Where is Daenerys going?

LaroC

• 3 weeks later...

i think the two dragons will get to westeros first with greyjoy. but he loses them. dany and drogon will follow with one united dothraki khalasar plus a few sellsword companies. they will sweep after aegon keeps chipping away at westerosi armies.

I think that after she retrieves her Khalasar and fights the battle of Mereen, she's going to go to Valyria. I think that's what it means in the prophecy by "to go forward you must go back". She'll be the first Targ to go back home since the doom because there's got to be something she can learn there about controlling the dragons. There was all that talk in ADwD about how only the magic of Old Valyria could control them. Otherwise, there's no way the dragons can be used to defeat the Others.

I think that after she retrieves her Khalasar and fights the battle of Mereen, she's going to go to Valyria. I think that's what it means in the prophecy by "to go forward you must go back". She'll be the first Targ to go back home since the doom because there's got to be something she can learn there about controlling the dragons. There was all that talk in ADwD about how only the magic of Old Valyria could control them. Otherwise, there's no way the dragons can be used to defeat the Others.

'To go back', go to Valyria, I never thought of that.

Well , it's known some of Old Valyria left, does not George say it is dangerous to go there?

But then Dany is is some fraction Valyrian, do we know how much?

She had an instinct of how to control Drogon, so maybe she has quite a bit of Valyrian blood.

Methinks that is an adventure Tyrion would beg to go on.

I would think she would take only a small party.

I agree that Dany has an instinct on how to control Drogon but the other two dragons are a different matter, especially since "the dragon has three heads". So whoever controls the other two dragons is going to need to learn what Dany knows.

Plus, Dany's just now learning to control Drogon and isn't an expert (although she's clearly better than anyone else on the matter!). She definitely needs to learn more if she's going to win the seven kingdoms back.

And there's the little matter of the Others to deal with.

Also, it is mentioned several times that anyone who goes close to Valyria dies which is why people avoid it but I don't think it's mentioned that anyone has tried to go to Valyria for a long time. So it might be safer now than before. If the Doom was a volcanic eruption as many think it was, then it makes sense that it was dangerous to go there because of the residue toxic gases. Perhaps those gases are dispersed enough to go there now.

This is all speculations, of course, but my gut tells me there's something to it.

I just feel like she's taken so long to get her shit together that when she finally makes it to the 7 kingdoms it will no longer be about a conquest. I mean is there really enough time for Danny to conquer the seven kingdoms and then fight the others? The others will be tearing the realm apart by the time she makes it back. Of course, Jon could be dealing with the others (if he's still alive) while Danny reclaims the throne, but I don't think that's how things will play out. If Danny comes to Westeros as a savior and not conqueror than having all the khalasars might not really matter. I really don't care for the Dorthraki and hope their part in the last two books is minimal.

You know thinking about it, it kind of pisses me off how slow Danny's storyline progressed in the last book. It takes Tyrion the entire book to reach Mereen and by the time he gets there she's on her way out! It would have been nice if this whole ordeal with Drogon occurred halfway through Dance and then maybe we could have actually seen two of the central characters meet towards the end. But hey who knows maybe everything will all make sense when the next book comes out in 2025

By the time Dany makes it to the 7 kingdoms, most likely the wall will have already fallen. maybe she'l waste half the book riding drogon and shouting 'Fly!'. Then after maybe 5 of her chapters she'l realizes that 'yes, i still have to cross the narrow sea' then spend another 5 chapters arguing with her advisors that she cant just leave her people and finishing WoW, she's back where she started.

You know thinking about it, it kind of pisses me off how slow Danny's storyline progressed in the last book. It takes Tyrion the entire book to reach Mereen and by the time he gets there she's on her way out! It would have been nice if this whole ordeal with Drogon occurred halfway through Dance and then maybe we could have actually seen two of the central characters meet towards the end. But hey who knows maybe everything will all make sense when the next book comes out in 2025

It's funny how people around here refer to characters as if they were telling their own stories.

You do know who's fingers and brain put those words on paper? (or is that electrical currents aligning liquid crystal molecules?)

I read FOC and ADWD in two states of mind. One as just a prose reader, since I love how George can take a thread and Riff on it, that pulls me in , I am patient.

On the other hand , even as a prose reader, I can see when Riff-ing becomes , not padding, but self indulgent over elaboration. Still I can't blame George too much for this since he said he enjoyed the leisure of going into Tolstoy mode.

In fact looking at the excerpts he has released for WoW I don't see how he can wind this up in two more novels.

So as to were Dany is going, on and on .... I'd say.

I'm hoping this is the direction GRRM is headed. After she puts down Jhaqo and Mago and takes her khalasar, I'm hoping shell come back to find that Victorian has blown the horn, taken her remaining dragons and is headed back to Westros. Hopefully this will be the precipitating event that finally drives her back across the narrow sea.

We are all speculating a guessing. We have no clue how the horns work. If they work. Why they work. Who has which one. How far their range is. What a dragon can hear or sense. Etc.

• 1 month later...

Stannis is a douchebag and paranoid besides, who would want him as king? It would be like having a younger Walder Frey on the Iron Throne.

I would want him as King, because he is my King's true heir. And being a douchebag and paranoid, is good for a King. It keeps the people in line, and it keeps him cautious. Better to be paranoid in the Game of Thrones, than to be naive about the dangers playing the game poses.

"To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

It seems to me that this riddle must be done backwards. Maybe she will first journey into her darkness, or madness, perhaps through Asshai or Valyria, and to go forward with her destiny, she must go back to Meereen. To reach the west (Westeros) she must first be in the east (Essos), where she is now. To go north (to fight against the Others @ the wall), she must first journey south (restoring the iron throne).

I believe this prophecy is signifying the unification of both Essos and Westeros to defeat the Others. In the end, the Wall will come down and allow for A Time For Wolves.

I would want him as King, because he is my King's true heir. And being a douchebag and paranoid, is good for a King. It keeps the people in line, and it keeps him cautious. Better to be paranoid in the Game of Thrones, than to be naive about the dangers playing the game poses.

lol you must be british or something, go democracy!

"To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

It seems to me that this riddle must be done backwards. Maybe she will first journey into her darkness, or madness, perhaps through Asshai or Valyria, and to go forward with her destiny, she must go back to Meereen. To reach the west (Westeros) she must first be in the east (Essos), where she is now. To go north (to fight against the Others @ the wall), she must first journey south (restoring the iron throne).

I believe this prophecy is signifying the unification of both Essos and Westeros to defeat the Others. In the end, the Wall will come down and allow for A Time For Wolves.

I think she is going back right now, by going back to Vaes Dothrak, and she pass beneath the shadow of the former valyrian empire.

Archived