Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

I was just readed the who killed Little Walder thread and the discussion drifted into the possible identity of the hooded man:

I think for one its a real person, not Theon imagining it or Theon's not damaged personality.

I think the best two candidates for that are the Blackfish and Benjen Stark. Currently, no one knows where the either one is. Additionally, both have experience in combat and in secrecy. Benjen was a ranger and Blackfish escaped Riverrun. Also, both have been associated with black.

I think its the Blackfish, provided he got to Winterfell from Riverrun.

I don't think it's the Blackfish for two reasons:

1. Theon has seen him before and knows what he looks like and sounds like. He would recognize him.

2. Feast and Dance overlap substantially chronologically. It's difficult to tell exactly where certain events take place, but given that the Blackfish makes his escape relatively late in Feast, it's possible that he's still holed up in Riverrun or in the Riverlands when Theon sees the Hooded Man.

I think Theon Durden is probably the real soluton, but if we're in "real person" territory, I think Robett Glover's a good candidate. But again, Theon knows almost all of the other northern lords and many of the riverlords.

I think it's Whoresbane or someone else in contact with Crowfood based on the sample chapter of Wind. Agreed about Glover.

Martin calls him a night walker which is old slang for a whore and what he says to Theon is virtually identical to what Crowfood says when he sees him as well.

I was just readed the who killed Little Walder thread and the discussion drifted into the possible identity of the hooded man:

I think for one its a real person, not Theon imagining it or Theon's not damaged personality.

I think the best two candidates for that are the Blackfish and Benjen Stark. Currently, no one knows where the either one is. Additionally, both have experience in combat and in secrecy. Benjen was a ranger and Blackfish escaped Riverrun. Also, both have been associated with black.

I think its the Blackfish, provided he got to Winterfell from Riverrun.

Of the two, I think Blackfish is more likely but I'm pretty sure it's a Theon Hallucination/personality change. I think the big clue there is the changing PoV names.

Blackfish's first duty is to his Liege's heir, so I don't know if you suscribe to the Jeyne swap theory, but if you do, he would head to relative safety. Personally White Harbor or to the Vale would be my picks. Vale because of Blackfishes history there, and in the vaccum created by the Lady Lysa's death he may be able to tap into the Lord's distrust of LF and raise the Vale. WH is safe, and secure from any southern Influences. Only some Frey's to avoid.

It's not Benjen. I think his story will be resumed beyond the wall, where we saw him last. I doubt he would go back south w/o at least popping in to say what's up at Castle Black. And the Night's Watch takes no part remember? Well, that used to mean something.

I thought Theon Durden was a good theory when I first read it, but on my re-read I had trouble picturing it being Theon and I was looking for clues that he has blackouts or periods he does not remember, but found none. I really don't know who it is though. I think Blackfish is probably in hiding somewhere with Jeyne but if that theory is false then I could see it being Blackfish. I do not think it is Benjen at all. I expect we will catch with him in the far North. Other than that I really have no idea who it is. Maybe we are making too big a deal out of it and it was just some random Northern, but knowing Martin that is probably not true.

There is a possible one I believe, someone pointed it out in another thread. Something about him sitting down to breakfast and then people suddenly coming in for lunch or dinner.

If I remember correctly the big instance of temporal displacement was at wedding where it went almost to the end of the reception and the bedding. I assumed it might have been skipping forward in POV without changing chapter like some other chapters have. I don't think anyone was killed during this period though. I don't remember any others, but if it is done with a lot of subtlety I can see me missing it. Can anyone help me out with textual evidence here or link me to a thread with evidence?

For the longest time I had no guess who the hooded man was. The only thought I had on the subject was that Theon and the man recognized each other and Theon had a reason to be afraid of the man. Having recently re-read the Theon chapters back to back I think the man was Galbert Glover. I am not positive it was Galbert Glover, but that is my best guess.

Aeron Damphair.

He needs to trump Euron's claim, maybe he came for Theon but realised how complicated the situation was in Winterfell and how ruined Theon is so he was biding his time to act.

As for the murders, the spearwives started to kill the guards which Rowan/Holly admitted too and the blood-splattered Big Walder killed Little Walder.

If there's one thing I'm totally sure of, it's that it's not Theon.

It's confusing to tell how much of the guy's face is covered. Most people accept that the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle was probably the Hound, and he avoided recognition through the simple device of a cowl over his face. If this guy's face was sufficiently cloaked, that opens up a lot of possibilities. If he just had a hood on his head, then a lot of the obvious suspects are out, because Theon would recognize them.

I doubt it's Benjen, unless he's there on Bloodraven's orders if he found the children and is now working with them.

Personally I'm expecting a total surprise where the Hooded Man is concerned-no Howland, no Blackfish. The man came across as pretty ruthless and amoral from what I remember-I don't think his personality fits with either of those 3 possibilities.

I don't think it's the Blackfish for two reasons:

1. Theon has seen him before and knows what he looks like and sounds like. He would recognize him.

You know, on reread it never is said nor is it implied that Theon didnt recognize the hooded man. In fact he is comfortable enough with him to remove his glove. Even if he is too far gone to recognize a known face he at least has some feeling of trust and the HM at least doesnt spit on him.

Archived