What one thing would you improve in the tv series in season 3 if you could!

The Hound of Ulster

I think you are right about that. But give me at least a twenty-minute scene in the Twins to end the episode.

I'd say about 10 minutes at the start of the episode, maybe 5-10 in the middle, and then about 10-15 in the end. So it feels like it's still focusing on the wedding, but not so much it becomes obvious something big is about to happen.

I'd say about 10 minutes at the start of the episode, maybe 5-10 in the middle, and then about 10-15 in the end. So it feels like it's still focusing on the wedding, but not so much it becomes obvious something big is about to happen.

That should do, I can't wait to see it on screen, and I can't wait to see the face of my mother when she sees it!

One thing that would improve the show:

The writers should re-read Jon's chapters and actually write a character that is more believable as a future leader rather than the idiot they had Kit Harrington portray in season three. Also, they should recognise that the story north of the wall is incredibly important and deserves space to breathe. I watched the first two seasons over the last week and the change between seasons is noticeable; The Wall and the NW in S1 were much better developed than in S2 where the story of the NW felt like an afterthought.

Maybe D&D have been let in on information we haven't but I think of Jon, Dany, and Tyrion as the main protagonists and that hasn't come across to my non-book reader friends who watch the show.

There are a lot of little, borderline nitpicky things, but I'm going to refrain on touching upon those, because most of them hardly matter.

The main thing for me is that it seems the show needs to do a better job of trusting the books. This primarily involves examining WHY characters do the things they do in the books and incorporating them into the show. Not focus entirely on WHAT they do and make up a weak story to go along with it. The biggest offender of this was Robb and Talisa, and their cheap love story. It would've been so much better if he had gotten injured in the battle and she tended to him (as Jeyne Westerling nonetheless) afterward like in the books, with Bran & Rickon's deaths leading to her comforting him. It would've been so much interesting on screen and no less time consuming than their several scenes of boring dialogue, especially if Robb were thought to be critically injured, and it actually sheds a less negative light on Robb, seeing as how he marries her out of honor rather than total selfishness. Because of the changes, I honestly worry that the RW won't have the same impact it did in the books, all because Robb is less likable IMO.

I think she extend the length of the season, ten episodes will never do justice to a complex 800+ page book. So many scenes seem rushed or are dropped altogether, adding more episodes would help the plot significantly.

Well your wish has been granted. They're dedicating twenty episodes to ASoS.

I have to agree with ?HouseLark, Jon's scenes take up a large proportion of the books, something they did spot on S1, but needed improving season. 2. I'd say more emphasis on visual actions. I know the show is for people who don't eead the books to so they need the story portrayed vocally but a lot of characterisation in the books is through the importance of their actions. Still, these don't mar the best Fantasy Tv series in history !

There are a lot of little, borderline nitpicky things, but I'm going to refrain on touching upon those, because most of them hardly matter.

The main thing for me is that it seems the show needs to do a better job of trusting the books. This primarily involves examining WHY characters do the things they do in the books and incorporating them into the show. Not focus entirely on WHAT they do and make up a weak story to go along with it. The biggest offender of this was Robb and Talisa, and their cheap love story. It would've been so much better if he had gotten injured in the battle and she tended to him (as Jeyne Westerling nonetheless) afterward like in the books, with Bran & Rickon's deaths leading to her comforting him. It would've been so much interesting on screen and no less time consuming than their several scenes of boring dialogue, especially if Robb were thought to be critically injured, and it actually sheds a less negative light on Robb, seeing as how he marries her out of honor rather than total selfishness. Because of the changes, I honestly worry that the RW won't have the same impact it did in the books, all because Robb is less likable IMO.

I know people are hopeful that S3 will be a more faithful adaptation but I strongly suspect the damage has already been done.

Focus on the mysticism more. I agree that there's a great missed opportunity (and possibly vital plot rewriting) in not giving much focus to the likes of the Red God, the Prince that Was Promised, and the other various omens. I can understand why. These things don't come up for years in TV show time. What it's missing in impacting the current situation though is the relationship of Davos and Melisandre, Arya and Jaquen, (soon to be) Arya and TBWB, Bran's overall arc, and Jon's relationship with the wildlings. I don't think establishing Targaryen history in this is important. I wouldn't care for a flashback with Rhaegar; we missed that boat. What is important though is making this particular aspect of the culture evident so that decisions made by these people make sense. It's not asking much.

Defiantly longer episodes.... Also More episodes in each season, Hate that HBO still stick to their 13 episodes max in each series seasons, Also as the other guy suggested, more banners!

Defiantly longer episodes.... Also More episodes in each season, Hate that HBO still stick to their 13 episodes max in each series seasons, Also as the other guy suggested, more banners!

The episodes are an hour give or take a couple minutes, just like every HBO show. This is much longer than most network drama series which typically run around 43 minutes after commercial time is removed.

The production schedule only allows them to shoot 10 hours of the series if they want to have the season start on time. That's why they started filming Season 3 almost immediately after the 2nd season ended. So you can either have them cheap it up and shoot on lots of soundstages and not use hardly any VFX shots for the dragons or direwolves like other shows instead of on location all over the world or you can wait 18 months in between seasons and have Bran end up looking like Sean Bean by the time the series is over.

Isn't the solution of simply not trying to cram the 3rd book all into 1 season good enough?

The episodes are an hour give or take a couple minutes, just like every HBO show. This is much longer than most network drama series which typically run around 43 minutes after commercial time is removed.

The production schedule only allows them to shoot 10 hours of the series if they want to have the season start on time. That's why they started filming Season 3 almost immediately after the 2nd season ended. So you can either have them cheap it up and shoot on lots of soundstages and not use hardly any VFX shots for the dragons or direwolves like other shows instead of on location all over the world or you can wait 18 months in between seasons and have Bran end up looking like Sean Bean by the time the series is over.

Isn't the solution of simply not trying to cram the 3rd book all into 1 season good enough?

Yeah your right, but they should do at least 13 episodes max each season but as you said how the average for a series is 43 minutes and GoT is just under an hour it basically adds up for another few episodes with the extra 20 minutes added x10

Yeah your right, but they should do at least 13 episodes max each season but as you said how the average for a series is 43 minutes and GoT is just under an hour it basically adds up for another few episodes with the extra 20 minutes added x10

I'm sure they'd do 13 episodes if they could but D&D have repeatedly said that because of the sheer enormity of the production schedule, they only have the time and money to shoot 10 hours of television in order to get it on the air in time.

In many ways, because of the size of the cast, the number of locations and the production values involved with constructing and shooting all these intricate sets, this is similar to shooting a Hollywood movie. A movie only fills up between 1.5 and 2.5 hours of screentime and requires months of writing, pre-production, casting and rehearsals, several months of shooting followed by months of post-production, editing and scoring. This show needs to create 10 hours of material and go through that entire cycle in less than a year. I think we should be very happy that they are able to accomplish even this. As you can see by how quickly things got rolling for this season, there's really not much in the way of an "offseason" for the producers.

I'm sure they'd do 13 episodes if they could but D&D have repeatedly said that because of the sheer enormity of the production schedule, they only have the time and money to shoot 10 hours of television in order to get it on the air in time.

In many ways, because of the size of the cast, the number of locations and the production values involved with constructing and shooting all these intricate sets, this is similar to shooting a Hollywood movie. A movie only fills up between 1.5 and 2.5 hours of screentime and requires months of writing, pre-production, casting and rehearsals, several months of shooting followed by months of post-production, editing and scoring. This show needs to create 10 hours of material and go through that entire cycle in less than a year. I think we should be very happy that they are able to accomplish even this. As you can see by how quickly things got rolling for this season, there's really not much in the way of an "offseason" for the producers.

True, Well im just greatfull that they have turned it into an amazing show. Ill be happy with anything at this point, I rather take quality over quantity, and thats exactly what the viewers are getting : )

Spend one freaking hour on this particular wedding we are all waiting for, including Arya's travels of course. How awesome would that be? They better not rush that scene.

It would be totally not awesome. Its the Red thats great. Not the Wedding. 45 minutes of watching a medieval wedding mixed with Arya's approach would be a terrible episode.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not someone who demands action and fighting at all times. What I love about this show is the slow build up to things. But can you imagine how lame that would be.

They arrive at the wedding. Then theres a wedding. Theres a lot of whispering. A lot of dancing. More whispering, more dancing.

Try to remember when you read it for the first time. Its not like Blackwater. There was a ton of stuff going on there over multiple multiple chapters. When you are reading the RW you don't know anything is really at stake. You are waiting to get it over with so you can see how Robb goes to try to take Moat Cailin. Its shocking because you don't see it coming.

If anything, Joffrey's wedding was more interesting from start to finish. With a greater build-up of suspence to a shocking outcome.

Well your wish has been granted. They're dedicating twenty episodes to ASoS.

I don't think that is true. All I've ever seen is they used the words Split over 2 seasons. That does not at all mean that Storm of Swords will be 20 episodes.

I think that most of SOS will be in season 3 all the way through both weddings. And probably through Jon's return to the wall ending with Ygritte dying.

Season 4 should have Tyrion's Trial and Sansa's escape and the Mountain/Viper duel. And then All of the Jon stuff. I haven't read AFFC or ADWD yet. But I expect we will be working on both of those books by midway through season 4.

One thing I'd prefer is not stretching out plot lines , Danny may be a favorite but in Season 2 instead of having her appear every 2nd episode doing very little and giving her just like 5 minutes screen time , I'd prefer if she was there for just about the last three episodes for a chunk of time. What was shown about her could have been done in a few episodes and it would have been better that way. Same applied to Jon

• more episodes per season
  • longer scenes per POV/character focus. most of the season 2 episodes felt prematurely done, too many cuts into too many different characters. perhaps it would be better if they have like less than 4 characters to focus on per episode... like first focus on cat/robb/jaime/brienne, then king's landing/sansa/tyrion, then stannis/jon/samwell, etc

Archived