.imgur.com/KgvGDy7.jpg

So this is what is strange about this picture.

1. I live alone and have had no visitors. The phone was sitting on top of the fireplace where the TV is and there was no way for the dog to get to it.

2. I do own the clothes being worn, but yesterday I was wearing red shorts and my navy blue 'Blame Pod' tshirt.

3. While the image does bear some resemblance to the double-exposures of old, I'm not in the habit of taking selfies and haven't worn those clothes recently.

4. This phone keeps pictures in order with the most recent showing first. Going by media stamps, this was the newest photo beside the one taken at the bowling alley. However, pictures I had taken of a gift from a fellow TTTNEr showed up after this one in the album even though they were taken Monday and Tuesday.

5. The square with the rounded edges in the top center--there are only three things I own in that shape. My Kindle (which is in a red leather cover in the bedroom), my laptop (which can be seen reflected in the window but sits on a white cooling fan if you look at the last link) and the phone itself.

6. I am transparent--again, that makes me want to think double exposure. What scares me is that creepy black thing at the bottom is not.

7. The creepy black thing--in one of my photos, a similar sized blob is present in the window, but much higher up and without orange glowing spots. That is a reflection from a large wreath in the living room. The thing at my feet in the photo :shrug:

8.The entire angle is just....wrong. The only way I could really replicate the angle is to move a lamp, 3 bags of kitty litter that I haven't taken to the shelter yet, a huge bag full of books and stand up on my step-ladder.

And last, but not least, is what the T-shirt actually says 'Something Wicked this Way Comes' on the front.

So what do y'all think?

That is weird - thanks for sharing! The black blob seems like some kind of camera error right?

But what seems like a time lapse seems strange. That said, I recall a variety of weird computer glitches that have led to unusual, seemingly paranormal pictures.

Then again, Time is pretty weird...

Archived