Queen Nymeria a witch?

tijde

How is this different than reality? Successful women today are slut shamed...at least in America. We have yet to see a female President, but, boy oh boy, we currently have 362 men and 76 women in the House of Representatives, and 17 women and 83 men in the Senate. It's 2012 people of America! Women outnumber men 51 to 50 percent, but we only have a 20% of our own sex representing us in Congress.

I don't think it is just America look at places like Africa for example. America hasn't had a female leader(yet), but has made significant progress in the idea of women as leaders. It's not where it should be and I question if it will ever get there, but in many cases women are their own enemies. Michelle Bachman is a prime example, Ann Coulter another, they do the idea of female leaders no favors when they open their mouths. Coupled with the existing stigma of "women can't lead" it is a lot to overcome, I have faith though. It's important to not make the debate a men vs. women battle because I firmly believe it's deeper than that.

• 9 months later...

Digressing from the topic ever so slightly.. What do we actually know about Nymeria, apart from the association with witchcraft? She led her people across the Narrow Sea, conquered Dorne and married a Martell.

Rather than purely being a parallel of her direwolf namesake, could the human Nymeria be a foreshadowing of Dany, and her advance into Kings Landing?

Not saying for one minute that she will marry a Martell, however there may be other links - one of which, could entail leading her people across the Narrow Sea, with some act of scandal yet to come.

In Game of Thrones, there is an interesting passage in one of Arya's POVs concerning Nymeria's interaction with Ghost. The passage suggests that at one point, Nymeria and Ghost are curious of one another (GoT, P. 67, Paperback).

Apologies if this is slightly crackpot, but - notwithstanding the animal behaviour, this can be construed as curiosity. Could this suggest that when Dany and Jon meet for the first time, their meeting will be characterised by curiosity?

Archived