Where is Daenerys going?

LaroC

It's not. There's a collection of maps out (The Land of Ice and Fire) that shows the whole "known" world, including Asshai. While it's located somewhat southeast of Qarth, it's still very much in the northern hemisphere. The Shadowlands also stretch northeast of Asshai, but never even reach the Shivering Sea.

I assume you have seen the maps. How do you know that asshai is in the northern hemisphere. Do the maps include lines of latitude and longitude?

Even so, it's not a COMPLETE world map, no. The idea was to do something representing the lands and seas of which, say, a maester of the Citadel might be aware... and while the maesters know more about Asshai and the lands beyond than a medieval monk knew about Cathay, distance remains a factor, and past a certain point legends and myths will creep here. Here there be winged men, and such"

Also, I found the previous quote from GRRM on http://grrm.livejournal.com/297016.html The maps in the map book may not be entirely trustworthy in the region were talking about. Is "The Shadow" or some similar title found on any of the maps in the map book?

I assume you have seen the maps. How do you know that asshai is in the northern hemisphere. Do the maps include lines of latitude and longitude?

There are no lines, but it's very easy to tell nonetheless.

The maps in the map book may not be entirely trustworthy in the region were talking about. Is "The Shadow" or some similar title found on any of the maps in the map book?

That probably refers to things like names, and what kind people live there, not the location of a city that is regularly visited by traders, though.

As I said earlier, the Shadowlands are an area to the northeast of Asshai, but they don't stretch into the polar regions.

Many posters seem to forget the “to go west, you have to go east” part. I agree that it seems quite plausible that Dany is next going to Vaes Dothrak, humiliate the crones, collect a couple khalasaars, and then go south again (“go north to go south”). But if she were to return to Meereen and embark to Westeros from there, she would not exactly have gone east first.

(Unless that part has long been fulfilled with her going to Qarth … but I’m putting this thought on hold for the moment.)

So, I think she might return to Qarth with the riders. Because Xaro Xoan Daxos is not dealt with yet. And because there are ships in Qarth.

After all, the easy assumption that Victarion is going to provide ships might not work out. For one, Dany might very well no want to ally herself with him. Especially if he steals her dragons. Or if he just leaves (with one or two dragons) before Dany returns to Meereen. If so, Dany might go get some ships in Qarth.

(The “to touch the light, you have to pass under the shadow” part is opaque to me. People focus on the shadow, but what is the light in the first place?)

There are no lines, but it's very easy to tell nonetheless.

If you saw a map of Australia, would you be able to tell if it was in the north or south hemisphere?

Not that it matters really. We don't know how accurate the map is anyway so all of this is just guess work.

I'd like to see her "conquest" of Westeros fail horribly, her Dragons going nuts on a killing rampage causing all to despise and fear her, and her armies betraying her but for some Iron Born, Unsullied and brave Dothraki who go across to Westeros only to die of cold in the snows of the North, and have Stannis crush her entire plans, then force her to marry him.

Then she visits Jon Snow, a pale shadow of his former self, and they all work to resurrect him somehow. Then he rejects Kingship of the Seven Kingdoms despite learning his true identity – choosing the wall once again. Stannis and Danaerys march south and utterly crucify Fakeypants Aegon while Jon battles the True Enemy with both Dragon Horn and Lightbringer (Sword of Dawn) with Tyrion's support.

BOOM.

(None of this will happen).

If you saw a map of Australia, would you be able to tell if it was in the north or south hemisphere?

If the same map contained other landmasses that are known to be in the northern or southern hemisphere, yes.

Simply put: Asshai is in the same hemisphere as Qarth, just as Braavos is in the same hemisphere as Gulltown.

Dany is going back to Vaes Dothrak to take command of all the khalasars. The vision of the naked crones emerging from a lake is a good indicator. Where would you hide if there was a giant fire-breathing dragon tearing up your city? The old crones are naming Dany mother and the khalasars will fall in line. What she will do with them is anyone's guess. Free all the slaves in Essos? Head straight for Meereen? Head to Westeros? Who knows at this point.

I also think the Dothraki will have a warrior's respect for a Dragon-mounted ex-Khaleesi with fire-proof Targaryen blood. In their primitive minds they probably see Dragons as the ultimate horses (Stallion of Fire or something).

Also, Mago has it coming to him... BAD.

Let's read what I actually said and not just take things out of context shall we?

I also think the Dothraki will have a warrior's respect for a Dragon-mounted ex-Khaleesi with fire-proof Targaryen blood. In their primitive minds they probably see Dragons as the ultimate horses (Stallion of Fire or something).

Understand?! I am saying that the Dothraki believe, for all intents and purposes, that Dany has magic blood, possibly even shits lightening and fireballs! I wasn't speaking of Targs in general. If I was, it'd seem odd how Viserys was scorched alive by his Golden Crown.

I'm specifically referencing the "Dany Miracle" that many Dothraki witnessed, where she actually shows "fire-proof blood" – and how that probably comes across to a race mystical, brutish conquering savages. Who again, if you'd understood what I wrote, may in time believe that Drogon is a "Stallion" Who Mounts the World.

I didn't intend to say Targaryens have fire-proof blood. You're just nitpicking.

First to clarify my thoughts on Dany's Dragons (it's fairly standard):

Rhaego --> blood-sacrificed for --> Drogo --> fire-sacrificed for --> Drogon

Drogon possibly has the soul of Drogo and Rhaego (plus: "stallion heart" magic; stallion sacrifice + "dark spirits") combined, because Rhaego was killed by blood magic keeping alive Drogo – Dany is mother to one, lover to the other. Drogon is the largest and most aggressive dragon, black and fierce like Balerion. He defends her many times and they are psychically bound.

Daenerys is Mother of Dragons. Drogon is probably the Stallion Who Mounts the World. But I still think Dany's going to die!

Viserys --> dead, named to --> Viserion

Rhaegar --> dead, named to --> Rhaegal

The maegi dies only to spare Daenerys. Life for life. So that "accounts for" her fire miracle. Also worth noting that Ser Barristan thinks Rhaegal more dangerous than Viserion. (Because Viserys was a total sissypants!)

So, in WoW she'll either take Khal Jhaqo's khalasar by brute force, or the Dothraki will be in awe and eventually go over to her – and she'll roast Mago alive. I wonder who Dany will take as khal, if any, as I doubt her new khalasar would follow just a khaleesi for long, even if they bought into the prophecy.

My question is: What will become of Viserion and Rhaegal?

First to clarify my thoughts on Dany's Dragons (it's fairly standard):

Rhaego --> blood-sacrificed for --> Drogo --> fire-sacrificed for --> Drogon

Drogon possibly has the soul of Drogo and Rhaego (plus: "stallion heart" magic; stallion sacrifice + "dark spirits") combined, because Rhaego was killed by blood magic keeping alive Drogo – Dany is mother to one, lover to the other. Drogon is the largest and most aggressive dragon, black and fierce like Balerion. He defends her many times and they are psychically bound.

Daenerys is Mother of Dragons. Drogon is probably the Stallion Who Mounts the World. But I still think Dany's going to die!

Nice points, but it may be that Rhaego's spirit/soul was passed to Drogo in the blood sacrifice while Drogo's spirit/soul had already passed on. So basically Drogo's body became a vessel for Rhaego's soul. So, in the fire sacrifice it was Rhaego's life force/Spirit/Soul WHATEVER that was passed on to Drogon and so this makes Dany truly the 'Mother of Dragons.' Instead of having two souls stuffed in one body tis only one! :) I'm sure both theories make a bit of sense, just this one is 1 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 if you get me :D

Archived