GRRM: "Book 6 of Ice & Fire won't be published until 2014

In this interview, he also says that he has 200 MS pages written.

I wonder though, is this more or less what he had in 2011 when he finished his work on ADWD.

But even if you knew that, you wouldn't necessarily know how much was first draft and how much was final, how much had been kept and how much thrown away, how much might yet have to be thrown away or rewritten as the process of writing progresses, or the answers to a dozen other relevant questions.

Never try to read the entrails of someone else's writing progress on inadequate information. It'll only drive you mad and it won't help you predict the release date, which won't help with the wait anyway. Take it from one who knows. ;)

George doesn't really say it's coming in 2014. He indicates that it won't be this year, it won't be next year, but he hopes that 2014 could happen. It's not a deadline, it's a hope.

At the same round table, he indicates that he has about 200 pages more-or-less in final form, but also about 200 pages in partial form, which none of the Spanish media seem to be noting.

You can watch the round table interview (use headphones, audio is quite low) at the SSM collection

I would imagine, given previous comments and his general reluctance to give specific dates, that what he actually said was more like "2014 or later/at the earliest." Not that I wouldn't love to see the book in 2014, and it's still at least possible, but I wouldn't read too much into this.

Or, what Ran said while I was typing. I've got to stop fiddling with word choices...

Well, he doesn't really says it comes out in 2014, only that it won't be before that. I don't think any of us expected something different anyway, but I do sincerely hope it ends up being 2014, though, especially if it's after the World Cup - for I doubt anyone will be able to read anything during that event here in Brazil, even if you don't like the sport, like me.

I see how he can get Winds of Winter out before the show catches up to where it needs to film that material, but it seems literally impossible to me at this point for him to get A Dream of Spring out before the show catches up to that. Not in a mean way, or a complaining way, I just honestly don't see how there is any possibility of it happening.

it depends on how your seeing the series going if you go on a year/season per published volume the series that lines up with aDwD may well not be aired until 2016 ( a storm of swords was released in 2 volumes here in the uk) and that would be depending on if the tv series splits aDwD into 2 series (the book was released in 2 volumes in the uk as well) thus stretching out the current publication to series span up to 2017, not that i'm saying i will happily wait until then for the next book, i'm just saying that GRRM is not really in a massive rush to get tWoW finished by 2014 and as he's mis judged publication dates in the past i'm not going to be getting my hopes up on a 2014 release date, as much as this saddens me.

Jolene I would agree we might have an issue because no way do I see AFFC being aired on its own.

Show

GOT 2011

ACOK 2012

ASTOS part 1 2013

ASTOS part 2/AFFC 2014

AFFC/ADWD 2015

ADWD 2016

This is what I see too, except I'd say AFFC/ADWD 2015, AFFC/ADWD 2016. And that's airdates - they need to start producing it 6 months earlier and writing the scripts/breaking down the storylines earlier than that.

and if he cant reach the deadline they can always do a prequel season or two about Robert's rebellion and the first 14 years of his rule, it COULD be great if they treated it right. Both of the directors have shown interest in altering the story line slightly, so maybe a loose history could make for a great season or two...

I would love a tv season, short story, prequel book, or even some flashback chapters about this time period. The young Robert and young Ned Stark at war with Rhaegar! It would be great...

I am actually hoping for a Ned Stark POV in Winds of Winter or Dream of Spring... as told by Bran the Greenseer viewing the past through the eyes of his dad as a young warrior. This may actually be the manner in which GrrM reveals Ice and Fires biggest secrets to us.

Anyways, way off topic... for another thread maybe...

Archived