Is Jon Snow the true hero of this series?

Davos' fingertip

Now i know many would say this series has no heroes. But tbh, Jon is the most likely out of all to be the 'hero'. Just like Harry from HP and Frodo from LOTR, he is an underdog who is the chosen one. There are lots of other characters who are fighting wars and going through all sorts of conflicts, but Jon is fighting the 'real' enemy as the Lord Commander of the Nightswatch, and in the end of the series he will have the most important role. Also,If the theory of R + L = J is true, he is the song of ice and fire, which will certainly make him the hero.

He's one of, but not the only one. Daenerys is up there. Along with Tyrion and perhaps Arya.

I agree with Tyrion. GRRM has said Tyrion is his favorite character. I would not be surprised to find Dany dead of the strong gripes or betrayed for love or whatever and never make it to Westeros. Arya I think will play a role in the big events to come and then fade away into obscurity with an old cat whose ear is mising a chunk and a dire wolf.

I don't know if he can be the hero if he is AA, a hero must chose to do the right thing, no predestined to do it. We should wait and see, the hero of the series will sacrifice himself for the good of the innocent and won't come back

He obviously is. I don't know why the question is about a 'true' hero, though? Is there any other kind in this story? The underdog is always the true hero, and Jon was so obviously meant to be read as the one true obvious underdog-hero, I don't know how anyone would even be surprised at that. Modern readers mostly don't have a set of fake-medieval anti-bastard prejudice attached to them, as far as I know.

The song of Ice and Fire is the song of Dany and Jon. Dany is going to be just as important as Jon when it comes to the salvation of Westeros. I agree that Tyrion also has a role to play, and that I'm still convinced that this story will end tragically for most of the characters still alive (With the exception of Sansa and Baby Rickon), but trust that a combination of Dany and Jon will save the realm.

He's the hero for sure. Just because the series doesn't seem to have good guys and bad guys all the time, in the end there's gotta be some sort of resolution, and whoever accomplishes that is the hero. Since Jon's been so set up to be that hero, it only makes sense for him to be. There will be other ones, but I think Jon's got the best chance for being the "main" hero, chosen one, Azor Ahai, whatever. Still, I can't be one hundred percent sure that whoever Azor Ahai is will have been the main hero when all is said and done. They probably will, but who knows with ASOIAF.

Martin's thoughts:

"I like grey characters, fantasy for too long has been focused on very stereotypical heroes and villains," Martin said. "And when I look around, I don't see pure white shining heroes and absolutely black villains, I see a lot of flawed human beings who have it in them to be heroes or villains; it's a matter of the choices that they make in crucial periods in their lives, in moments of stress and emotional turmoil."

Maybe Jon will be the hero in the end. But let me play devil's advocate here. What kind of choice did Jon just make in a major moment of stress and emotional turmoil? To leave the Wall, break his vows, and march south with a wildling army against the Lord of Winterfell. Thinking of his Watch brothers, "He did not need them now. He did not want them." The capper on the increasing arrogance that he's displayed throughout the book.

And how will Jon react to the stressful situations that arise in the next book? Himself being "dead," chaos at the Wall as Watch and wildlings kill each other -- this arrogance will only further grow as he thinks of what fools they all are to destroy everything he's "built" (and he has a point!), and it will convince him that only he is fit to rule, no one else can be trusted with the responsibility.

And how will the increasingly arrogant, convinced-only-he-is-fit-to-rule Jon react when he finds out about his parentage?

I agree with Tyrion. GRRM has said Tyrion is his favorite character. I would not be surprised to find Dany dead of the strong gripes or betrayed for love or whatever and never make it to Westeros. Arya I think will play a role in the big events to come and then fade away into obscurity with an old cat whose ear is mising a chunk and a dire wolf.

Favorite character doesn't mean 'hero'. GRRM said he was his favorite character because he likes to write about Tyrion (because of his fun personality). Tyrion isn't really the hero, he will be more of a supporting character in the end of the book it seems.

This is a Song of Ice and Fire. Jon Snow is Stark + Targaryen: Ice + Fire. This whole series is a song to Jon. It is Jon's song.

My opinion, at least.

Ice - Starks, Winterfell, Winter, the Wall, the north, the land of always winter, the Others

Fire - Targaryens, dragons, summer, the south?, Melisandre & other red priests, R'hllor

Some obviously parallel. Starks - Targaryens, winter-summer, north-south (that might be a stretch), the Others vs. R'hllor

I think we see the contrast of ice and fire all throughout the series in many different forms. But, I believe A Song of Ice and Fire is a combination of a doomed love between the two - ice (Lyanna Stark) and Fire (Rhaegar Targaryen) - the fallout/consequences and aftermath of that and the battle between the two gods, R'hllor and the other. Those two things seemingly are linked by the prophecies of the prince that was promised and Rhaegar's belief that it was on of his children. All things considered, that would certainly point to Jon Snow being the main character in the story. Nothing else in the series combines both ice and fire into one package, save Jon Snow.

The beauty of Martin's work is how significant and important all the characters are. The depth of his characters and the story just draws you in to all of them. I really don't think so much about who will be the hero in the end or who will win or live or die. I just love the books and the story. I can't get enough of it.

Actually Stannis is the true hero in the definition of the word. Similar personality as Jon, was also the underdog and the reluctant hero. I'm rooting for him anyways...

Stannis is being set up as a villian, and not a hero in the series. Since, Stannis sees himself as AA reborn, what do you think will happen when the true AA shows up? For the hero to truly take his place as the savior of the realm, Stannis needs to be taken care of.

Stannis is being set up as a villian, and not a hero in the series. Since, Stannis sees himself as AA reborn, what do you think will happen when the true AA shows up? For the hero to truly take his place as the savior of the realm, Stannis needs to be taken care of.

I have to disagree with you about Stannis being set up as a "villain." I think with Jon's support he will end up on the Iron Throne.

Further, like many other posters I believe that Dany is being set up to be Jon's main antagonist. I say antagonist instead of villain because I don't see GRRM making the inevitable conflict between Jon and Dany a battle of evil v. good.

Archived