Where is Daenerys going?

LaroC

What might happen is that Danny never reaches Meereen in time for the battle, while Victarion manages to skyjack her dragons. Then she will return to fight the Volantine fleet and will do so just before Barry/Tyrion will lose the battle. She will come on Drogon with a khalasar behind her and will burn shit to the ground untill Volantis swears her fealty. Then she takes what remains of the Volantine ships in order to chase Victarion and her "children" (her dragons). This would also be a push for her to go to Westeros.

I think she has to start making some serious moves towards Westeros soon, as otherwise I can see see GRRM getting bogged down in Essos for even longer, I think she has to be on Westeros soil by the end of WoW.

I hope she will be.

What might happen is that Danny never reaches Meereen in time for the battle, while Victarion manages to skyjack her dragons. Then she will return to fight the Volantine fleet and will do so just before Barry/Tyrion will lose the battle. She will come on Drogon with a khalasar behind her and will burn shit to the ground untill Volantis swears her fealty. Then she takes what remains of the Volantine ships in order to chase Victarion and her "children" (her dragons). This would also be a push for her to go to Westeros.

Interesting idea. I wouldn't mind if that happened actually. :)

I think Dany might spark upheaval in any number of places, including Yunkai, Pentos and Volantis. But given her experience in Meereen, I doubt that she herself will rule any of those places: she could just as easily throw her support behind the Tattered Prince and Benerro to seize power for themselves. (This would also make the events take up less space in the books--the fall of Pentos could take place entirely offscreen.)

Incidently, the fact we aren't even 2/3 through Martin's original plan is the reason I'm convinced there'll be at LEAST three more books.

I think that's suspect reasoning. While I'm sure that GRRM still intends to hit all the major plot points that were in his original plan--and I think the foreshadowing of unGregor and Quentyn's fall in A Game of Thrones bears this out--there's no reason to believe that all of those events will still happen in the same order that GRRM planned back then.

In fact, that's antithetical to how GRRM says that he writes the series. He keeps insisting that he knows where he's going, but not all the stops that he's going to make along the way. While he was writing A Dance With Dragons, he mentioned in a blog post that he had shuffled the events of the novel dozens of times to see what works best. It seems reasonable to believe that he's similarly shuffled the order of events in the series as a whole. GRRM is not an author who rigidly sticks to a plan.

And there are a number of ways in which he might have done so. For example, in the original outline Aegon and Daenerys might have invaded Westeros together. Having Aegon go alone will lead to many of the early events of "Dany's conquest" to take place without Dany herself being there. Similarly, events in the North, in Braavos, and in the Vale might have been moved forward to before Dany's landing. I'm just speculating, because nobody's seen GRRM's original outline, but I think there's much more reason to think that the plan was revised substantially to keep Dany overseas longer than to think that there's still three-plus more books to come.

I think Dany might spark upheaval in any number of places, including Yunkai, Pentos and Volantis. But given her experience in Meereen, I doubt that she herself will rule any of those places: she could just as easily throw her support behind the Tattered Prince and Benerro to seize power for themselves. (This would also make the events take up less space in the books--the fall of Pentos could take place entirely offscreen.)

I think that's suspect reasoning. While I'm sure that GRRM still intends to hit all the major plot points that were in his original plan--and I think the foreshadowing of unGregor and Quentyn's fall in A Game of Thrones bears this out--there's no reason to believe that all of those events will still happen in the same order that GRRM planned back then.

In fact, that's antithetical to how GRRM says that he writes the series. He keeps insisting that he knows where he's going, but not all the stops that he's going to make along the way. While he was writing A Dance With Dragons, he mentioned in a blog post that he had shuffled the events of the novel dozens of times to see what works best. It seems reasonable to believe that he's similarly shuffled the order of events in the series as a whole. GRRM is not an author who rigidly sticks to a plan.

And there are a number of ways in which he might have done so. For example, in the original outline Aegon and Daenerys might have invaded Westeros together. Having Aegon go alone will lead to many of the early events of "Dany's conquest" to take place without Dany herself being there. Similarly, events in the North, in Braavos, and in the Vale might have been moved forward to before Dany's landing. I'm just speculating, because nobody's seen GRRM's original outline, but I think there's much more reason to think that the plan was revised substantially to keep Dany overseas longer than to think that there's still three-plus more books to come.

Not to mention that the Dragons needed time to grow to make her invasion realistic. So that lead to lots of shuffling I am sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Daenerys is the subject of a lot of much deserved scorn, especially after her vacation in Mereen. But this was done mostly because George needed to figure out a way to get Tyrion, Victarion, and Jorah back in the picture. I have a feeling that her story is going to really take off in TWOW, and might be as enthralling as it was in A Storm of Swords. Remember that Daenerys? She was pretty cool, right? She has to go east, whether or not it's on Drogon's back, with the Iron Fleet and a gigantic khalasar behind her. I need to see this Shadow over Asshai and whatever's going on over there. It would be much more interesting that her just traveling west to Volantis or Pentos, someplace we've seen before. I know I have high hopes, but I do believe that the Mad Queen Daenerys' journey to Westeros will be interesting enough and that her eventual invasion will be very fun.

I think you're correct.

I've been getting frustrated with how stagnant her story line has become, but i believe she's on the verge of some big stuff. Hopefully going to Westeros soon

I saw that someone above mentioned this briefly, but I had a realization that caused me to register just to post this:

"Go East to go West"

I was thinking about my frustration that Dany is so far away from Westeros - and only getting farther since the series began. But then it occurred to me: she's actually getting closer, just going the long way around the globe.

With only two books to go, why shouldn't we expect Dany to get to Westeros soon?

I think she will cross and land on the eastern shore of Westeros...maybe at Sea Dragon Point?

I saw that someone above mentioned this briefly, but I had a realization that caused me to register just to post this:

"Go East to go West"

I was thinking about my frustration that Dany is so far away from Westeros - and only getting farther since the series began. But then it occurred to me: she's actually getting closer, just going the long way around the globe.

With only two books to go, why shouldn't we expect Dany to get to Westeros soon?

I think she will cross and land on the eastern shore of Westeros...maybe at Sea Dragon Point?

With everyone expecting her to come in from the Free Cities, she'll swoop in to the east of Westeros by passing through the Shadow Lands, or maybe she takes these hints figuratively and comes the way everyone expects her to.. Quite sure I've seen that she doesn't ever come through Asshai, a place I think she has to come through if she really is going further east to get to the west

Slightly off topic of where Dany is going, but I want to highlight the stark contrast between the Dothraki and the Ironborn. Could two cultures be more different? This being the case, I don't see it as a mere coincidence that Dany is the focal point for the convergence of these two cultures. Where will her allegiances truly lie when she decides where she fancies fluttering off to next? Victarion has ships and the horn, but the Dothraki are her people.

I'm just sandboxing this idea, so... thoughts?

Slightly off topic of where Dany is going, but I want to highlight the stark contrast between the Dothraki and the Ironborn. Could two cultures be more different? This being the case, I don't see it as a mere coincidence that Dany is the focal point for the convergence of these two cultures. Where will her allegiances truly lie when she decides where she fancies fluttering off to next? Victarion has ships and the horn, but the Dothraki are her people.

I'm just sandboxing this idea, so... thoughts?

I can't see her betraying the Dothraki or leaving them or anything like that. They are, as you said, her people.

IDK, but as long as she stops being an Indecisive ho-bag ill be happy. She was my fav character, but she regressed. Maybe loosing Jorah didnt help her cause, but ser grandad does ball out.

I predict shes gonna take over that kahlasar and take them with Drogon and destroy her enemies at meereen. I don't know how Victorians storyline fits into this, except maybe she uses those ships to get the f out of slavers bay. Taking the Unsullied, Some sell swords, and maybe the Kahlasar.

How will tyrion, fit into this IDK.

This storyline prolly gonna take george a long ass time to get written hahaha

I think she will go Asshai to learn magic, currently her only speciality apart from exceptional brooding on the past and self-pity is the immunity or resistance to direct contact with fire, altough hot subtances and materials burn her nontheless (like the chared horsemeat). She can't fight with any weapon, can't rule (should have dealt with the Sons of the Harpy sonner and in a more decisive way, not letting the innocents be slaughtered by the dozens) and can't even control the blasted dragons unless they pity her enough to follow a few orders.

Seriously what baffles me about what GRRM did to her is if Victarion's horn DOES work then she becomes kind of obsolete in the grand sceme of things. Since the lords may flock to the name Targaryen but the Greyjoys will have the dragons to take the land by force.

Archived