Wheel of Time question

aryasthebomb

So I just started reading this series and am about half way through the first book and I just want to know if we ever get to meet the thirteen forsaken or are they only referred to? In other words are they handled like the nine in lord of the rings where we see them but no character development. Or are they treated like the death eaters in harry potter where they have actual dialogue and interactions? Thanx!

So I just started reading this series and am about half way through the first book and I just want to know if we ever get to meet the thirteen forsaken or are they only referred to? In other words are they handled like the nine in lord of the rings where we see them but no character development. Or are they treated like the death eaters in harry potter where they have actual dialogue and interactions? Thanx!

You'll meet them.

Also, check out this site:

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php

Might help you out a bit more.

Thanks guys!! That's the answer I was hoping for :) only problem is I told myself to pace myself so when I finish towers of midnight a memory of light will be just coming out. I'm really hooked and I'm thinking its gonna be a long wait till the final one. Although considering that those that have been with the series from the beginning my wait is trivial. Plus I'm used to waiting I am after all a grrm fan.

Thanks guys!! That's the answer I was hoping for :) only problem is I told myself to pace myself so when I finish towers of midnight a memory of light will be just coming out. I'm really hooked and I'm thinking its gonna be a long wait till the final one. Although considering that those that have been with the series from the beginning my wait is trivial. Plus I'm used to waiting I am after all a grrm fan.

A Memory of Light, the final book, is set to release in January of 2013. So if you still have 13.5 to go you may not have as much waiting as you think. If you really read a lot you may want to put some books in between. That is what I usually do even though I don't read that fast.

You should not use your progress on books 1-4 to gauge how long it will take you to finish the series, because books 7-10 are a slog. But if you are a fast enough reader to finish two of these books a month till January, congrats, I wouldn't want to do that (too much epic fantasy!)

For the Forsaken, some of them are pretty great. Others...not so much. It'll help if you don't get your hopes up too high.

You'll meet them. Then you'll wish you hadn't. Then you'll realize they were put in the story for Three Stooges-style comedic relief and come to enjoy their hapless, bumbling ineptitude in that light.

Don't ruin it, in book 1 they seem so menacing!

Have any of the Forsaken done as much as Alviarin to actually help the Shadow? My vote is no.

Have any of the Forsaken done as much as Alviarin to actually help the Shadow? My vote is no.

They have managed to provide the Great Lord with lots and lots of bungling. Epic, Forsaken-level bungling. That, and lots of chances for Forsaken coffee klatches in intricately described locations.

You'll meet them. Then you'll wish you hadn't. Then you'll realize they were put in the story for Three Stooges-style comedic relief and come to enjoy their hapless, bumbling ineptitude in that light.

I thought he set the tone with them pretty well early on. The first couple we met were a total joke.

The only ones who ever seemed to have a chance at being formidable were Ish and Lanfear. And even if they're still bumbling, they do at least have more interesting plot-lines.

Spoiler tags people, he hasn't finished book 1 yet!

And in response:

I wouldn't say that Ish and Lanfear were the only formidable ones. Semiridge brought down the Seanchan empire off-screen, that's pretty good. Rahvin would have killed Rand were it not for Nyn and Moghedian entering TAR to attack him, which was pretty unforeseeable.

But, Aginor and Balthamel have gotten nothing accomplished with two lives each, Asmodean is a joke and nobody even knows where Demandred is, 13 books in.

The competition is fierce for most incompetent Forsaken.

Heh. I just finished TGH, so I'm right there with you. If you want to discuss the books as you go through them we can start a forum to track our push to A Memory of Light. I'll tell you this. Eye of the World takes 350 (paperback) pages to get you into it. TGH is absolutely fantastic. I read it in two weeks. Just bought TDR and am debating if I should just read at my desk and act like I'm drafting a brief all week....

And in response:

I wouldn't say that Ish and Lanfear were the only formidable ones. Semiridge brought down the Seanchan empire off-screen, that's pretty good. Rahvin would have killed Rand were it not for Nyn and Moghedian entering TAR to attack him, which was pretty unforeseeable.

But, Aginor and Balthamel have gotten nothing accomplished with two lives each, Asmodean is a joke and nobody even knows where Demandred is, 13 books in.

The important thing to note is that general incompetance with flashes of competence is exactly what the author was aiming for. The story begins with them being described as unspeakable monsters of great power. By the end, we've been told by a scholar who has made it her life's job to closely observe them that they're children, fighting for favors, incapable of working together to reach the end goal of their orgnaization. The only one who does that is Ishamael, which is why he makes for a more competant villain. Graendal came close, too. But that's it. The rest are varying shades of selfish-moron.

And in response:

Aginor created the trollocs who were used as the main fighting force in a 350 years long war.

In all honesty, tho, the Foresaken aren't even the Taken...although they are incredibly powerful. They aren't the only villains, either.

But, they are a lot of fun to read about.

And, at this point

I'm more excited about Logain's ending

than anything in Westeros.

Well, except teh Stannis bits.

Archived