#1 Michael J Sullivan

Michael J Sullivan

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hey all,

I just finished the series up last night and let me start by saying I've not read the books. But I don't understand something. Winterfell was surrounded by a group of soldiers sent by Robb to rescue his brothers. The few men holding Winterfell from the Iron islands left. Next thing we know Winterfell is burned to the ground and there are none of Rob's troops about. So does this mean that Rob has a traitor in his midst and the troops that were sent to "liberate" Winterfell were actuall told to go destroy it? I feel like I really missed something here.

#2 Masamune

Masamune

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Yeeaaah... this was pretty sloppily handled in the show and a major deviation from the books.

Since you're asking spoilerish questions:
Spoiler

Edited by Masamune, 28 July 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#3 Michael J Sullivan

Michael J Sullivan

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Yeeaaah... this was pretty sloppily handled in the show and a major deviation from the books.

Since you're asking spoilerish questions:

Spoiler

Thanks for answering - I'm quite surprised - this seems like a pretty major deviation then. Based on what you said the movie did handle it incredibly poorly because from the perspective of someone not reading the books - I couldn't figure out what happened to the troops sent to liberate Winterfell.

#4 Lannister Hamster

Lannister Hamster

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

I think this would be explained next season - Lord Bolton did say his son would save Winterfell in one of the earlier episodes

#5 Scottish Natural Water

Scottish Natural Water

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

It was a major deviation, but I personally feel that the deviation was purposely done to give Theon more to do next season. As we all know, Theon doesn't appear in A Storm of Swords, and I think by having the Bastard of Bolton maybe track the Ironborn, and defeat them, capture Theon, and possibly reveal that he burned Winterfell whilst searching for him could be a smart way of including Theon a little bit more. Perhaps then also show him being tortured by the Bastard every now and then in some scenes.

#6 7V3N

7V3N

Balancing Act

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Spoiler