Rome II: Total War

Werthead

So.. the whole point of those types of fights with capture points is to protect the capture points as well. Really don't see how that in itself makes it a horrible game. The graphical issues? Yes. The CTD's and low FPS on beastly machines like mine? Yes. Not paying attention to the type of battle you are in and getting upset mechanics? Silly.

The capture points during seiges aren't the problem, it's the victory flag thing shows up in open battles. Usually being on the defensive and outnumbered by the enemy with no reinforcements coming I am obviously going to want to put my army in a defensive position on a hill to give myself a better chance at winning the battle. This plan gets torn to bits when the stupid flag spawns right at the bottom and the AI rushes right to it ignoring my army completely and if I don't bull rush my army down there I will lose the battle, but since I'm outnumbered my army is no longer in a adequate defensive position and so It gets destroyed and I lose the battle anyway.

The whole feature is dumb, and turns open battles into "King of the Hill", no tactics are required, just have more men, rush to the flag and you've won, it's bullcrap. The feature wasn't even meant to be in open battles to start with, I remember watching a pre-release gameplay video and someone watching the dev play noticed the flag and the dev said that the flag thing would only be used in sieges, historic battles and the like, and NOT open battles. Lo and behold, they are in open battles.,

The whole reason I play TW is for the battles, if the open battles are reduced to one big King of the Hill borefest than yes, it makes the whole game horrible. The diplomacy could be shit, the naval battles could be removed, my 2nd favourite feature the family tree could be taken out(oh wait..), but iI would still play the game for it's battles. Now i can't even enjoy them because of this terrible attempt at covering up the flawed AI.

"Hey Jim I have an awesome idea on how to sort out the crap AI problem"

"What idea is that Tom?"

"We make it so that battles can be won by capturing a flag"

"Good idea, but how does that stop players from just wiping out the AI armies and getting to the flag first?"

"We disadvantage the players by spawning the flag away from them and make the AI bull rush to the flag asap so that it gets there first"

:Genuis"

As for the moves thing, I'm not sure if it can be fixed. One thing that is slightly annoying, though, is that the Europa Barbaroum (sic) mod for Rome I had this exact same issue (turning all the rebel factions into actual factions, resulting in dozens and dozens of factions and multi-minute waits for turns to end), yet for some reason no-one ever criticised them over this. The reaction was, "Lol, CA had just one 'Rebel Faction' man, that's so lame, the fans have had to fix it for them." So I can see why CA did this.

How is that annoying? EB is a mod on a 9 year old game. Rome 2 is not. Seems to me they might have tried fixing this. But hey CA is awesome right?

I've had no issues with the turn time as of yet. It starts slow as it cycles through the major factions, but then it just zips through all the small factions until it gets to your neighbors where it shows the AI movement. Maybe my games goes faster, I don't know.

Also, I too have not seen this victory flag you speak of.

yeah, the important characters thing is a bit confusing so far. And it sucks that you can't improve your generals' skills from that window, instead you have to find them on the map; good thing there aren't many of them.

But the thing that irks me the most so far is that it seems you cannot approach an enemy city without attacking it, so you can't nicely set up 2-3 armies around a heavily defended city.

yeah, the important characters thing is a bit confusing so far. And it sucks that you can't improve your generals' skills from that window, instead you have to find them on the map; good thing there aren't many of them.

But the thing that irks me the most so far is that it seems you cannot approach an enemy city without attacking it, so you can't nicely set up 2-3 armies around a heavily defended city.

So does this mean having multiple armies against one is out? Unless, you're defending of course.

So does this mean having multiple armies against one is out? Unless, you're defending of course.

Any other allied unit within the engagement radius will join in, you can't bring them all right up next to it but you can lay siege with the first army and then move your secondary units up after encircling, THEN attack with the army laying siege.

I don't know, but I know that I besieged a city with one army, but then tried to initiate the attack with another (like in Medieval 2). Wouldn't let me. But I think you can bring a secondary army close enough for it to count. My city was attacked by multiple fleets but I also benefited from using armies positioned outside the city. Though I was confused as to why the army that I though was garrisoned in the city (newly conquered one mind you) did not spawn in the city, and it spawned at the edge of the battlefield instead.

Archived