Brienne chapters....snoozefest

AegonTargaryen

What is this magic word that last escapes her lips? I was most intrigued. Made all the rest of her chapters bearable.

GRRM has confirmed that the word she screamed was

"sword." She's given a choice - take the sword & kill Lannister, or the noose. So she makes a choice (IMO, to save Pod, when she sees him swinging beside her.

2/3 of the way though and whenever i see a Brienne chapter i just think FFS. I like every other chapter except hers but glad to hear it gets more exciting.

I find her like Catelyn in the previous books who i found quite boring up until the end when it all happened.

I'm also really enjoying AFFC and quite shocked people rate it the lowest.

Her chapters were some of my favorites, I always got excited when I turned the page an saw her name. Her chapters provide so much substance and history, how else would we know how the smallfolk have been affected by the last 3 books, all the other characters are just focused on their own schemes. Not to mention the river lands that have seen the most fighting and hardship. Dont forget she is like one of the most honorable "true knight" type characters left in westeros that has a pov, I could read about her thinking about riding a horse somewhere and enjoy it.

GRRM has confirmed that the word she screamed was

"sword." She's given a choice - take the sword & kill Lannister, or the noose. So she makes a choice (IMO, to save Pod, when she sees him swinging beside her.

aww man... i clicked it. i was ever so pondering what could save her skin. oh well, so many things have been spoiled since i started reading here, however, i unequivocally blame myself for continuing to read. i've learned so much that has escaped me while reading.

imo, sansa/alayne chapters are the most boring, since i always have to put the book down before going further.

brienne's pureness, like others have mentioned, was all i needed to keep reading her chapters. her vows kept me turning pages faster than any other chapters. someone like her deserves to find happiness in the end, if GRRM has it in his grrim heart to allow it (i kid about grrm's heart). i've yet to read ADWD, so i guess i must continue.

I am realizing that once I get through a chapter, I am more interested in that person than I was before. I don't find any of the characters boring at this point - they are each interesting and curious in their own way. You never know what a character might stumble upon, or what they might set in motion. It doesn't seem that there are many wasted connections in this story.

I get a small thrill every time Brienne crosses the path of another character/thread, very exciting - it is a small world...

I am realizing that once I get through a chapter, I am more interested in that person than I was before. I don't find any of the characters boring at this point - they are each interesting and curious in their own way. You never know what a character might stumble upon, or what they might set in motion. It doesn't seem that there are many wasted connections in this story.

I get a small thrill every time Brienne crosses the path of another character/thread, very exciting - it is a small world...

That's such a good way to put it, and exactly how I've come to feel about Martin's characters/writing.

Btw, have you finished AFFC?

• 2 weeks later...

The pace is slow, like the rest of the book. The real disapointment is that you got ZERO character development for Brienne (or Podrick, for that matter).

Disagree. Brienne was so short of martial confidence, despite her obvious physical assets. Her clash with the Bloody Mummers in Crackclaw Point was a pretty big moment for her. That, yes, she could be an asskicker.

Just one example of her development.

I like Brienne as a character, but I found her AFFC POV chapters to be a bit slow and frustrating. Mostly because you know where Sansa and Arya are, and you know Brienne's looking in the wrong place. I think her chapters definitely have their enjoyable moments, but I'll confess to skipping or skimming them when I read AFFC the second time.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Brienne's chapters. They were the world building chapters. Showing the gritty side of the commoners in the wake of the war.

I liked the Septan's story about the broken men and the tales told from Dick Crabb. You can't help but feel bad for the small folk who have to go to war when their Lord calls them.

Archived