*spoilers* season 3 endings *spoilers*

DornishHighlander

I would place large sums of money toward the PW being a couple episodes into season 4. The whole point of splitting ASoS into two seasons was so they could slow things down and put more emphasis on character/plot development, including those from ACoK that weren't present in season 2. The RW occurs about 2/3 of the way through ASoS, which sounds about right for it being near the end of season 3 since some of the Robb/Cat storyline was moved up into season 2. Having the PW in season 3 as well basically forces the show to move at the same breakneck pace of season 2, especially since the King's Landing storyline hasn't been moved ahead at all, which defeats the purpose of the splitting into two seasons.

That being said, I think it's better to end season 3 with stunned viewers wondering what's going to happen to the remaining Starks since their hopes of winning the war were shattered in the RW rather than have those emotions of despair dampened by the joy that woud be experienced with the PW right after. Furthermore, I think the PW is an event that should be played up by the show as an extraodinary affair for the victorious Lannisters, after all it'll be the union of the two most powerful houses and essentially mark the end of the war, gloating after the RW, etc. So there should be an episode or two preceding it, showing the frenzy that King's Landing is in with the Tyrells feeding the starving populous, the exotic Martells (who aren't going to be in season 3, by the looks of it) arriving for the proceedings, etc. They need to make it appear to be the 'dawn of a new era' that it was supposed to be, and then to the bewilderment of everyone, Joffrey dies.

In the end, it's just so much better from a pacing standpoint, having the two biggest events in the book in their own separate seasons in order to maximize their respective repurcussions.

In the end, it's just so much better from a pacing standpoint, having the two biggest events in the book in their own separate seasons in order to maximize their respective repurcussions.

The RW is going to have more repercussion if it's unexpected. It won't be unexpected if it's placed at episodes 9 or 10. The viewer will know that there's no time to show Robb's campaign to take back the North, and they know there'll be some bick shoking event. It's easy to predict.

That said, and while I'd certainly end the season with the PW, I'm convinced D&D will end with the RW. It'll make for a better third season. We'll have time to rearrange events in S4 to make it work afterwards.

I think the Red Wedding will be episode 9, with Arya in 10 heading off to Braavos.

Joffrey will be around for the 4 season and probably meet his fate in the beginning of the season.

The Red Viper will be in the 9th episode of of Season 4 along with Tyriion

Season 4/ Episode 10 will end with Lady Stoneheart.

To all those wanting the Purple Wedding as the end of Season 3, what is left for Tyrion in Season 4? Hell, what is left for him through ADwD? When Peter Dinklage is your headlining actor, you have to keep his screentime in mind.

Delaying the Purple Wedding gives you an extra episode or two at the most of screentime for Tyrion, which is really not worth leaving a whole storyline without a climax. Not a lot happens in King's Landing before the Purple Wedding, anyway.

To all those wanting the Purple Wedding as the end of Season 3, what is left for Tyrion in Season 4? Hell, what is left for him through ADwD? When Peter Dinklage is your headlining actor, you have to keep his screentime in mind.

1. If I where the showrunner, my main concern wouldn't be to give any headlining actor any given screentime. I would let the needs of the story dictate my decisions, not external considerations. Jaime was the main antagonist in season 1 and has been out of sight for most season 2, and works well enough.

2. If they follow the plot of the books, no season will have as much Tyrion as Season 2. If the number of chapters are an indication (I think they can be), AGOT (S1) had 9 Tyrion chapters and ACOK (S2) had 15 Tyrion chapters. But ASOS (that will be divided in two seasons) have 11 Tyrion chapters, and between AFFC and ADWD only 12 Tyrion chapters. The importance of Tyrion in the plot will decrease, like it or not.

3. That said, even if my season 4 would be "low profile" on Tyrion, we could stillhave a scene with him in most of the episodes. The book already has interesting debates with Kevan, Bronn and Oberyn. But many people in KL could visit the dwarf at the black cells: Cersei, Tywin, the Queen of Thornes, Jaime,... And of course, by mid season we would start the trial (an episode full of Tyrion), Oberyn's duel (another episode where he'd participate a lot) and Jaime's confrontation/Tywin's death at the finale.

1. If I where the showrunner, my main concern wouldn't be to give any headlining actor any given screentime. I would let the needs of the story dictate my decisions, not external considerations. Jaime was the main antagonist in season 1 and has been out of sight for most season 2, and works well enough.

That's a nice optimistic way to look at it, but in the real world, contractual obligations are important.

2. If they follow the plot of the books, no season will have as much Tyrion as Season 2. If the number of chapters are an indication (I think they can be), AGOT (S1) had 9 Tyrion chapters and ACOK (S2) had 15 Tyrion chapters. But ASOS (that will be divided in two seasons) have 11 Tyrion chapters, and between AFFC and ADWD only 12 Tyrion chapters. The importance of Tyrion in the plot will decrease, like it or not.

By this logic, Daenerys shouldn't have been covered very much in Season 2, with her mere 5 chapters. If you don't try to stretch out the action that is in the books, you get shitty changes like Qarth was this year. Emilia Clarke's contract required more screentime, and she got it, to the detriment of Dany's plot.

3. That said, even if my season 4 would be "low profile" on Tyrion, we could stillhave a scene with him in most of the episodes. The book already has interesting debates with Kevan, Bronn and Oberyn. But many people in KL could visit the dwarf at the black cells: Cersei, Tywin, the Queen of Thornes, Jaime,... And of course, by mid season we would start the trial (an episode full of Tyrion), Oberyn's duel (another episode where he'd participate a lot) and Jaime's confrontation/Tywin's death at the finale.

Which will make for a poor season for the show's (likely) two-time Emmy winner.

We can have the show follow the plot closely and drag some characters' storylines out, or we can get the Qarth treatment when their storylines don't have enough action in them for their allotted screen time. There is no middle ground.

To everyone who is so sure they will end season 3 with RW.......sorry, but NO WAY IN HELL they're doing that

Episode 8 or 9? Yes, absolute shoe-in. RW and perhaps even more so, the Arya scene that follows (if they treat it like a cliffhanger) is going to hit the non-readers like a ton of bricks. Hell it's going to hit us readers pretty hard still. We think we're ready for it, but when the time comes, it's gonna hurt all over again. They would never end a season with something so sad and depressing. Never

And to those saying they can't end it with PW, because not enough happens in Kings Landing to fill up season 4 afterwards, again I strongly disagree. A few reasons

- There is plenty to do in Kings Landing after PW. Tyrions sentencing, his trial; Jaimes return, Jaime's scenes with Cersei, his father, Tyrion, Loras and Brienne; Tyrions scenes in the cell with Varys; The Red Vipers fight with Ser Gregor, Tyrions last scene with Varys, Jaime, Shae and his epic confrontation with Tywin

- There is nothing stopping them from using some of Feast For Crows or Dance With Dragons towards the end of season four

- There will be added scenes. Lots of things could be shown to have happened after Joffrey's death that weren't elaborated on in the books, involving Cersei, Jaime, Tywin, Loras, Margery, Varys, Pycelle etc.

With that said, I think PW would make a PERFECT ending for season 3. People want to go out on a high note. Something emotionally stirring, not draining and depressing. Seeing such a hated character like Joffrey choke to death will have people jumping off their couches and cheering out loud. It will feel like vengence for RW that will still be plenty fresh in their heads and will be the just desserts for a character universally reviled by readers and non-readers alike

I think it WILL be the last scene of season 3. With Cersei screaming in agony; Sansa slinking off in the background; Tyrion standing over Joff, dumbfounded; Cersei pointing up at Tyrion "YOU DID THIS!!! Seize HIM!!!!" One more shot of Tyrions shocked face and bam, credits roll

That would so epic

Garlan Marius,

I think we essentialy agree here. Season 3 would work betters if it ended with the PW, but it seems that it may end with the RW because of external considerations: contracts, the need to give more screentime to the most recognizable faces or the emmy-awarded actors, etc.

However, It's not that I'm entirely opposed to those external considerations. The problem with the "Qarth treatment" was not to expand Dany's story and make up some additional plots. I actually think that that was a good decision. The problem is that the added story was terribly weak. There are more examples: the roles of Charles Dance and Jerome Flint were expanded, and everyone is happy with it.

And I'd still say that a number of interviews in the cells, a public trial, a death duel and an escape with murder included is better more material than what Dinklage may got at a Season 3 where all he does is marrying Sansa and assist to Joffrey's wedding.

For all wo believe PW will be in season 3, look at it this way: we have 10 episodes RW and PW each will need one entire episode, so there would be only 8 episodes left for 3/4 of ASoS, for Brans, Aryas, Jons, Danys, Robbs, Davos and Jaimes storyline and the events in KL until the RW, isn't that much or?

My thoughts on how best to depict the story within the show:

1st Episode-

• Dany saved from assassination attempt when she arrives in Astapor by "Arstan Whitebeard."
  • Bran, Rickon, Osha, and Hodor meet up with Jojen and Meera Reed on the road from Winterfell. Osha and Rickon leave the group to go to Skagos, and Bran, Hodor and the Reeds begin heading for the Wall to find the Three Eyed Crow.
  • Jon Snow meets Mance Rayder in the Wildling Camp.
  • Robb Stark meets up with Edmure Tully, Brynden "Blackfish" Tully and Hoster Tully in the Riverlands. They draw up battle plans.
  • Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie, having escaped from Harrenhal, visit an inn and are caught by the Brotherhood Without Banners.
  • Brienne and Jaime keep on walkin' and have a chit chat about the values of Knighthood.
  • Sansa meets the Tyrell family, tells 'em that Joffrey is not a friendly chap, experiences yet some more abuse at the hands of that charming young regal rascal, and it's all very moving (Sansa just grow a pair, kick him in the boll****, and give that kid something to chat about with Varys).

2nd Episode-

• sh** goes down at the Fist of the First Men. And it don't involve fis****. Night's Watch people die, the Old Bear and Sam flee with some others for Craster's Keep.
  • Dany hangs out in Astapor, we maybe hear Quaithe's prophecy, introduced to the Unsullied in all their badassery.
  • Bran, Hodor (HODOR), and the Reeds keep on walking. Bran and Jojen have a lovely heart to heart about being the wimpy magical dreamy kid. Bran practises being a warg.
  • Jon gets some SALLY-ON-THE-SIDE when he and Ygritte git it awn.
  • Robb does some more shtuff in the Riverlands (yawn), maybe hangs out with his wife Talisa (who is Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter, WHOA?), we see that the Freys are more than a tad miffed and leave his army.
  • Brienne and Jaime get caught by the Brave Companions, start being taken to Harrenhal.
  • More stuff with Sansa. It's very interesting.
  • Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie start being taken to Lord Beric Dondarrion.

3rd Episode

• Bran, Hodor (HODOR) and co still walking to the Wall.
  • Sam and the Old Bear and the rest walking to Craster's Keep. Sam falls behind with Small Paul and Grenn, attacked by Other, Small Paul killed, Sam kills the Other.
  • Dany havin' a guhreat time in Astapor. More about the Unsullied, they start talking about buying them. She sees just how rubbish being a slave is.
  • Robb/Talisa in the Riverlands (YAWN). Robb wins some battle or other.
  • Brienne and Jaime with the Brave Companions. Jaime reveals why he killed Aerys.
  • Sansa hangs out with Margaery. More (sob) stuff with Joffrey being a meanie. Sansa betrothed to Tyrion.

4th Episode-

• Sam Tarly, the Old Bear, the Night's Watch survivors reach Craster's Keep. Sam is known as "Sam the Slayer."
  • Jon meets loads of Wildlings, hangs out. He and Mance have a chat at the Fist of the First Men. Mance orders him to scale the wall with the others.
  • Bran and co still walking.
  • Dany offers to buy the Unsullied by selling Drogon. She double-crosses the slaver and frees the Unsullied, conquering Astapor and freeing the slaves.
  • Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie taken to the tunnels in the Hill, they meet Lord Beric Dondarrion who talks about the BWB and resurrection and being a zombie and stuff. He duels the Hound and loses, the Hound walks free.
  • Jaime has his hand chopped off by Vargo Hoat at Harrenhal.
  • Robb Stark executes Rickon Karstark for murdering captives, the Karstarks ditch him.

5th Episode-

• Theon Greyjoy wakes up in a dungeon somewhere. He is being humongously tortured by Ramsay Bolton (played by IWAN RHEON FROM MISFITS. YEAHHHH).
  • Asha Greyjoy takes Deepwood Motte.
  • Jaime and Brienne hang out in Harrenhal- Qyburn tries to heal Jaime's hand. Roose Bolton meets Jaime there, they have a chat. Roose is creepy like no one else can be.
  • The BWB prepare to attack Harrenhal with Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie.
  • Bran is boring.
  • Robb is boring.
  • Tyrion and Sansa get MARREHD.

6th Episode-

• Sam's buddies get a bit hungry and kill all their friends at Craster's Keep. Craster and the Old Bear are slain, the loyal brothers flee for the Wall, Sam legs it with Gilly and her kid. Undead Zombie Small Paul comes at Sam in the wilderness and Sam sets him on fire, Sam about to be killed by the other Wights before Coldhands (someone get this guy some gloves.) jumps in and saves him astride a Mighty Moose.
  • Jon and his Wildling buddies scale the Wall. They get over.
  • Sansa and Tyrion are borring. Littlefinger works his plans to bust her outta there.
  • Roose Bolton commands Vargo to let Jaime go. Jaime rescues Brienne from a bear in the Harrenhal bear pit. VERY cute.
  • Robb Stark gets word from Walder Frey that "s'all good" but has to marry his uncey Edmure to Rosalind Frey to make up. And that's it. No hard feelings. It's cool. It's not like... We're gonna... they're gonna KILL YOU or nuffin. Robb hears about Winterfell burning and Theon being a nasteh guy. Starts preparing to head back North, and to marry his uncle to the Frey girl.
  • BWB and Arya get ready to attack Harrenhal.
  • Bran is boring.
  • Dany and her Unsullied begin marching for Yunkai.

7th Episode-

• Dany and her Unsullied besiege Yunkai. Introduced to Daario Nahaaris and Meero, the Titan's Bastard. Daario kills his friends and joins her, big battle fought. Dany states her terms to Yunkai. Yunkai surrenders and hands over their slaves.
  • Tyrion and Sansa have a frosteh marriage. Littlefinger tells Sansa to wear a special veil at the Baratheon/Tyrell marriage.
  • Jaime and Brienne keep heading for King's Landing
  • Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie and the BWB attack Harrenhal and take it. Arya captured by the Hound and taken away.
  • Robb and his army, along with Catelyn and Edmure Tully head for the Twins for the Tully-Frey Wedding. MUAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • Bran and co meet Samwell Tarly and Gilly at the Wall, Sam tells them about Coldhands and shows them how to get through the wall to the lands North of the Wall.
  • Jon escapes from the Wildling band when Summer starts eating them. He heads for the Night's Watch to warn them.

8th Episode-

• THE BIG ONE. The Red Wedding goes down. *Sniff*.
  • Jon reaches the Night's Watch.
  • Dany looks at Meereen. Damn that's hard to take.
  • Bran and co walking North of the Wall for the One Eyed Crow, meet Coldhands.
  • Arya and the Hound have a long long journey to the Twins, finally see the Stark Army encampment and begin heading for it.
  • Theon still being tortured horribly by Ramsay.
  • Sam returns to the Night's Watch with Gilly and her kid, tends to Jon.
  • Jaime and Brienne and Jaimey and Briennish.

9th Episode-

• Jon fights at the Battle for Castle Black, Ygritte killed. Very sad.
  • The Frey men swarm out of the Twins and kill everybody, the Hound beats Arya on the back of the head with an axe to incapacitate her and escape.
  • King's Landing people hear about the Red Wedding. Very sad for Sansa.
  • Tyrell-Baratheon wedding preparations take place.
  • Bran and co and Coldhands walkin' along, headed for the Three Eyed Crow.
  • Jaime and Brienne are boring.
  • Dany has attempt on her life by Meero, Meero defeated by "Arstan Whitebeard" and killed. "Arstan Whitebeard" revealed to be Barristan Selmy, and Jorah Mormont revealed to be a spy. Dany is miffed. She sends them on a suicide mission into Meereen's sewers.

Last Episode-

• Jon Snow and Castle Black's Survivors try to repair the damage from the Wildling attack, they hear two blasts on the Horn for Wildlings approaching. They climb to the top of the Wall and see Mance Rayder's immense horde in front of them. Get ready for the humongous Helm's Deep-esque battle NEXT SERIES!
  • Ser Jorah and Barristan Selmy somehow took Meereen on their suicide mission. She keeps Ser Barristan but has to exile Ser Jorah. She bangs Daario. Bow Chigga Bow Wow Bow Bow.
  • Jaime and Brienne are boring.
  • Arya wakes up with a bit of a bruised head from the Hound's kerplunking of it with an axe. She's miffed. She and the Hound are attacked by some Lannister men in a pub. The Hound is grievously wounded after killing a bunch of 'em. Arya saves his life by killing a Lannister guard herself. The Hound is dying in a wood.
  • Lord Beric Dondarrion and his men find dead Catelyn Stark washed up on the shore of the Trident. Thoros of Myr refuses to resurrect her, so Lord Dondarrion gives her the kiss of life. He dies, and the magical life energy is sucked out of him and put in Catelyn. Lady Stoneheart's eyes snap open.
  • At the Baratheon-Tyrell Wedding, Joffrey and Tyrion have a big argument, Joffrey mocks Tyrion and hurls wine in his face. At the end of the episode, Joffrey drinks a huge gulp from his wine glass and suddenly begins choking, a silence falls over the crowd as the King claws desperately at his throat, an imploring, terrified look in his eyes as he scrabbles at the table and dies in his mother's arms.

SERIES 3

I really hope for RW in ep. 8. It just makes the most sense.

Not sure what to make of the news that Michelle MacLaren will direct 7 and 8 though... I think her work in Breaking Bad is up there with the best television I've ever seen, but wasn't D&D supposed to direct one episode this season, with everyone guessing it was the RW? At the moment they have other directors for 7-10.

Michelle MacLaren directing RW would be absolutely amazing though.

His trial, his escape, his journey though Essos to get to Dany. Frankly at this point there isn't much for Tyrion to do because his father is back in KL and has all the power...all there is for Tyrion to do this upcoming season is marry Sansa if there is no PW...so for all those of you concerned with tyrion getting stuff to do in season 4 and beyond...why not the same concern for season 3? Tyrion is a very ineffectual character in SOS precisely because he isn't a mover and a shaker anymore. He starts to shake things up again when he escapes. From now until then in the story he is just a small piece to be moved around by his father. Frankly I don't think the audience will like Tyrion wallowing in self-pity for two seasons, which is all he would be doing if they stick only to SOS. And the plot for Robb and Catelyn is already about 1/3 of the way through their SOS story.

ETA: Oh and since you brought up contractual obligations...since Jack Gleason (Joffrey) wants to quit acting it would seem better to have him and his contract end with season 3 instead of signing him on for one or two episodes in Season 4. Because that is all you would be gaining by having the PW in season 4...maybe an episode or two and are still going to get most of the season with Tyrion behind bars. Doing both the purple and red weddings allows them to knock off three main character contracts and leaves room for the other characters who will need to start showing up for the second leg of the story (War of the Five Kings was the first).

Garlan Marius,

I think we essentialy agree here. Season 3 would work betters if it ended with the PW, but it seems that it may end with the RW because of external considerations: contracts, the need to give more screentime to the most recognizable faces or the emmy-awarded actors, etc.

However, It's not that I'm entirely opposed to those external considerations. The problem with the "Qarth treatment" was not to expand Dany's story and make up some additional plots. I actually think that that was a good decision. The problem is that the added story was terribly weak. There are more examples: the roles of Charles Dance and Jerome Flint were expanded, and everyone is happy with it.

And I'd still say that a number of interviews in the cells, a public trial, a death duel and an escape with murder included is better more material than what Dinklage may got at a Season 3 where all he does is marrying Sansa and assist to Joffrey's wedding.

If they can make it work, more power to them. I'd add Natalia Tena to "changes for the better," as well. But the track record with major character arcs (Qarth, as stated) isn't great. If they can do Tyrion's prison time as well as Nikolaj Coster-Waldeau did Jaime's, I'd be happy. The bigger problem is the lack of things for Sophie Turner and Aiden Gillen to do in the Vale.

So, I have strong reason to believe the RW will be in season 3 because I was just reading the cast listing for GoT. Every main character has renewed contracts and are listed as 2011-2013, except Richard Madden(Robb Stark) is only 2011-2012. This is most likely because his time with the GoT crew is cut short in Season 3. :frown5:

The real question is, which episode will it be in? I'm going to go ahead and guess episode 9, giving the viewers and episode to try and sate our anger.

I question this myself but if notthere would be no "great moment" in this season like ned's death in season 1 or the battle of blackwater in season 2

Archived