Arstan

Lord Elrosir

Was wondering about him returning myself. Glad to hear he is! I wonder will none book readers know who he is?

I think it will be a mixed bag, unless they make special efforts to disguise him beyond the white beard. Some will recognize him and others will not, since he was a relatively minor character in Season 1 with only a few scenes (one with Jamie & Robert, one with Robert & Ned, and then the memorable scene where he gets fired by Joff...)

Unless some dumbass at HBO decides to do a "previous on..." section at the start featuring Selmy's departure from King's Landing. Spoon feed the none readers and that. (I find "previously on..." on all shows both pointless and ruinous. I like shows that reward viewers for noticing little hints regarding future events. Without them being put on a plate for the viewer).

Besides, many professional critics who haven't read the book will soon put 2 and 2 together when they analyse the cast and realise it's the same actor. It will be somewhat awkward and clumsy -- half the audience knowing, half not -- having this character appear for a long time in the season in this disguise. Something tells me they will have Arstan reveal his identity much sooner than he did in the book.

Unless some dumbass at HBO decides to do a "previous on..." section at the start featuring Selmy's departure from King's Landing. Spoon feed the none readers and that. (I find "previously on..." on all shows both pointless and ruinous. I like shows that reward viewers for noticing little hints regarding future events. Without them being put on a plate for the viewer).

This. I hate it sooo much too..

Besides, many professional critics who haven't read the book will soon put 2 and 2 together when they analyse the cast and realise it's the same actor. It will be somewhat awkward and clumsy -- half the audience knowing, half not -- having this character appear for a long time in the season in this disguise. Something tells me they will have Arstan reveal his identity much sooner than he did in the book.

I agree that the producers will have to identify him pretty early, or run the risk of having it spoiled. But the show sure seemed to bring up Selmy's name a lot this season. If they wanted to keep him super secret, then they shouldn't have brought up his name again and again.

They don't have to keep the ruse to the viewers, only to the characters. They can't reveal him too soon to Dany because of the consequences to Jorah.

This. They aren't going to try particularly hide it from viewers -- and they may even intentionally have an obvious reveal to signal to the audience that you should know this guy.

Dany won't figure it out, but the audience will know.

They don't have to keep the ruse to the viewers, only to the characters. They can't reveal him too soon to Dany because of the consequences to Jorah.

What consequences to Jorah? The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard did not sit on the Small Council on the show the way he does in the books, so there is no reason for show-Barristan to know that Jorah was Varys’s paid snitch.

What consequences to Jorah? The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard did not sit on the Small Council on the show the way he does in the books, so there is no reason for show-Barristan to know that Jorah was Varys’s paid snitch.

hmm, good catch. I'll have to go back and watch that episode.

That's not really a problem. We know he knew of the assassination plans, and he could have found out about Jorah in any number of ways, other than being in the room in that particular scene. "I heard Varys name you as his source." That is really all it would take.

Archived