Interesting lines on the re-read? (hindsight)

winterbird

I want to know what the septa meant when Cersie asked if there was a trial in ADWD. The septa said, "Soon, but her brother."

Then the other septa hushed her. What did she mean to say? Is Loras dead, all better and ready to fight, did Wyllas show up? This just opened up a whole can of worms.

varys to ned, after ned chooses beric over loras to hunt down gregor:

'a man who has the Lannisters for his enemies would do well to make the Tyrells his friends.'

in the tourney in ned's honor, anguy wins the archery competition and thoros beats beric in the jousting.

If Ned sent Loras after the mountain he would have dashed any hopes of an alliance between Highgarden and the Rock

^Mind. Blow

Its so funny--things that are so obvious when you just think about them differently. I had never really given a second thought to the choice of Beric over Loras, except to think that the Gregor/Loras thing had to play out eventually (but at what cost to the Sandor/Gregor thing!!!). Ned just did everything wrong. Damn.

I really like this one, and would like to add a couple passages of Lady Stoneheart foreshadowing that I noticed on a recent re-read:

From AGOT, Catelyn VI:

""We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel," Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone; six brave men had died to bring her this far, and she could not even find it in her to weep for them."

And my personal favorite foreshadowing passage, from AGOT, Catelyn VII:

"Pale white mists rose off Alyssa's Tears, where the ghost waters plunged over the shoulder of the mountain to begin their long tumble down the face of the Giant's Lance. Catelyn could feel the faint touch of spray on her face. Alyssa Arryn had seen her husband, her brothers, and all her children slain, and yet in life she had never shed a tear. So in death, the gods had decreed that she would know no rest until her weeping watered the black earth of the Vale, where the men she had loved were buried. Alyssa had been dead six thousand years now, and still no drop of the torrent had ever reached the valley floor far below. Catelyn wondered how large a waterfall her own tears would make when she died."

Besides the obvious foreshadowing of Catelyn's upcoming story, I also like the potentially unintentional word play GRRM uses here, Allyssa's Tears and Tears of Lys. Possibly an early clue that the true poisoner of Jon Arryn was Lysa Arryn (more word play!)

Great catches even with a few re-reads, I still find out new insights on this board thx

In A Game of Thrones Jaime and Tyrion have this paraphrased little exchange:

"Some times I wonder which side you're on."

Tyrion grinned up at him wolfishly. "Brother you wound me. You know how much I love my family"

A hint at who Tyrion will side with in the end?

I just started re-reading GoT yesterday, and this part struck me too. Upon re-reading, I almost feel like every line has at least two meanings. It's taking me a lost longer to read because I keep analyzing each phrase, sentence, and paragraph for hidden meaning and foreshadowing. It's good fun, though and it's almost like reading a brand-new story now that I have all the background.

From Game of Thrones Catelyn VI:

" 'We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel,' Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone; six brave men had died to bring her this far, and their names were fading. "

I know George may not have purposely put that in there, but either way great Stoneheart foreshadowing.

I really like this one, and would like to add a couple passages of Lady Stoneheart foreshadowing that I noticed on a recent re-read:

From AGOT, Catelyn VI:

""We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel," Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone; six brave men had died to bring her this far, and she could not even find it in her to weep for them."

And my personal favorite foreshadowing passage, from AGOT, Catelyn VII:

"Pale white mists rose off Alyssa's Tears, where the ghost waters plunged over the shoulder of the mountain to begin their long tumble down the face of the Giant's Lance. Catelyn could feel the faint touch of spray on her face. Alyssa Arryn had seen her husband, her brothers, and all her children slain, and yet in life she had never shed a tear. So in death, the gods had decreed that she would know no rest until her weeping watered the black earth of the Vale, where the men she had loved were buried. Alyssa had been dead six thousand years now, and still no drop of the torrent had ever reached the valley floor far below. Catelyn wondered how large a waterfall her own tears would make when she died."

Besides the obvious foreshadowing of Catelyn's upcoming story, I also like the potentially unintentional word play GRRM uses here, Allyssa's Tears and Tears of Lys. Possibly an early clue that the true poisoner of Jon Arryn was Lysa Arryn (more word play!)

I didn't realize the Stoneheart one had gotten posted already. I love the foreshadowing in the Alyssa's Tears story though. I just read past that part and didn't even think of that. You really got to pay attention whenever someone in the book is recalling or telling a story.

In Storm of Swords when Sam is trying to get the contenders for Lord Commander to withdraw Cotter Pyke says "A toad grows wings and thinks he's a bloody dragon". He's talking about Slynt but I laughed because of Quentyn, who was refered to as a frog/toad prince and what happened to him with the dragons.

In a Feast for Crows in The Captains of the Guard's first chapter when Prince Doran is talking to Obara Sand:

"I will send word to you at Sunspear"

"So long as the word is war"

I found this interesting (and possibly foreshadowing) after having read the Arianne preview chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one I noticed from AGoT, in Catelyn X during the Battle of the Whispering Wood.

And she heard his direwolf, snarling and growling, heard the snap of those long teeth, the tearing of flesh, shrieks of fear and pain from man and horse alike. Was there only one wolf? It was hard to be certain.

This could be an allusion to there being an actual wolf, and the Young Wolf fighting alongside him. But, I choose to believe that, since we know Nymeria has been prowling the Riverlands, she decided to make an appearance at Robb's battle to help out!

I already mentioned this somewhere but what struck me as shocking during my GOT reread was the scene when the hired knife attacks Bran. If you read those 3-4 paragraphs it's like a miniature Red Wedding. Catelyn has a knife at her throat, loses chunks of hair, she's covered in blood and it all ends with hysterical laughter. The only difference is that she survives this time.

Other lines that were curious.

Another Catelyn chapter in GOT when Robb, Catelyn and bannermen discuss whether Robb should go and talk with Walder Frey or not in front of the Twins.

"Roose Bolton nodded. 'Go in there alone and you are his. He can sell you to the Lannisters, throw you in a dungeon or slit your throat as he likes.'"

And if I think about Robb marrying Jeyne after THIS... Stark stupidity is limitless, it would seem.

There's something in a Bran chapter too, when they learn about Robert's death and Eddard's imprisoning. It's actually a mere guess from my part, but there's this:

"One wine-sodden taleteller even claimed that Rhaegar Targaryen had returned from the dead and was marshaling a vast host of ancient heroes on Dragonstone to reclaim his father's throne."

Now, in ADWD Aegon Targaryen has returned from the dead and was marshaling a vast host to root out Stannis's seats at Storm's End and Dragonstone so he would reclaime his father's throne. I'm not sure this is trying to mean anything, maybe it's just that I so want to think something into it, but it caught my eye while reading.

Silver pennies dropping inside my blond little skull...

Eddard's beheaded Arya chapter:

- Gossips of Robert's death: "One story said the king had been killed by a boar while hunting, another that he'd died eating a boar, stuffing himself so full that he'd ruptured at the table. No, the king had died at table, others said, but only because Varys the Spider poisoned him. No, it had been the queen who poisoned him. No, he had died of pox. No, he had choked on a fish bone."

Here goes one for Joffrey. He HAD died at table. Either because somebody poisoned him (theories differ, but Margaery, who was the queen at that time, is one suspect with Grandma Thornes after they learn the truth of Joffrey) or because he choked on his wine.

- A few pages later on it goes, as the bells start ringing in KL and people wonder what happened: "Is it the boy king that's died now?" she shouted down, leaning out over the street. "Ah, that's a boy for you, they never last long."

This clearly means Joffrey. Although Robb Stark was another boy king who never lasted long in the end.

- Again just a page later commoners arguing about Robert's death circumstances again: "Ah, that's not true, it was his own brother did him, that Renly, him with his gold antlers."

This can be read two ways. 'Renly' can refer to 'his own brother' and 'him' to Robert. OR 'Renly' refers to 'him' and in that case 'his own brother' will be Stannis, as we know it later happened.

In aFFC, something Leo Tyrell says caught my eye.

Leo sat himself at theirs. “Buy me a cup of Arbor gold, Hopfrog, and perhaps I won’t inform my father of your toast. The tiles turned against me at the Checkered Hazard, and I wasted my last stag on supper. Suckling pig in plum sauce, stuffed with chestnuts and white truffles. A man must eat. What did you lads have?”

Everything you pointed out here is interesting. Foreshadowing is fun =)

I noticed this in the last Bran chapter in ACOK, when he is leaving Winterfell and looks at it:

The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones.

I couldn't help but think of Bran with Bloodraven, where the roots of the trees go deep, in the land of always winter.

This is not quite foreshadowing, but when I saw the tv show and they made it so clear that Renly was gay, I thought it was a stretch and they were taking some serious liberties with the character. Re-reading aCoK, and the day before Stannis kills him we have:

Renly (of Margeary):"...she came to me a maid"

Stannis: "in your bed she's like to die that way"

And then, when Cat goes off to the sept Renly invites Loras to stay in his tent and "pray" with him.

Wow, can't believe I didn't get that... I always thought I had really good gaydar.

Hah, Alva829, it's interesting to see people that didn't get Renly/Loras in their first ASOIAF read, "find" it in their re-read. There will be quite a bit of those: "What the hell, why didn't I see this the first time?" for Renly/Loras for you especially in ASOS and even AFFC.

I lately re-read Tyrions trail in ASOS and found some things about Tywin (gnashing his teeth throughout the procedings and really seeming to want Tyrion to "get off" at least execution) interesting that I ignored at first.

Archived