What is the strongest castle?

Winter's Ghost

Highgarden might be, if you want to get technical. It's so deep in the Reach that you'd have to have a massive army or go up the Mander to assault it fully.

Outside of the Paramount castles, the Hightower in Oldtown is probably an awesome castle. The castles of the Dornish marches (Caron, Swann, Dondarrion for the Stormlands, Fowler and Yronwood for the Dornish) are probably all exceedingly strong due to their circumstances, having to be prepared for attack at all time.

Storm's End for the reasons other members have posted plus it's also probably imbued with sorcery. For that matter I'm going to throw in Castle Black (from the north side) because well, it's positioned on a 700 foot wall of magical ice and may also have some sorcery within it. But yeah, if the gates are frozen shut there's no getting into Castle Black.

Hard to tell. My pick would be Riverrun, for the reasons Durarara mentioned.

Harrenhall and Eyrie aren't contenders IMO. Both are way too dependent on external support, and Harrenhall is in bad disrepair to boot. It has the potential to be the supreme castle in Westeros, but first you must settle something like King's Landing whole population next to its walls... and then convince them to repair and man the castle. Not too likely to happen, and anyway what is the point of a castle that only works properly when surrounded by friendly forces?

Storm's End for the reasons other members have posted plus it's also probably imbued with sorcery. For that matter I'm going to throw in Castle Black (from the north side) because well, it's positioned on a 700 foot wall of magical ice and may also have some sorcery within it. But yeah, if the gates are frozen shut there's no getting into Castle Black.

Castle Black, like at seventeen or so Night's Watch castles, was purposefully built to be vulnerable from the south, however.

I always find it interesting that no one even mentions Moat Cailin in these "strongest castles" threads. The place has yet to be breached by an army while the Northmen held it. The Northman have used it for 10,000 years and held off armys 100 times as big. It has been used to protect the North since before the First Men came.

That being said I think the Eyrie has to be the top spot, it is absolutely impossible to take that castle and that is assuming you will be able to make it there, which is highly doubtful. I would put Moat Cailin as number 2 on the list and then Storms End. Winterfell, Casterly Rock, Etc. come in after those.

Harrenhal would be shit for defence.

It's so big you would need a whole army to man it to its fullest, and even then some assholes might ruin your epic plan by slipping through its cracks and cutting your throat while you sleep.

In a classic siege with less defenders than attackers, you, as the besieged party, would be fucked. Why? Because the enemy would file into Harrenhal from one of its numerous weaknesses, and then, you'd be stuck in there with them! And they would assfuck you! And then mount your head on a spike.

If you had enough men to defend Harrenhal, you could just sally forth, and destroy the enemy. Harrenhal is so fucking pointless it makes me mad.

Harrenhal would be shit for defence.

It's so big you would need a whole army to man it to its fullest, and even then some assholes might ruin your epic plan by slipping through its cracks and cutting your throat while you sleep.

In a classic siege with less defenders than attackers, you, as the besieged party, would be fucked. Why? Because the enemy would file into Harrenhal from one of its numerous weaknesses, and then, you'd be stuck in there with them! And they would assfuck you! And then mount your head on a spike.

If you had enough men to defend Harrenhal, you could just sally forth, and destroy the enemy. Harrenhal is so fucking pointless it makes me mad.

If all 5 towers were good and not in ruin(I think 2 are). Then during a siege you would barely defend the walls and then go in the five towers. When the enemy breaches the walls they would be sitting ducks in the middle of 5 towers. Arrows, boulders, boiling oil, and anything tthey can find would be raining on the attackers

As I remember it, each time it happened it was a major thing, occupying a major portion of whole armies.

It has a great natural defense but past that it divides the armies in 3

Archived