Is Hot Pie overrated as a baker?

Khal Pono

The fact that she broke Lem Lemoncloak's nose is metaphorical and not to be overlooked--indeed, it is suggestive of her disdain and disregard for all things citrus.

I have not laughed so hard in a while.

On the other hand, I offer a counterargument. Hot Pie has spoiled her for any OTHER things citrus with his genius - she can't stand for anything less than a Hot Pie lemoncake, and therefore is compelled to lash out at Lem.

The real translation of the Valaryan prophesy does not refer to the Prince, or Princess, that was promised, but the Pie that was promised. It should be perfectly clear that Hot Pie, the only baker who gets any page time, is going to be the one to forge the Pie. With fire! And and salt! Truly, he is Azor Ahai Reborn.

Brilliant, this is some good, relevant stuff.

Yes indeed.

I thank you Khal Pono, on the behalf of the fandom, for lifting the veil from our eyes. We were living in darkness but now we can see, and we are greatful to you for sharing your brave thoughts.

Lets break this down into tiny factions. His name is Hot Pie. H is the 8th letter, O is the 15th, T is the 20th, P is 16, I is nr 8 and E is nr 5. All this together equals 75. Add then 591 and you get....*drumroll*..............*drumroll*.......................*even louder drumroll*...........................666(the number of the beast, the beast of cooking)! Coincidence? I think not!

I drooled over my book over those tarts - one of which Arya stole from under his nose. I sincerely doubt the master bakers wasted any time training him to make them - who wants to be up in the middle of the night schlepping cookie sheets and wads of tart dough - if a master baker is up he is cooking something special.

The sexism is strong in this one. Would you say the same thing if Hot Pie had been a girl instead? Of course not-then it would have been perfectly natural-nay expected-that she be good in baking. You'd be bending over to find excuses for her-her age, her displaced childhood, her poverty-but because Hot Pie is male, he is doubly scrutinised.

I think that people claiming the moral highground on this issue is simply ridiculous. Those who say or imply that there was something wrong/ immoral about Hot Pies pies are simply failing to look at things in context, and unfairly holding pies up to modern day morality.

In our enlightened day and age, while we all stand virtually inundated with images of the unrealistically perfect and technically flawless pies of Baker Square, Perkins, and the like, we have grown to expect certain things from pies. However, we simply cannot judge hot pies pie making behavior in light of such standards. When we judge Hot Pies pastry making capabilities in light of such modern expectations, we do a service to him, ourselves, and the imaginary world GRRM is trying to create.

I am also dismayed to see people calling out Hot Pie for roughly beating down his dough on a regular basis. Yes, to many of us such treatment may look coarse and brutal. But in the context of Westeros, Hot Pie is actually showing incredible gentleness and restraint towards the puffed up, prideful, innately treacherous baked good in question. And furthermore, while I myself would never advocate beating dough, flour, or food materials of any kinds, it must be said—that dough clearly had it coming. Personally, I cheered when Arya walked in and gaped in shock at the sight of Hot Pie beating the living daylights out of it.

Furthermore, bad pies are clearly the norm in Westeros, rather than the rarity they are in our society. Looking upon Hot Pies baked creations with the norms of the modern day food industry in mind is wildly unfair.

ETA: Has the fact that Hot Pie is clearly the Mad King Aerys bastard and a secret Targaryen been discussed yet? Or does that one deserve a thread of its own?

• 3 months later...

The sexism is strong in this one. Would you say the same thing if Hot Pie had been a girl instead? Of course not-then it would have been perfectly natural-nay expected-that she be good in baking. You'd be bending over to find excuses for her-her age, her displaced childhood, her poverty-but because Hot Pie is male, he is doubly scrutinised.

This

• 1 year later...

If that was known then I knew nothing! (Notice how the Dothraki are always having to tell each other the things that are known as if they don't know what they know?)

Hot pies burn, I prefer my pies warm. :cool4:

Cold pie often brings out more of the flavor, paradoxically, because when the pie is hot it's burning your tongue and you kind of pull back from tasting it fully on account of the pain. Apple pie I've noticed this with particularly. It's tastier cold. When there's icecream to throw on there, then I'd heat the pie for contrast. But in the absence of icecream...... Cold Pie!!!!!!!! (THis is not a criticism of Hot Pie as a person, just as a baker, because his name implies he has zero tolerance for cold pies, and I believe there is another way.)

<snip

ETA: Has the fact that Hot Pie is clearly the Mad King Aerys bastard and a secret Targaryen been discussed yet? Or does that one deserve a thread of its own?

No, no, not a secret Targ. Hot Pie is clearly a secret Manderly.

Evidence:

Lord Manderly is fat.

Hot Pie is fat.

Lord Manderly loves food.

Hot Pie loves food.

Lord Manderly has a feisty girl around (Wylla).

Hot Pie had a feisty girl around (Arya). [and both their names are two syllables long and end with "a"]

Lord Manderly helps and supports the Starks.

Hot Pie helps and supports a Stark.

Lord Manderly is a knight of the order of the Green Hand.

Hot Pie was friends with Lommy Greenhands.

Lord Manderly is Warden of the White Knife.

Hot Pie is white and uses a knife in his baking.

Lord Manderly is known for pies.

Hot Pie is known for pies. Heck, it's in his name!

Lord Manderly's first name is Wyman.

Wyman rhymes with Pieman.

House Manderly's words are not known, but "Hot pie!" seems like a good bet.

Archived