Thoros of Myr has been cast (...maybe)

Housefires

There's a rumor going around on tumblr that Asim Ahmad will be playing Thoros of Myr, a claim seemingly corroborated by a recent tweet from Asim (though the context is missing, it is reasonable to assume what it may have been).

Asim Ahmad's IMBD: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3606527/

The 'rumor': http://eternal0arane...ros-of-myr-cast

The 'evidence': http://twitter.com/a...103162240053248

Not the most... credible of sources I'll admit but I think it's too large a coincidence that the tumblr post would name a relatively unknown actor who happens to also be 'boasting' about Game of Thrones on his twitter for it not to have some truth in it. I guess we'll see.

He certainly looks the part and his resume certainly looks impressive enough (a number of small roles in BIG movies, including The Dark Knight and Inception).

"like a big part that would require him to be in 13 episodes!"

...o rly?

His facial structure fits what I have in mind for Thoros. And this continues Twitter's track record as the Froggy of Season 3 :P

What's giving me doubts though, is that he's listed there as based in San Diego. There has only been two non-European actors in the cast, and both of them are 'specialty' (Tyrion and Drogo). But then his Twitter says he's in London...

Awesome news if true. I always pictured Thoros as white, but it doesn't really matter as they seem to be going more ethnic for the free cities. His picture also makes him look kind of chubby so if he has lost a little weight they can mention it in the show. I can't wait for the flaming sword and the trial of the Hound.

I've always pictured Thoros as big, fat, bald guy with all of the red capes- kind of like a fighting Cardinal from Rome.

Isn't he suppose to be brighter and a bit more caucasian looking? I'm not saying that he needs to be pale white, but this actor looks too mediterranean to me- and Myr isn't Slaver's bay / Qarth..

I've always pictured Thoros as big, fat, bald guy with all of the red capes- kind of like a fighting Cardinal from Rome.

Isn't he suppose to be brighter and a bit more caucasian looking? I'm not saying that he needs to be pale white, but this actor looks too mediterranean to me- and Myr isn't Slaver's bay / Qarth..

The milk men of Qarth is whiter than Myrish people. I don't remember Thoros' physical description other than he used to be fat and then got thinner, but I remember that Taena of Myr has dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin.

That said, it's possible that the showrunners decide that the Free cities are diverse, because they made Shae to be from Lorath. That looks like a nod to Sibel Kekilli and Tom Wlaschiha both being from Germany.

It's not a big deal if he isn't British, considering Myr is on a different continent.

It's not a question of the actor's suitability to the role, but more about practical concerns. If you can get an actor from Britain, it means less work dealing with immigration matters. It's also simpler to work with an EU citizen than a non-EU IIRC.

It's not a question of the actor's suitability to the role, but more about practical concerns. If you can get an actor from Britain, it means less work dealing with immigration matters. It's also simpler to work with an EU citizen than a non-EU IIRC.

This gets overplayed in discussions. It's really not that hard for US actors to come and work a temporary gig in the UK. The West End stages are full of Americans, and not just star names either. Similarly, US bands tour the UK all the time. As much as anything it'll be schedules, travel costs and most importantly salaries and an inability to produce an accent in-keeping with the feel of the show that has prevented more US actors from being cast.

I don't care about the appearance of Thoros or his ethnicity (seems Red Priests come from all over Essos), I'm just sorry that we didn't get to see "old" Thoros, the lunatic that made a great drinking buddy for Robert.

Asim lived in Britain from ages 2-18 so he is as good as British for their purposes, he is associated with British casting agencies and no doubt has a British accent or is comfortable with one.

Asim lived in Britain from ages 2-18 so he is as good as British for their purposes, he is associated with British casting agencies and no doubt has a British accent or is comfortable with one.

Thats allways great news!

Should he have a British accent though?

Thoros's voice is supposed to be "flavored with the accent of the Free Cities," or something like that (as described by Brienne at the end of AFFC), so I would guess that they might not actually want him to sound too British. The accents are all over the place in the show anyway though.

If he lived in England from infancy to adulthood I'd say his accent is British.

Sorry if you misunderstood. I mean, should Thoros have an English accent, not the actor. I'm sure the actor can do a British accent, but what I'm wondering is should the actor do a British accent. I always imagined Thoros and Taena sounding French. I guess it could work with him having an English accent considering that in the show he'd have been in King's Landing at least 17 years seeing as he was sent there to try and convince Aerys to follow R'hllor.

But like Jolene Brown said, the show has hardly been consistent with accents, everyone in Qarth sounded like they were from Westeros, as did Illyrio Mopatis.

Archived