How the Secret Targaryens Might Fit Into the Story

J. Stargaryen

Finally, after some thought, I've come up with a theory regarding the reason for the secret Targaryens. I had been fixating on the question of "Why?", that so many had asked. Really, why do we need any more of these inbred dregs running around?

We already have: Dany and Jon; probably. Bloodraven and Aemon; posthumously. Cersei and Jaime; possibly. Even (f)Aegon and Tyrion; but probably not.

Bluntly put, the theory attempts to blend together the secret Targaryens storyline and the Three Heads of the Dragon (3HotD) prophecy. Oodles of variations exist within the theory. Some good, some bad. Instead of flooding this post with text detailing all of the possibilities and ramifications, I will list what I feel are the most relevant points and leave room for further discussion, if anyone is interested.

---

This theory assumes that:

the 3HotD are three Targaryens, or Targaryen descendants and; either Cersei & Jaime or Tyrion (C&J/T) are the Mad King's bastards (Maaaybe even all three); the strong likelihood that not all of the candidates for secret Targdom are secret Targs; i.e., that some of these candidates are red herrings for the real secret Targaryens.

This theory does not assume or predict what exactly 'Three Heads of the Dragon' means. It does currently allow for multiple interpretations in that regard. For example: the oft mentioned three dragon riders (3DR), three rulers, AAR as a holy trinity incarnate of sorts, etc.

Mostly, this theory provides an answer to the question Why do we need secret Targaryens.

- According to this theory, because we only have one confirmed, viable* Targaryen at present, George is required to introduce at least two more Targaryen descendants. ("descendants" in the event that one or more of the potential dragon heads is a bastard, and therefore not a Targaryen by name or birth.)

- It would seem unlikely and impractical for George to introduce two new characters to fulfill these major roles in book 6 of the series. (I'm not even sure where two new Targaryens would come from. Long lost nuncles Aendy & Raendy?) If the above is true, yet you need to add multiple Targaryens to the story, the only option is to reveal that two familar characters have actually been secret Targaryens this entire time. In other words, we've already met our last two heads of the dragon.

- Along with Dany, our dragon head candidates are Jon Snow, (f)Aegon, Jaime, and Tyrion. (I have discounted Cersei as a potential candidate due to her anti-heroic character.)

- Knowing that two spots are likely already filled by Dany and Jon Snow, we will be left with the mystery of the third and final head. This will be revealed when we discover the true parentage of our remaining three candidates: (f)Aegon, and Jaime or Tyrion - who is really Targaryen, and who is red herring?.

---

In short: The reason for the secret Targaryens is that we need at least three of them to fulfill the Three Heads of the Dragon prophecy. The reason we have excess candidates is to provide red herrings for real secret Targs. Once we know the true parentage of Jon Snow, (f)Aegon, (Cersei &) Jaime and Tyrion, we will know who our three heads are. Short. Simple. Linear.

*Bloodraven, being more tree than dragon at this point, seems highly unlikely to figure into this part of the story. At least in my opinion.

Apologies in advance if anyone has already proposed this theory. I haven't seen anything attempting to tie together the 3HotD and secret Targaryens, though it almost seems likely given the number of 3HotD theories floating around.

I couldn't find the SSM, but I know Martin said that the 3 heads of the dragon (dragon riders in this case) do not have to be Targaryens. So there really doesn't have to be any more secret ones.

George says:

"Three heads of the dragon... yes... but the third will not nessesarily BE a Targaryen..."
http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1261/

Now what exactly does 'not necessarily a Targ' mean? Is Jon Snow, even if Rhaegar's fully legitimate son, necessarily a Targaryen? He's been in the North his entire life, raised by Ned Stark. What about Jaime Lannister, if he is indeed Aerys II's bastard? He wouldn't necessarily be a Targaryen, would he?

Certainly these aren't definitive answers. At the same time, I don't think the theory I proposed can be ruled out using that GRRM quote.

I'm not trying to dismantle your theory. I just take Martin's comment to mean that the literal riders of the dragons do not have to be Targaryens. I strongly doubt that any of the Lannisters are Targaryens. I also don't see why or how Jaime or Cersei would be riding one. I can see an argument for Tyrion riding one, but he's not a Targ.

So of the living Targaryens, we have Jon, Dany and Aegon (a Blackfyre counts as a Targaryen, I think), but there's compelling reasons to believe that Euron/ Victarion, Bran and/or Tyrion may ride one at some point, none of whom are Targs. A dragon can have more than one rider, and I get the sense that the Ironborn who attempt to ride are not long for this world. So my guess is that there will be more than 3 total dragon riders, even though there are only 3 Targaryens in the mix.

I'm not trying to dismantle your theory. I just take Martin's comment to mean that the literal riders of the dragons do not have to be Targaryens. I strongly doubt that any of the Lannisters are Targaryens. I also don't see why or how Jaime or Cersei would be riding one. I can see an argument for Tyrion riding one, but he's not a Targ.

So of the living Targaryens, we have Jon, Dany and Aegon (a Blackfyre counts as a Targaryen, I think), but there's compelling reasons to believe that Euron/ Victarion, Bran and/or Tyrion may ride one at some point, none of whom are Targs. A dragon can have more than one rider, and I get the sense that the Ironborn who attempt to ride are not long for this world. So my guess is that there will be more than 3 total dragon riders, even though there are only 3 Targaryens in the mix.

The theory I proposed does not specify that the three heads are dragon riders. It only allows for that possibility.

And again, re: the Martin quote, you can interpret it whichever way you like. That's your prerogative. I, however, feel the quote is ambiguous. At the least, I feel as though the interpretation I gave in the previous post cannot be ruled out at this time.

ETA: No offense taken at any attempted "dismantling". :) It's fair game, and your objections are not without reason.

I wonder if there will be a time gap at some point, because it appears that of the 3 only Drogon is capable of being ridden (albeit clumsily). That time gap however will turn these guys into behemoths used for war.

The problem I have with the 3-headed dragon bit is that it's widely assumed that the three riders will be fighting on the same side. I think Varys may have an ace up his sleeve to land a dragon for Aegon, and by all appearances Euron seems to be close to nabbing one as well. If that happens, forget the Dance of Dragons 2.0, we're gonna have an all-out Ball.

Part of the inspiration for my theory stems from this thread: Secret Targaryens, why does it bother people (hat tip to The Summer Islander) So, I am well aware of the general distaste for the notion of secret Targaryens. After all, there are still people who can't stand the idea that R+L=J, never mind (f)Aegon. Suggest that Cersei and Jaime or Tyrion might also be secret Targs and you can cue up The Rains of Castamere.

That said, I am a little surprised that when this topic is brought up people seem unwilling to dig a little deeper, despite their reservations. Because, after all, Secret Targaryens does seem to be a theme in aSoIaF. I'm curious why, and what George's endgame is here. Is it simply "Aha, fuckers, we're back!" or something more? Is he M. Night Shyamalaning us, or is there a specific reason for this potential twist?

These are some of the questions I was hoping to answer, along with countering the charges of lazy writing, and such. Because, if A+J=C&J, that's not lazy writing. That's actually pretty damn clever. Hiding a big clue like incest out in the open would be rather cunning, if you ask me. Especially when contrasted with the much subtler clues about Jon's parentage.

Cersei and Jaime Lannister are Lannisters. Or else we have two more dragons. One in Dorne and one on the Throne.

Which would make for an ironic twist. Robert hated the Targaryens, yet possibly ended up restoring them to the throne, through a bastard line.

Archived